which function bothers you the most?

basic

Donor
Aug 3, 2010
MBTI
ROFL
Enneagram
5w6 sp/so/sx
Which one of the MBTI functions do you dislike the most, or find annoying (especially in others).

Personally I find an extreme P to be somewhat disturbing. I know a few people with very high P

Which one of the MBTI functions do you dislike the most, or find annoying (especially in others).

Personally I find an extreme P to be somewhat disturbing. I know a few people with very high P

I find that extreme S's can get on my nerves because it seems like the world is just black and white to them...And the close-mindedness ugh! My dad is such an S, it's always his way is the "best" way, and he never wants to consider the fact that my way could be more efficient.

[On the converse, I admire their concrete paths of thinking]

I don't think anything really bothers me but I have trouble understanding/relating to people with dominant Se (ESTP & ESFP).

People with high levels of Ti and Te but low levels of Fe confuse the hell out of me.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
for INFJs - Se will always be the most bothersome function, because it is the polar of Ni which is their dominant.

Here's a list of the polar relationships of functions:

Ni / Se
Ne / Si
Fi / Te
Fe / Ti

every type has a pair of polar functions at the back end of their hierarchy to help them make small checks to their dom/aux functions, but any more 'checking' than that creates a suppressive relationship. so for instance, if a Ti dominant, who's prime concern is logical accuracy/perfection, is being told to pay more attention to the human dynamics (Fe) present and forced to reduce the accuracy of hir assessments for the sake of preserving harmony in the audience, their Ti is being suppressed. The same works for Ni/Se and any other polar pairs.

Last edited:
Fi bothers me the easiest, in particular if it is unbalanced with very little Te. Ti is a close second, and it is often worse when paired with Ne.

I don't think anything really bothers me but I have trouble understanding/relating to people with dominant Se (ESTP & ESFP).
What he said.

I've known every type and I've enjoyed being around every type, but I find Sensers to be a major roadblock in my ability to relate to them. I cannot hold a romantic relationship with any S that isn't ISFP. I don't know what it is, I just adore those artist types, and they're the only Se I can understand (and, consequently, the only ones that have shown an ability to understand my Ni).

Otherwise, Se and Si will both drive me crazy, not only because I secretly envy their mastery of the physical world, but also because most of our conversations will go something like:
Me: Oh wow, look at that tree and the way the light hits it. It's almost as if it symbolizes--
Se/Si: ...It's a tree. It grows in the earth, has branches and leaves, and eats sunlight.
Me: But...
Se/Si: It's a tree, dude, just a tree.

I find it somewhat difficult to talk to Se dominant types. They tend to be too busy doing this, that or the other thing to just stop and think. While I want to develop a deeper understanding of them, they tend to be more interested in just having experiences than reflecting on them. For example; while I like to go to the beach and take in the scenery, understand the significance of the situation; maybe hoping to come to some dynamic realization about something in introspection, while taking in the vibe of the beach setting. I'll watch everyone play volleyball, the couples on the beach, the toddlers splashing happily in the water etc...
Then, an Se type comes along and tries to get me 'involved,' since I couldn't possibly be enjoying myself right where I was. I know they mean well, but I don't need to immerse myself in the moment doing a million things that don't mean much to me. I often get along well with Si's though. They tend to be very aesthetically minded, which I love. The way they appreciate the senses is lovely. It's nice to visit with an Si, because they usually have very well developed tastes.

Te types sometimes worry me, too. I sometimes feel as if they're rolling over me like a tank if I do or say something wrong, 'cause if I do, they'll probably tell me. Even if it is impartial, I don't do well with 'tough but fair.'

I think any function taken to an extreme would bother the heck out of me. (and yes, there is such a thing as too much Fe. Woah boy).

Otherwise, it's difficult to isolate just one function because we never use functions singularly. They're always modified by the others to varying degrees.

For me, it's definitely the "conjuction function"!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkO87mkgcNo"]YouTube - Conjunction Junction[/ame]

Reactions: rawr
I find it somewhat difficult to talk to Se dominant types. They tend to be too busy doing this, that or the other thing to just stop and think. While I want to develop a deeper understanding of them, they tend to be more interested in just having experiences than reflecting on them. For example; while I like to go to the beach and take in the scenery, understand the significance of the situation; maybe hoping to come to some dynamic realization about something in introspection, while taking in the vibe of the beach setting. I'll watch everyone play volleyball, the couples on the beach, the toddlers splashing happily in the water etc...
Then, an Se type comes along and tries to get me 'involved,' since I couldn't possibly be enjoying myself right where I was. I know they mean well, but I don't need to immerse myself in the moment doing a million things that don't mean much to me. I often get along well with Si's though. They tend to be very aesthetically minded, which I love. The way they appreciate the senses is lovely. It's nice to visit with an Si, because they usually have very well developed tastes.

Te types sometimes worry me, too. I sometimes feel as if they're rolling over me like a tank if I do or say something wrong, 'cause if I do, they'll probably tell me. Even if it is impartial, I don't do well with 'tough but fair.'

Yeah, I pretty much agree with all this. That was one of the things that annoyed me about my ex. If we went out anywhere and I just sat on my own and observed the happenings, then I was being a party pooper lame-o by not participating and he just assumed I wasn't even having a good time. Ugh. Really annoying.

[SouloftheLaurel wrote] I find that extreme S's can get on my nerves because it seems like the world is just black and white to them...And the close-mindedness ugh! My dad is such an S, it's always his way is the "best" way, and he never wants to consider the fact that my way could be more efficient.

I can so relate to this statement. I really don't like it when S's say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" or "Lets not reinvent the wheel." I was complaining about the fact that someone said the latter to me recently and my dad, who is INTJ, said, "You don't need to reinvent the wheel but you can use it in different ways," and starts to list all the ways. :) I wish I had thought of that, but it's probably best that I didn't. I don't think it would have gone over too well.

Last edited:
All functions have annoyed me at some point. Fe/Te dominants get a honorary mention, though.

Si and extreme Js.

Indy gets away with his J-ness, but an SJ type can drive me nuts.

I find that extreme S's can get on my nerves because it seems like the world is just black and white to them...And the close-mindedness ugh! My dad is such an S, it's always his way is the "best" way, and he never wants to consider the fact that my way could be more efficient.

[On the converse, I admire their concrete paths of thinking]

YAR.

im an extreme P. Do not hate, mates.

SJ combos bug the living crap out of me. "THIS IS HOW IT IS. AND ALWAYS WILL BE. YOU ARE STUPID FOR THINKING DIFFERENT." I even caught Kavalan doing this once... :) I still like you very much though Kavalan.

My brother and dad are both ISTJs, dear God they make me go ballistic.

Extreme Se and Si. :frusty:

Communicating with people with either extreme trait is like banging your head against a brick wall.

Si, dominant Se is a close second.

Too short sighted for my tastes. Although I wouldn't say that I dislike them, there is just a high potential that they will bother me.

Which function is in charge of influencing someone into
being a huge fucking asshole? Because that takes the
hatred-cake for me.

I don't know if 'bothers' is the right word, but I feel the biggest bridge to gap is over N/S. Everybody at my work is a sensor of varying degrees, and it is a welcome relief to spend time with my N family or friends and being able to intuit with them. The bad thing at work is no one can see my point of view which makes explaining myself near impossible.