which emotions do you find uncomfortable expressing? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

which emotions do you find uncomfortable expressing?

I like being like john casey from chuck :D
perfect example. the best quote from him *grunt*

Extreme sadness and crying....I will cry but usually alone.. And I do have a hard time telling my Dad I love him and my Mother. It makes me want to cry just saying it to them. I can feel this deep emotion welling up inside and it makes my throat hurt to the point I cant speak...

yeah that part!!!!!!!the i love you mom dad thing.....

one time... i was going to confession....... then the usual thing like the priest asks what your sins are....
and at first i'm like
:m192: then :m169: then :m142:

i couldn't speak up......my EMOTIONS ARE SOOOOO DEEP THAT I COULDN'T SPEAK ANYMORE.......

I like being like john casey from chuck :D
perfect example. the best quote from him *grunt*

LOL John Casey is awesome! I think *grunt* is his only emotion. :D

I don't express any emotions that make me feel vulnerable like grief, affection, love, sadness or anything that would make me cry. Maybe If I really trusted someone I could show that side of me to ONLY them. I just feel comfortable showing others my goofy side or anger, other than that I pretend like nothing affects me.

Hiding/displaying emotion appears to be an Introvert/Extovert thing rather than T vs F, no?

Actually, I disproved my own theory last night. I remembered that people with Ti are more likely to try and dissect their emotions. Like when I'm feeling something I start to wonder why I'm feeling it, and how I'm feeling it. However, I still express that feeling unless it's something idiotic like sadness when there is nothing sad about.

So in some ways the theory still stands. I think NFPs are more likely to express emotions then NFJs, because NFPs lack Ti to dissect and analyze why their feeling what they're feeling.

So, still, thinkers are more likely to express their emotions, but Ti thinkers are more likely to analyze and express, and hide some emotions that we deem illogical or irrational. NTPs are more likely to become irrational when stressed, too.

I like your theory. I have wondered about the difference between people with Fi/Te and Fe/Ti in their types before. I've noticed that my friends with Fe/Ti (in whatever order) seem to be better at analysing things – particularly analysing what relationships mean and perhaps emotions that go with that. I've noticed the difference between reading posts on here and on INTJ forum is that INFJs are better at that analysing thing. Te/Fi types seem more about understanding their own personal values and maybe projecting them out into the world or something. Like being humanitarian and standing up for people's rights kind of thinking. I am not sure but I'm interested in figuring out the difference.

So as a Te/Fi type I find that my emotions are very personal and I don't like expressing them. Actually not too different from what everyone else has said so far. But if I write a song I am attracted to using empathy to express emotions that hopefully are the sort of thing that are more hidden in myself and the other person listening and they will recognise something in themselves – if that makes sense. So I am sort of fascinated by using emotions in a provocative way when writing. But I also think that INFJs have an interesting way of expressing emotion in writing which is quite intense too and that fascinates me as well. And it is different from how I write creatively and I don't quite understand the difference but I would like to.

Oh, and I agree with slant about the E/I thing. All introverts seem less expressive with emotions to me regardless of T/F preference.

Last edited:
It's rare that I express my inner feelings to anyone. I don't have trouble putting it down on paper/on screen, but I'll mostly keep that private slice of my life to myself (or burn/delete it after I finish writing it, whichever applies). I'm just so accustomed to being the rock, the confidant, the advisor, that I'd feel weird turning around and telling those same friends that I'd counseled for months about my life issues. It's like the therapist saying: "hold on, I want to talk about me for a change."

Okay, I realize I'm not a therapist, and maybe that's not the only reason I don't share my feelings. I guess it's just that as soon as I put those emotions out there, they become 'live' and 'real' whereas when I keep them to myself, they're in some sort of state of limbo where I can still rationalize them, and maybe even diminish their intensity. I counsel myself. I know myself best, and frankly, as egotistical and self-absorbed as it sounds, I don't think there's anyone out there that can give better advice than me.

The only person with whom I can be nearest myself with is my mum. I'm obviously relaxed with other family members but I am more reserved and keep my actions in check more often. Friends I am laid back with but am very reluctant to discuss anything about my dealings with the opposite sex.

The biggest emotion I have problem expressing is love, mostly to the person I feel it about because I don't want to seem attached to them. This makes me think they think I am socially retarded, cold and unfriendly and it seems to shock them because in first meetings I am very very affable and forward.

The biggest emotion I have problem expressing is love, mostly to the person I feel it about because I don't want to seem attached to them. This makes me think they think I am socially retarded, cold and unfriendly and it seems to shock them because in first meetings I am very very affable and forward.

right on.

I find it difficult to say I love someone the first time. I don't like to commit to saying that. With new people I find it difficult to be enthusiastic and not a complete closed book. I tend to avoid expressing anger because it makes me uncomfortable and I don't like losing control. (again with new people, I am fine at all this with very close friends or family)

I have difficulty expressing anger. I tend to be a very charged person when angry, and I hate that side of myself. I prefer peace to conflict, but things don't always work out the way we want them.

I have been working on it though, so there is hope. We can always work to change for the better :)

None, if I have an emotion, and that's a very big if, I show it because I don't know when I'll have it again. :m100:

It's actually why I'm developing a theory that says most T's are more likely to express emotions because they're weird and they want to know why they feel it. While most F's are more likely to hide their emotions because they want to look logical and not controlled by them.

LOL that is extremely true. I say my emotions out loud often and then try to make sense of it using logic.

I think I struggle to express ANY emotions to my family. When I'm around them, I'm this cold, lifeless zombie. When I'm away from them and amongst people/comfortable surroundings, I don't struggle at all and I feel like the real me. I'd go as far to say that I'm a very emotional person.

It is very sad but that's just the way it is for me and my family at the moment. I hope that when I've spent time away from them, when I go to Uni, I can come back and be the "real me" because of the time spent apart and maturity that I'll have developed.

But when I get truly insulted or pissed off, I internalize it and just shut down. I don't talk to the person. I was never allowed to be angry with my family because if I did, suddenly, there was "something wrong with me" or I'd have "been watching too many violent films!", or some ignorant, frustrating bollocks like that.

Hiding/displaying emotion appears to be an Introvert/Extovert thing rather than T vs F, no?

yes for the most part introverts are more reserved with their emotions, but i think which emotions and how you display them involve T or F preferences quite a bit.

In spite of all the flowery words and complex sentences I use to describe my emotion, I always feel that I'm somehow coming short in allowing others to completely grok what it is that I feel inside.

Generally, this makes me keep it bottled up. A few people that are close to me seem to be able to read what I'm really feeling, even if I pass something off as nothing. These are the people I try to express my emotions to because I know that they will understand, despite the failure of language in this regard.

I find myself standing on this lonely rock near the ocean with no breeze and no surf, peering out into the emotions of one I feel I must talk seriously with,
and for some reason have a weakness moreso with their emotions than my own. For some reason I feel what I need to say will be something causical because it most likely will be misread or misunderstood because of my inability to be open enough for understanding while trying to avert any pain I feel may be the abject result of my poorly-chosen words. In other words, what I see as a pinch of salt needed ends up pouring salt on another's wounds so I concern myself moreso for their emotions than my own....if that makes any sense at all.
...and I cannot help but to share in their emotions, as they come readily to my inner self. It is when I feel I have caused emotional trauma, even in its lightest tense, that I find it most uncomfortable. I would rather stump my toe, so to speak.

In spite of all the flowery words and complex sentences I use to describe my emotion, I always feel that I'm somehow coming short in allowing others to completely grok what it is that I feel inside.

Generally, this makes me keep it bottled up. A few people that are close to me seem to be able to read what I'm really feeling, even if I pass something off as nothing. These are the people I try to express my emotions to because I know that they will understand, despite the failure of language in this regard.

100% agreed.

I can easily express any emotion to friends, but with family, I can't express anger, frustration, or anything close, with out bawling my eyes out:m040::m142::m095:
I don't know why. .....
.................It irks me severely......:m082:

I can easily express any emotion to friends, but with family, I can't express anger, frustration, or anything close, with out bawling my eyes out:m040::m142::m095:
I don't know why. .....
.................It irks me severely......:m082:

Maybe you should see about hiring those monkeys to do it for you in RL :p

hmmm.....do they take Visa???

I just have trouble expressing extreme emotions like anger, love (and straight up affection), and happiness. I just feel uncomfortable with my emotions and feel that others would feel uncomfortable with them as well.