Why America can't have nice things... | Page 11 | INFJ Forum

Why America can't have nice things...

I believe America is the closest any country will ever be to a Utopia!

You have absolutely got to be kidding me.

kat13_wideweb__430x355.jpg

kkk-child-in-robe1.jpg

dick-cheney-heart-ailment.jpg

Last edited:
Katrina was a crisis -- that doesn't necessarily reflect the norm. You can't always be ready for something of that caliber.

I'd have to agree with the fact that Katrina demonstrated one facet of shittyness in the US.
However, not for the same reasons as everyone else probably thinks so.

Police and military powers forcibly "evacuated" many, many people from their private property, and confiscated many legally owned weapons at gunpoint...

The second ammendment and Posse Comitatis; R.I.P.

I'm more worried about FEMA And NORTHCOM than all the other beaurocratic acronym organizations combined.

Last edited:
For everyone who doesn't understand me, the values of this short clip is why I Love USA.
(The university is not the point although it seems to have fantastic views!)

[YOUTUBE]j5KBo2-6MCA[/YOUTUBE]

Its just so incredibly sad and despairing.
This infinite homesickness of mine that aches so in my heart and soul will be my death.

Last edited:
Katrina was a crisis -- that doesn't necessarily reflect the norm. You can't always be ready for something of that caliber.

True. How it was handled, however, in comparison to how things are handled in other states/cities in crisis are different stories. New Orleans has always been a place full of corruption and neglect. Katrina didn't have to be as bad as it was.

In fact, New Orleans didn't even sustain a direct hit. The storm didn't destroy the city; the levees failed. And that's why America isn't a Utopia - if you have the money, you'll always have the best of everything. If you don't have the money, you're really on your own.

Cynical thought is...cynical.

But the question isn't whether or not the US is a decent place to live. It can be, same as any place in the world. But Utopia? No. No way.

You should come to America Pristinegirl, only you have the right to decide what a good country looks like, we can all come here and tell you all the things we want/feel the U.S looks like but afterall, it's your point of view that counts at the end. The U.S has given me alot of opportunities that otherwise in my country I woudn't be able to get but to say that it's paradise, I'm afraid I'll be doing you more harm than good.

Come and experience the culture firsthand and then come back here and tell us your experience. I'll be waiting for your response. :)

Thank you for the kind encouraing words and for reminding me of that, Last Dawn. Its sometimes easy to forget. I have to keep my head up and my eyes set on the goal and work towards it. :)

Last edited:
For everyone who doesn't understand me, the values of this short clip is why I Love USA.

This infinite homesickness of mine that aches so in my heart and soul will be my death.

I'm actually considering attending that university :)

True. How it was handled, however, in comparison to how things are handled in other states/cities in crisis are different stories. New Orleans has always been a place full of corruption and neglect. Katrina didn't have to be as bad as it was.

In fact, New Orleans didn't even sustain a direct hit. The storm didn't destroy the city; the levees failed. And that's why America isn't a Utopia - if you have the money, you'll always have the best of everything. If you don't have the money, you're really on your own.

Cynical thought is...cynical.

But the question isn't whether or not the US is a decent place to live. It can be, same as any place in the world. But Utopia? No. No way.

That's to be expected. Money can be channeled -- if you don't have money, then often times you won't have the resources to create the best you can have.

That's kind of how it is everywhere, though -- there will always be an area that's less well off because wealth cannot be evenly distributed. People handle money in different ways; some handle it well, and some don't. Usually, these people and these levels of wealth congregate in separate areas...the American system allows those who can and want to make a lot of money able to, but it doesn't create much of a safety net for those who aren't apt in that area. In order to do that, though, you have to limit how much wealth the others can gain...so it really comes down to security vs. freedom.

Thank you for the kind encouraing words and for reminding me of that, Last Dawn. Its sometimes easy to forget. I have to keep my head up and my eyes set on the goal and work towards it. :)

It sounds to me like you are more in love with the American Dream than the American Reality.

Clich

Well yes. It's understood that hollywood...

Hm...on second thought I kinda like that the rest of the world thinks I look like Tom Cruise rather than a couch potato and that I could make it rich rather than end up several thousands in student loan debt until I'm 50.

Hm...on second thought I kinda like that the rest of the world thinks I look like Tom Cruise rather than a couch potato and that I could make it rich rather than end up several thousands in student loan debt until I'm 50.

Ah yes the American dream.

Ah yes the American Ream.

Ah yes the American cream.

Hey, I agree that America is the land of opportunities.

The only problem is that opportunity now has a price tag.

My college roommate went to the same college I am going to now 15 years ago for 1/7th the tuition that I am now paying.

The American Dream has also changed. It used to be the white, picked fence house, two kids, and a dog. Now the American Dream is to make it into the top 5% of Americans who own everything in the country so that you can "own your own time".