Why DON'T you believe in other gods? | Page 6 | INFJ Forum

Why DON'T you believe in other gods?

Can you explain please? I don't know what the abrahamic god is and haven't read the whole thread

It is the God of the jews christians and muslims. Like the all powerful thing that causes things to happen, sort of like life and pantheism, almost interchangable. I saw it as an observation, that if you pay attention to life itself, you can manipulate it into giving you and your intimates good things.

It is the God of the jews christians and muslims. Like the all powerful thing that causes things to happen, sort of like life and pantheism, almost interchangable. I saw it as an observation, that if you pay attention to life itself, you can manipulate it into giving you and your intimates good things.

Oh, you mean the stories in the bible etc.

But wait.... didn't man write the bible?

Christianity is the poster child for man made religions. It says you should simply believe all the opinions of the writer or writers and leave it at that

I am currently reading a book about quantum mechanics. I don't have faith that everything in that book is true. What I do have though, is respect for the processes involved in gaining the information needed to write a book like that and the knowledge that not even the writer believes everything in his book is literally true.

This is the difference that gives science significally more credibility than religion

Last edited:
As much as 'na na na I'm right you're wrong' can be pure.

There is a flaw in my reasoning. Broad strokes. Not all atheists come from a place of superiority; hell, not all atheists 'break free' from religions.
That same flaw can be applied in the other direction as well. >_>;

As for the OP:

Not particularly saying I don't. :)
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]To a point, stories and works does give more...attention to other gods; not that other mainstream Gods don't receive them, but at least they have it easier (if worse) than older gods. :|

In that particular sense, Islam is quite smart about it.[/FONT]

Well true. That may be. I could have been wrong. I guess we'll see. I just see anger and hurt from seeing fraud. A little rebellion. I guess it does feel a bit like "negging" (the pick up artist). I guess I see the superiority as false, fake. There is no one that can place themselves above me just by saying they are. Lol. Its actually a good indicator that they're probably not superior to me, in any way, whatsoever.

That being said, what do hurt people do? Hurt others. Its human nature. Aaaaand it will ALWAYS be like this. It will never change.

You can almost see the rebellion ... "YOU DON'T CONTROL ME MOM!!!"

But we all know Mom still runs the show, just steering him/her in the opposite direction. Religion still has a firm grip on most people. No matter what god you pick -- or don't.

but meh, we're all human. They don't all do that. I know from experience. Lotta great atheists out there. There are a lot of good religious ones out there too.

Well true. That may be. I could have been wrong. I guess we'll see. I just see anger and hurt from seeing fraud. A little rebellion. I guess it does feel a bit like "negging" (the pick up artist). I guess I see the superiority as false, fake. There is no one that can place themselves above me just by saying they are. Lol. Its actually a good indicator that they're probably not superior to me, in any way, whatsoever.

That being said, what do hurt people do? Hurt others. Its human nature. Aaaaand it will ALWAYS be like this. It will never change.

You can almost see the rebellion ... "YOU DON'T CONTROL ME MOM!!!"

But we all know Mom still runs the show, just steering him/her in the opposite direction. Religion still has a firm grip on most people. No matter what god you pick -- or don't.

but meh, we're all human. They don't all do that. I know from experience. Lotta great atheists out there. There are a lot of good religious ones out there too.

Of course it has a grip on most people. It was brutally forced onto everyone and those who disobeyed were historically murdered. Those that survived adhered to it, it may not be like that in the 1st world anymore, but its legacy is very prevalent. Its not that we all have this need to believe in belief, we don't... but its bullshit that those who do, have an inordinate amount of ACTUAL power in society to enforce their ridiculous religious beliefs on everyone else. Did you know in my state we only recently have been able to buy alcohol on Sunday? That you cannot buy liquor after 9PM? These are religious laws passed 100s of years ago that people refuse to get rid of because of the religious tradition. Do you have any idea how hard it is to drive to another state for alcohol after 9PM when you're already buzzed?

[MENTION=472]Poetic Justice[/MENTION] then appreciate the process of suffering and pain to finding a way to rise above it and its power, then helping others do the same. It was observed first, then it was tweaked by humans, so the tweaks are suspect, but that first thing that was observed can still be observed, untainted.

@Poetic Justice then appreciate the process of suffering and pain to finding a way to rise above it and its power, then helping others do the same. It was observed first, then it was tweaked by humans, so the tweaks are suspect, but that first thing that was observed can still be observed, untainted.

Observable is a quantifiable term... can you provide evidence for this thing that can be observed?

Of course it has a grip on most people. It was brutally forced onto everyone and those who disobeyed were historically murdered. Those that survived adhered to it, it may not be like that in the 1st world anymore, but its legacy is very prevalent. Its not that we all have this need to believe in belief, we don't... but its bullshit that those who do, have an inordinate amount of ACTUAL power in society to enforce their ridiculous religious beliefs on everyone else. Did you know in my state we only recently have been able to buy alcohol on Sunday? That you cannot buy liquor after 9PM? These are religious laws passed 100s of years ago that people refuse to get rid of because of the religious tradition. Do you have any idea how hard it is to drive to another state for alcohol after 9PM when you're already buzzed?

WOW where do you live?!?!?!? That sucks.

@Poetic Justice then appreciate the process of suffering and pain to finding a way to rise above it and its power, then helping others do the same. It was observed first, then it was tweaked by humans, so the tweaks are suspect, but that first thing that was observed can still be observed, untainted.

What was the first thing that can still be observed?

Connecticut... and we're supposed to be a secular place!

Wow. I live in Missouri and and in most cities/counties bars close @ 3 am and the only time you can't buy alcohol is from 3am-5am. You can buy alcohol anywhere, pharmacies, gas stations, liquor stores, grocery stores etc. There are harsher laws on smoking than alcohol here. I can see why you're pissed. lololol

[MENTION=472]Poetic Justice[/MENTION]
Observable is a quantifiable term... can you provide evidence for this thing that can be observed?

Look around. The power of life is part of what was observed, and I say part because of limited labels. Some started tinkering with different actions and saw different results, so an idea was formed that how you act will correlate what you receive in life.

Connecticut?! :D

And I agree with the rest of your post. How many people are Christian today because their parents were? And their parents, and so on? But we are creatures of habit, so it's understandable why we follow certain laws for so long- and change isn't instant. Maybe it does take a dozen generations to get used to the idea that buying alcohol on a Sunday is okay. Even then, I never sat around thinking "man, I wish I could buy alcohol on a Sunday!"; how urgent is the need to change a law that seems kinda insignificant?

Anyways, being raised in a society that is predominantly one religion is a reason not to believe in other gods. Also not having access to "what else is out there."

@Poetic Justice

Look around. The power of life is part of what was observed, and I say part because of limited labels. Some started tinkering with different actions and saw different results, so an idea was formed that how you act will correlate what you receive in life.

Ok, so I looked around. I don't see any evidence for the abrahamic god

Please tell me you have a better argument than this

And I agree with the rest of your post. How many people are Christian today because their parents were? And their parents, and so on? But we are creatures of habit, so it's understandable why we follow certain laws for so long- and change isn't instant. Maybe it does take a dozen generations to get used to the idea that buying alcohol on a Sunday is okay. Even then, I never sat around thinking "man, I wish I could buy alcohol on a Sunday!"; how urgent is the need to change a law that seems kinda insignificant?

Anyways, being raised in a society that is predominantly one religion is a reason not to believe in other gods. Also not having access to "what else is out there."

It doesnt matter if its an urgent need at all, thats not the point. And we can buy on Sunday now, starting last year. Only took 300+ years. We however still cannot buy after 9PM, know what it was like to run out of beer at a college party before 9PM? We had to drive to Mass to get alcohol!

If you're a football fan you might think about it every Sunday in the fall.

If you're a football fan you might think about it every Sunday in the fall.

Aaaaaahhhhhh okay, yeah. I'm not a football fan so it would never cross my mind. :lol:

@Poetic Justice

Nope, not convinced. Its not the Abrahamic god at all. I know this because the abrahamic god supposedly made this world 6000 years ago, and thats been proven false.

"God created the earth in six days"

No he didn't. Gravity created the earth and it took millions of years

No one believes that! I don't know anyone that does. No one under the age of 75.

No one believes that! I don't know anyone that does. No one under the age of 75.

[h=1]In U.S., 3 in 10 Say They Take the Bible Literally[/h][h=2]Plurality view Bible as inspired word of God but say not everything in it should be taken literally[/h]by Jeffrey M. Jones

PRINCETON, NJ -- Three in 10 Americans interpret the Bible literally, saying it is the actual word of God. That is similar to what Gallup has measured over the last two decades, but down from the 1970s and 1980s. A 49% plurality of Americans say the Bible is the inspired word of God but that it should not be taken literally, consistently the most common view in Gallup's nearly 40-year history of this question. Another 17% consider the Bible an ancient book of stories recorded by man.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/148427/say-bible-literally.aspx