What vocal part are you? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

What vocal part are you?

I think my lowest note is something like a second octave e....but I can't remember. it could actually be lower, it's been a while since I've checked.

Actually, and this is my dirty little secret, but I feel happy enough to tell you all, I don't want to do it because the altos are never the stars of the show. The soloists are n ever selected from the altos, and if they are, it's because they need a real alto to sing them.

As someone who takes singing lessons twice a week, and a further musical theory lesson on top of that in order to keep on top of my skills and to hopefully pass 8th grade vocal exams at the end of this year, I really don't want to be pushed into the background just because I happen to be able to sing lower than most of the girls.

I realise it's a bit selfish, especially when the altos in the choir lack any seriously good music readers, but every time I think of it I hear their parts and I just shudder.
Also our conductor gives the altos a much harder time than the sops, so I'm really glad I'm not one of them. He has only one volume, and that's mf, and when he stands right in front of you yelling at you it's not pleasant.

His best line so far:

'if you don't like the conductor, you don't make a fuss about it, you leave the choir'.

When I move to Switzerland I'm joining a Jodlerclub, and I want to be an alto even less there, because they never get interesting parts, because they never get to yodel.

That's not always true. I saw quite a few alto soloists when I was in school. But it depends on the director. But here's a little advice from someone who was in your shoes once, don't expect to be the star. A choir is about teamwork not about each individual. that's something I had to learn as I got older and when I finally did I saw the beauty in it.

If you want to be star compete as a soloist. Take voice lessons work on art songs and arias and take to the stage by yourself. The choir room is a place to shine as a group and when you are on stage with your group you are there to blend with and support everyone else. Sure, there will be soloists, but it won't always be you.

Oh and Sopranos are a dime a dozen. If you pursue classical music you'll find that out as you get older. Auditioning for operas, oratorios, and even musical theater you'll have less competition going for the alto or mezzo roles. And let me tell you, there are some kick ass mezzo roles. Carmen and Cherubino being the two most common. In musical theater you have Mrs. Lovett from Sweeney Todd. Honestly, I'd give anything to be a mezzo. But with my range and timbre It's just not happening.

Believe me when I say every vocal part has their chance to shine. You just have to know what to do with it.

The thing is is that I'm actually really not interested in opera or musicals, especially not as a career. I'm happy sticking with choirs and small ensembles, it's just that I know where I like to be, and it's not in the alto part. It's definitely my weaker part and I just prefer having the melody line for the most part.

It's also a lot harder work, especially in this particular group. I didn't join to be yelled at and poked and prodded into getting the part correct. I joined so I could sing beautiful music.

There are usually less altos, I agree, in a choir there's usually double the amount of sopranos, but that just means that it's easier to disguise the few people who actually don't know their music well, but it's harder for the altos because there's less of them, so one person who's not quite sure of their part sticks out more.

The thing is is that I'm actually really not interested in opera or musicals, especially not as a career. I'm happy sticking with choirs and small ensembles, it's just that I know where I like to be, and it's not in the alto part. It's definitely my weaker part and I just prefer having the melody line for the most part.

It's also a lot harder work, especially in this particular group. I didn't join to be yelled at and poked and prodded into getting the part correct. I joined so I could sing beautiful music.

There are usually less altos, I agree, in a choir there's usually double the amount of sopranos, but that just means that it's easier to disguise the few people who actually don't know their music well, but it's harder for the altos because there's less of them, so one person who's not quite sure of their part sticks out more.

To each their own. Choirs are great, but you have to learn that you won't always be the star.

And yes the alto part is beautifully difficult. That's what I love about it. I like a challenge. Not saying everyone should, just that I really do but no one will let me experience this specific one. It frustrates me to no end. I also tend to be a perfectionist and an overachiever. When I was in choir I learned all of the parts, not just mine. This was less fun when I was in college, though. Our group wasn't very good and sang mostly easy three part harmony. *pouts* It was lame. I wish there was a better word for it, but lame is the best fit in my mind.

As for yelling directors, I have had my fair share. It upset me a bit a first, but I got used to it because the more to push me and the more you upset me the harder I work and the better I get. My voice would not be where it is today if it weren't for directors pushing me as hard as they could. I needed the drive. It's not for everyone, though. That was another thing I hatred about my college choir. The director didn't push. He didn't yell or nitpick. Which meant the group was lazy and I was usually the only one soprano who knew the music. It wasn't fun and it wasn't challenging. So, I quit.

I don't know why, but every school choir I've ever been in just never held my interest. I never liked singing 2-part harmony versions of pop-songs, there was no challenge in it, and i just disliked most of them because musically they had no spice.

I wanted to do renaissance madrigals and beautiful things like that, but of course you're never going to get highschool kids enthused about that sort of stuff.

Actually, I think madrigals are why I like high parts so much. dreamy

I don't know why, but every school choir I've ever been in just never held my interest. I never liked singing 2-part harmony versions of pop-songs, there was no challenge in it, and i just disliked most of them because musically they had no spice.

I wanted to do renaissance madrigals and beautiful things like that, but of course you're never going to get highschool kids enthused about that sort of stuff.

Actually, I think madrigals are why I like high parts so much. dreamy

That's all my high school choir did. 6 part harmony minimum and mostly a capella madrigals. It was amazing! I was very lucky.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPTXwIv29cw"]YouTube - Bartlett High School Chorale 2005 - Fire, Fire, My Heart[/ame]

My college choir was more along the lines of accompanied pop music with two part harmony. It was dull.

that school is my idea of heaven...

That said, I did do a 5 part madrigal for my final examination, but only because I insisted on it, I had to hire the other parts myself and so on though...

that school is my idea of heaven...

That said, I did do a 5 part madrigal for my final examination, but only because I insisted on it, I had to hire the other parts myself and so on though...

It was heaven. Our director was tough and we were great.

Wow... I can't imagine having to hire the other parts. That doesn't sound like a stimulating environment at all.

Our school didn't have a huge supply of male vocalists, especially ones who could cope with something as tough as this. The boys we did have all wanted to sing hard rock and play electric guitars really really loudly with lots of effects...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDjE95b0Uao"]YouTube - Si ch'io vorrei morire[/ame]
this isn't me btw.

I think my lowest note is something like a second octave e....but I can't remember. it could actually be lower, it's been a while since I've checked.

Actually, and this is my dirty little secret, but I feel happy enough to tell you all, I don't want to do it because the altos are never the stars of the show. The soloists are n ever selected from the altos, and if they are, it's because they need a real alto to sing them.

As someone who takes singing lessons twice a week, and a further musical theory lesson on top of that in order to keep on top of my skills and to hopefully pass 8th grade vocal exams at the end of this year, I really don't want to be pushed into the background just because I happen to be able to sing lower than most of the girls.

I realise it's a bit selfish, especially when the altos in the choir lack any seriously good music readers, but every time I think of it I hear their parts and I just shudder.
Also our conductor gives the altos a much harder time than the sops, so I'm really glad I'm not one of them. He has only one volume, and that's mf, and when he stands right in front of you yelling at you it's not pleasant.

His best line so far:

'if you don't like the conductor, you don't make a fuss about it, you leave the choir'.

When I move to Switzerland I'm joining a Jodlerclub, and I want to be an alto even less there, because they never get interesting parts, because they never get to yodel.
I am one of those altos that have an extended range as well.

But to the contrary, in all the choirs I've been in, the altos have been the best readers and better-rounded in their vocal technique, so they usually got most of the solos, unless a true soprano was needed. Not that the sopranos are less than fantastic :). The second sopranos, are the ones that are always messing up when we rehearse, but I cut them a tad bit of slack, given that their part is usually the most difficult (but fun to sing)

Also, In the advanced Women's choirs in high school (unless you were in madrigals), you switched your voice part on every piece. Doing so, helped me grow a lot as a singer, and greatly enhanced my sight-reading ability and range. It also helped me gain appreciation for the benefits and challenges of each voice part.

But to each school, their own :)

Contralto. Would you believe a Tenor's range is actually too high for me, although I regularly sing with men in duos or trios? I credit taking piano lessons from age 8 to about 13 in giving me my remembrance of pure tone. My voice has broadened after the birth of each of my 2 children, but I have never taken voice lessons yet to imrove the weaknesses I know I have when I'm going up or down a scale.

To those who have experience and knowledge of the voice, and have shared of themselves in this thread, I want to say thank you. Your posts have led to questions on my part (because there

I'd say you were a tennor who can sing into the baritone range.

Baritones, while not true bass, usually feel happy singing loer down that octave.

Really if you prefer to sing tennor you should be, because it's not good for the voice to sing a part that's not comfortable for you. If it becomes harder to control your voice while singing certain notes, then you know that's not truely within your range, for example, if you can only hold the note if you sing it loudly, or can't project it properly.

One year I was an alto 2, the next I was a soprano 1.

I can do both, but I'm losing my low notes very quickly as I don't use them.

I'd say you were a tennor who can sing into the baritone range.

Baritones, while not true bass, usually feel happy singing loer down that octave.

Really if you prefer to sing tennor you should be, because it's not good for the voice to sing a part that's not comfortable for you. If it becomes harder to control your voice while singing certain notes, then you know that's not truely within your range, for example, if you can only hold the note if you sing it loudly, or can't project it properly.

Thanks.

Yeah, I can sing a note lower than G2, but it will not be stable in pitch, have little sustain, and cause me some degree of discomfort.

I cannot sing a note higher than C5, period. I can do C5 no problem, but I can

Reactions: jyrffw54
ah, but counter-tennors are truely amazing! [though I will admit I'm the only one in my circle of friends who thinks so].

You can actually train yourself to have a lower range, or get lessons to extend it, that's really the only way I know of to keep your vocal range large.