Why do people fake emotions? | INFJ Forum

Why do people fake emotions?

Discussion in 'Psychology and MBTI' started by enfp can be shy, Nov 4, 2009.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
More threads by enfp can be shy
  1. enfp can be shy

    enfp can be shy people vs the bad people?
    Donor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2009
    Threads:
    36
    Messages:
    2,538
    Likes Received:
    289
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    enfp
    Enneagram:
    -
    Maybe I'm just wrong, but when I was little I didn't see people faking their emotions all the time around me. And I don't even mean the type of fake that is meant to "trick" you or manipulate you; I mean the type of fake that is obvious and self-aware. "Look at me, I'm faking emotions right in your face!11one" People were not doing this before.

    I think it's hurting everyone. It's like spilling mind poison all around you. Because emotions are real, they are not fake. And everybody has them. And more importantly, brain studies show that our emotional capabilities are connected with our reasoning abilities. If we block our emotions we may not be able to make as good decisions etc.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descartes'_Error

    Numb => Dumb.

    So why should we be so numb and so dumb, goddamnit?!!

    I'll also add to my case my personal observation that most scientists I've met in person were not cold and automatic people, as they may be presented in the movies or in books. No, the best problem solvers were usually compassionate and sensitive. The other type of scientists tend to be more interested in taking higher administrative positions.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. midnightmelody

    midnightmelody nagging for truth

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2009
    Threads:
    13
    Messages:
    1,507
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    100
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    infj
    vulnerability
    fear of judgement
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    bamf likes this.
  3. Ria

    Ria Snow White over the ocean

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2009
    Threads:
    48
    Messages:
    2,879
    Likes Received:
    620
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ.
    Enneagram:
    4 x 6 (I think).
    I tend to think that people fake their emotions because like above, they fear judgment and also they want to conform.

    Sometimes I have sensed that people fake emotions because for whatever reason, they are uncomfortable with who, how and where they are in some situation or circumstance.
     
    bamf likes this.
  4. drsolace

    drsolace Community Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2009
    Threads:
    19
    Messages:
    317
    Likes Received:
    5
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    ENTP
    Defense mechanism
     
  5. sookie

    On Holiday

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2009
    Threads:
    109
    Messages:
    1,202
    Likes Received:
    71
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFX
    To be accepted and to hide their true feelings. Perhaps to be socially appropriate. Some people really struggle with social skills.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. just me

    just me GONE

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2009
    Threads:
    228
    Messages:
    12,643
    Featured Threads:
    22
    Likes Received:
    8,620
    Trophy Points:
    1,121
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    not here
    MBTI:
    infj
    Enneagram:
    6w5
    At times some of us hide our emotions so we do not destroy others. If those we try to hide our emotions from really know us well, they see through it and hide that, too. Sad thing is reality and truth are hidden yet spoken without words or reactions.....unhealthy.

    For example, some couples grow apart. Commitments are kept but living life to its fullest cannot happen. While it is commendable and possibly sometimes the right thing to do, the one knows what is going on with the other that has become unhappy. Always heard to let someone go if you love them, but that must be difficult if not impossible for some to do. The one that needs to go ends up staying so the other will not be hurt. In doing so, love is shown but the person becomes a bit broken inside. The other has to see this, yet refuses to acknowledge it. I would say, then, love and concern may possibly be at least one reason emotions are hidden.

    Where does truth enter into this picture, or is truth exemplified in it? Tough question with many possibilities. Good subject to ponder.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Blind Bandit likes this.
  7. IndigoSensor

    IndigoSensor Product Obtained
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2008
    Threads:
    762
    Messages:
    14,154
    Likes Received:
    1,298
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2 sx/so/sp
    Simple, its extremely useful, in many different ways. However there is a fine line between using it for aid of others, or for personal gain (with disregard of others).

    The grasp that one has on faking emotions though has a huge impact though on how well this comes across.

    The biggest use it has for me is social navigation. I pay very close attention to how people say things, particulary in large groups. There are often times where a specefic emotion is needed to be expressed, and if it is not it will cause disconfort for the group, or for myself (more often then not both go hand in hand). It is hard for me to force myself to feel a certain way, and I have a "set" of emotions I can easily express. When I have to deviate from that I will conjur up an emotional response that will be needed for the situation.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Tulip

    Tulip Community Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2009
    Threads:
    9
    Messages:
    272
    Likes Received:
    37
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    Exempted
    Enneagram:
    Type me
    To maintain a sense of privacy and to draw the line of personal boundary.

    For some people, expressing their real emotions may mean exposing a very private part of themselves.

    :m093:
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. surreality

    On Holiday

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2009
    Threads:
    6
    Messages:
    159
    Likes Received:
    6
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    ....
    From your wiki source:

     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. OP
    enfp can be shy

    enfp can be shy people vs the bad people?
    Donor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2009
    Threads:
    36
    Messages:
    2,538
    Likes Received:
    289
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    enfp
    Enneagram:
    -
    Would you please share your thoughts on that? It doesn't have to be related with the other direction of the thread. (;

    The examples, I mean situations when some people undermine the emotions of other people. We all do it, of course, because we can't feel the same, but it's getting out of proportion maybe, lately. And that doesn't seem to improve rationality at all.

    In general, I find it interesting that emotions and reasoning support each other physiologically. Languages and literature are full of deceit on that issue then. MBTI should redefine the exact meaning of Te,Ti,Fe,Fi. They exist, but they are not what we call them. Probably T and F should be misanthropy and altruism, with none of them being more objective than the other. (Te is misanthropic expression, while Ti is misanthropic expectation, aka skeptic.) Misanthropes seem more objective, because they more often intimidate people to agree with them, so their statements get more often largely accepted, even when they aren't objective enough. Maybe the Judging functions T/F are completely emotional (the studies reveal that the brain uses the centers of emotion to make decisions), with emotion being general sympathy or antipathy towards people; while the Perceiving functions N/S are the only truly objective ones, because they are just based on sensoring (and accumulated sensoring) instead of people (or counter-people).
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #10 enfp can be shy, Nov 8, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  11. surreality

    On Holiday

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2009
    Threads:
    6
    Messages:
    159
    Likes Received:
    6
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    ....
    hmm ok I think I misunderstood what you were saying in your OP. In the OP you were talking about people "faking" emotions and now you're talking about "situations when some people undermine the emotions of other people." To me "faking" emotions is something different. It's like when someone exagerrates unhappiness to get a reaction, or when someone pretends to be caring when in actual fact they really don't give a shit, or ...all kinds of other things...basically it's not being genuine for either manipulative or attempted manipulative reasons, or fear of hurting someone or insecurity..whatever.

    "Undermining" someone else's emotions is different. Instead of one person's behaviour, we're now talking about interpersonal reactions. As for this type of thing, Sometimes when what your talking about happens, I would describe it as an attempt to disvalue what the other person has to say, by labeling it. It's a horribly ineffective way to engage in dialogue or debate and about one step above name-calling. There are exceptions to this however. If someone is truly being emotionally reactive, then in that case it's not devaluing, it's just pointing out behaviour that is getting in the way of some kind of resolution. And this is what we are after in a dialogue...a form of greater understanding by sharing different view points and points of knowledge and experience and ultimately come to a resolution. It's not about rationality over emotions. We're a bunch of imperfect,complicated, fallible, mixed up humans trying to figure things out.

    There are some decent examinations available to read on how the different cognitive funcions work and how we 'work' them. When you say that they exist, but they're not what we call them, I think I understand what you're getting at. Maybe this is related to your first point about emotions and reasoning supporting each other? Well, yeah of course they do! :) We may fool ourselves that we are that compartmentalized, or at least some of us do. But, obviously we are not.

    ok..ok..ok...hold on there one sec cowboy! LOL You're mixing things up a bit, but that's ok. What you're experiencing with some behaviours that you term "T misanthropy" is not anything to do with the Te or Ti functions. Misanthropy is an emotional neurotic reaction that has nothing to do with "T" functions. It may be exhibited by people who's dominant functions are thinking. It can also be exhibited by those who's dominant function is "F" or even "N" or whatever. Altruism and misanthropy are not split along these lines.

    As for objectivity and acceptance....haha don't be fooled....it's all a mere illusion.


    There are no truly objective functions. Every single thing we experience is by it's nature subjective, because we are subjects and not objects :)

    Also out of all of the MBTI funcions - I/E, N/S, T/F, and J/P - sensing and intuition are probably the most subjective/individual/divisive of all.

    The way I see it:

    Introversion vs. Extroversion defines how we relate and where/how we get our energy and information, either externally or internally.

    Thinking vs. Feeling is how we are naturally inclined or predisposed to process information.

    Judging vs. Perceiving is how we prefer or are naturally inclined to order our universe; our external reality so as to most effectively use our other functions.

    Intuition vs. Sensing is our most basic natural inclination to receive information. I believe we are born with an inherent disposition toward one or the other being dominant and I think this difference is one of the most unique.

    They all work together though and to grasp how they do that, you really have to understand the interplay of the cognitive functions.

    Lastly, this "T misanthropy", which I think is your main point of contention? It has more to do with someone's Enneagram type than their MBTI type. MBTI is like a character or team we are given at birth that we're disposed to play on...say when you're born you are basically a San Jos
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. OP
    enfp can be shy

    enfp can be shy people vs the bad people?
    Donor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2009
    Threads:
    36
    Messages:
    2,538
    Likes Received:
    289
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    enfp
    Enneagram:
    -
    Interesting counter-arguments, I can't disagree that there are major flaws in the way I presented this.

    Would you share your further thoughts along the way you initially understood the OP?
    That's very important, are there studies you know of? By the way, I didn't find much work done on MBTI and there are so many things to test. Why aren't they researching it seriously, or maybe I haven't found those who do. There should be more information about MBTI and demographics, for the world, for the different countries; MBTI and DNA haplogroups; MBTI and physical features of the body; MBTI and family conditions (birth order, divorce rate of parents, age at death of parents, income of the family at birth etc); lots of data to be studied.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Loading...

Share This Page