[INFJ] - What's Your Experience of Anxiety and How do You Cope? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] What's Your Experience of Anxiety and How do You Cope?

I find that getting irritated with the things that make you anxious brings back a semblance of control. Unexpected side-effect and not recommended as a long term strategy, but when in doubt and needing to get your shit together quickly, find something that makes you angry about the situation.

Today I learned that you cannot be both anxious and angry at the same time. Both anxiety and anger from the amydgala. A classic way (- psychiatrist suggested) people cope with anxiety is to become angry instead.
Ugh.
Replacing my second least favorite feeling with my first least favorite feeling is less than ideal. Anxiety is crippling and anger is not, so in some cases this may be necessary. This concept makes me sad. :(

You beat me to it. Yes, it's definitely true.

Interesting how it was found anger can replace anxiety. Sometimes I wonder if it is subconscious, though we feel it coming.
82d386e34faf210aca36faec44fbb0df.jpg

Reactions: BritNi
There's probably a thread somewhere already on this topic, but I couldn't find one and it's poignant enough anyway to resurrect it from the grave of the forum's past. Indeed, no doubt anxiety has been a common experience throughout humanity's history, but it seems today's climate is particular conducive to exacerbating the experience of anxiety. Of course, we also have a developed understanding of anxiety and mental health in general.

What makes today's climate anxiety inducing? One might say it's because of a fast-paced consumerist lifestyle, combined with the breakdown of a social fabric of mutual support as characterised by the recent phenomena of the isolated nuclear family, smaller nuclear family's (thus people being raised with fewer or no siblings), and urban environments and a suburban sprawl that divorces the majority from nature, not to mention greater time for leisure which technological advancement has allowed, which could lead to greater peace in 'soul-searching' but often leads to reflections on life and its meaning that stoke the fire of an existential crisis. Not to mention how the average Western lifestyle does not involve physical exercise which has been shown to reduce anxiety, and so we have to 'tack it on' or go out of our way to go for a walk, or swim, or play a sport etc. Whereas in the past people, except perhaps the aristocracy, were forced to exert themselves physically, including simply walking, since their everyday life required it - they didn't have to schedule 'a stroll' 'to find 30 mins' of exercise.

Specifically targeting an INFJ response, but it'll be great to hear from anyone and everyone. Hopefully this thread can help people in this area.

What has been your experience of anxiety? How long have you experienced it and/or been aware of experiencing it?

How do you cope with anxiety?
ow, our life is so complicated and the thoughts I ponder lead me to anxious condition... Really, the fact that people become more detached, more selfish and self-circled makes me feel come of depression... Furthermore, my work, where I work among kind of wolfs not people, makes me feel anxious and depressed simultaneously. Due to these facts I even began taking pills that help me code with depression and anxiety https://worldpharm365.com/product/amitriptyline-for-anxiety/, thank heaven it doesn't cause the addiction and have no side effects. I guess, living in such world we become crazy without pills and antidepressants...

Reactions: BritNi and Infjente
Most people have abilities they know nothing about.

Reactions: BritNi
I've had anxiety and panic attacks since I was able to speak.

My coping mechanisms were to either freak out or shut down.

As an emotionally aware adult the healthiest ways for me to cope are:
  • Physical activity, including going for walks and doing yoga.
  • Eating right
  • Breathing techniques
  • Engaging in healthy/positive thoughts

My number one unhealthy coping mechanism is sleeping.

I am also on a prescribed regiment for anxiety/depression which includes a non controlled substance. Different meds work for different people. Sertraline worked amazingly for me, and still does.

The med doesn't get rid of the anxiety, however helps to lower it to the point that I can any recall the last time I had an attack.

I still get anxiety, of course, but it's functional to the extent that I can practice healthy coping skills.

I've had anxiety problems since I was 12. I'm 24 now. I know I will be able to overcome my anxiety problems soon, because I wasn't aware of what was causing it until recently.

Interesting how it was found anger can replace anxiety. Sometimes I wonder if it is subconscious, though we feel it coming.
82d386e34faf210aca36faec44fbb0df.jpg

Just so you know, there have been quite a few raging storms that have calmed me. Matthew and David come to mind.

Reactions: flower and slant
Some folk might need medication to help them cope with bad anxiety.....to help keep them on a more safe level. Blowing up, like a hurricane, can cause heart attacks and such: even to others.

Reactions: flower and slant