Why DON'T you believe in other gods? | Page 7 | INFJ Forum

Why DON'T you believe in other gods?

No one believes that! I don't know anyone that does. No one under the age of 75.

So if you've realised that parts of the bible aren't true, why completely believe any of it?

The two main reasons religion exists is to explain how we came into existence and what happens when we die

If one of these central tenents has been decisively proven to be false, why believe the other one?

How do you decide what parts of the bible are true and which aren't? Is it just the ones that have been proven wrong that are metaphors and the rest is true? That seems a little silly to me

No, I just know how to read and don't pay attention to people that don't. *shrug*

...and that didn't mean you. Lol! Sorry, if it sounded that way.

Hmmmm. Horns. Pitchfork

Don't make me smight you

Reactions: CindyLou
oooooooOOOOOooooh the Queen's English! :D

I speak American buddy! ;)

I'll Buss a cap in yo ass homie. Don't trip BIAAAATCH!!

*shivers*

I feel dirty....

So if you've realised that parts of the bible aren't true, why completely believe any of it?

The two main reasons religion exists is to explain how we came into existence and what happens when we die

If one of these central tenents has been decisively proven to be false, why believe the other one?

How do you decide what parts of the bible are true and which aren't? Is it just the ones that have been proven wrong that are metaphors and the rest is true? That seems a little silly to me

The bible in no place ever mentions the age of the earth or universe. Also, the Genesis creation story is CLEARLY and I mean CLEARLY not written to be a literal scientific narration of creation and even the early church fathers didn't interpret it as such even when they had no scientific reason to interpret it otherwise. Why? Because its OBVIOUS? A book that reads everything was created in six days; CPR on a man's nose *poof* life begins, ( <--- argument for abortion if you're talking to a fundie) talking serpents, tree of knowledge, tree of life...yeah, clearly not supposed to be read literally because it wasn't written that way. The cues are right there in the text. Its not about how we got here, its about us, our human condition and WHY we are here.

The bible in no place ever mentions the age of the earth or universe. Also, the book of Genesis is CLEARLY and I mean CLEARLY not written to be a literal scientific narration of creation and even the early church fathers didn't interpret it as such even when they had no scientific reason to interpret it otherwise. Why? Because its OBVIOUS? A book that reads everything was created in six days; CPR on a man's nose *poof* life begins, talking serpents, tree of knowledge, tree of life...yeah, clearly not supposed to be read literally because it wasn't written that way. The cues are right there in the text. Its not about how we got here, its about us, our human condition and WHY we are here.

Then it has nothing to say about the nature of reality

If it is just a parable of how to live your life thats great. So is Star Trek

Then it has nothing to say about the nature of reality

If it is just a parable of how to live your life thats great. So is Star Trek

Correct, it is not about the nature of our physical reality. It is a spiritual book about our spiritual reality that has only been interpreted as literal recently by people that don't understand allegory, or myth. I'm not trying to be a bitch. Its true. Its like some people want to be willfully ignorant of anything other than just the very basic low hanging fruit type of beliefs people have but are the most vocal. Which, I understand to a degree but you want to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Thanks! :)

Correct, it is not about the nature of our physical reality. It is a spiritual book about our spiritual reality that has only been interpreted as literal recently by people that don't understand allegory, or myth. I'm not trying to be a bitch. Its true. Its like some people want to be willfully ignorant of anything other than just the very basic low hanging fruit type of beliefs people have but are the most vocal. Which, I understand to a degree but you want to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Thanks! :)

I'm not saying you should dismiss everything in the bible based on some of it not being true. I'm saying that taking the majority of your beliefs from a single, exceptionally unreliable source is not a smart move. There are lots of really good books out there that are far more credible than the bible. Why not focus on learning from as reliable a source as possible. Or as far as you can tell

Also, if it has nothing to say about the nature of reality then it is not a religion

God of the gaps.

I'm not saying you should dismiss everything in the bible based on some of it not being true. I'm saying that taking the majority of your beliefs from a single, exceptionally unreliable source is not a smart move. There are lots of really good books out there that are far more credible than the bible. Why not focus on learning from as reliable a source as possible. Or as far as you can tell

Also, if it has nothing to say about the nature of reality then it is not a religion

Thank you for your opinion.

Correct, it is not about the nature of our physical reality. It is a spiritual book about our spiritual reality that has only been interpreted as literal recently by people that don't understand allegory, or myth.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I hate to say it, but the people in the Bible aren't really good role models. Xenophobia, murder, rape, God himself acts like a shitty, all-powerful girlfriend most of the time, imho.

So maybe it is "spiritual", but I don't think it's a very positive kind of "spiritual".

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I hate to say it, but the people in the Bible aren't really good role models. Xenophobia, murder, rape, God himself acts like a shitty, all-powerful girlfriend most of the time, imho.

So maybe it is "spiritual", but I don't think it's a very positive kind of "spiritual".

you're fine. :) I agree with most of your post, actually. Appreciate your opinion too. :)

This thread just seems like a way of putting down people of faith to feel better about not having faith. Have fun, I'm out :)

This thread just seems like a way of putting down people of faith to feel better about not having faith. Have fun, I'm out :)

Yawn

If you don't like people saying why they don't believe in god on a thread about why people don't believe in god then me thinks you have some issues my friend

I have no need to feel any different about not having faith. As I said earlier, faith is simply self imposed ignorance. I feel great about not having that

Yawn

If you don't like people saying why they don't believe in god on a thread about why people don't believe in god then me thinks you have some issues my friend

Read what I wrote - I said that asking questions is healthy. You need to ask questions to learn, and you need to want to start a dialogue. You clearly aren't asking questions, nor attempting to start a dialogue. You have a point that you want to get across, and that point is that people who believe in something are wrong. You're completely able and free to not believe in anything, or everything you want - just like I have the freedom to choose to not be a part of this thread any more. We all have choices that we have to make in our lives, and this thread just really isn't worth my time.

Ok, so I looked around. I don't see any evidence for the abrahamic god

Please tell me you have a better argument than this
You saw the same thing abraham did, why did he find evidence for God and you didnt? Different semantic map maybe, but observing how life doles out either punishment or reward and how to manifest the good is useful as a reminder. If you dont need it, increase! If you do, increase! The faith is merely endurance in trials, nothing blind about it in healthy individuals.
"God created the earth in six days"

No he didn't. Gravity created the earth and it took millions of years
When something is said its be good to see a spectrum of literal and figurative and if something does not make sense on one end, look at it at the other end.

Read what I wrote - I said that asking questions is healthy. You need to ask questions to learn, and you need to want to start a dialogue. You clearly aren't asking questions, nor attempting to start a dialogue. You have a point that you want to get across, and that point is that people who believe in something are wrong. You're completely able and free to not believe in anything, or everything you want - just like I have the freedom to choose to not be a part of this thread any more. We all have choices that we have to make in our lives, and this thread just really isn't worth my time.

Perhaps you should try reading more than one of my posts. I ask plenty of questions. I started a dialogue with kmal and gave him every opportunity to explain his point of view. Read more. Judge less

I also have never once said believing in something is wrong

Yawn again

You saw the same thing abraham did, why did he find evidence for God and you didnt? Different semantic map maybe, but observing how life doles out either punishment or reward and how to manifest the good is useful as a reminder. If you dont need it, increase! If you do, increase! The faith is merely endurance in trials, nothing blind about it in healthy individuals.

When something is said its be good to see a spectrum of literal and figurative and if something does not make sense on one end, look at it at the other end.

So you're saying you don't have a better argument after all?

Ok, moving on :)