What struggles do you face when trying to get to know someone? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

What struggles do you face when trying to get to know someone?

I usually dont have trouble trying to get to know people. The only thing that can be a difficulty is that I come across as a deep thinker and that can be a bit intense for some people. I try to keep it balanced by going silent for a moment and then I wait for the other person to give me a que to either continue with that topic or allow them to switch to a lighter topic.

Reactions: OliOliOxenFree
My biggest obstacle is similar to that. I wanna connect with people sooooo bad. In addition though, the first impression I make, is pretty extroverted, but upon a second encounter , I'm pretty introverted. I tend to jump back and forth between the two. I wanna hang out with them again. But words don't come easy, and I hate small talk as well. I've come to really love teasing, because it's a way for me to break the ice, and gives me a little leeway when it comes to having to conversation. instead, the goal is to get them to laugh. I'm excellent at not verbal communication, so if a friend txts, we usually have a waaayyy easier time "talking" than if I had to do it face to face.
I wish I could like that a thousand times. I FEEL YOU. <3

I usually dont have trouble trying to get to know people. The only thing that can be a difficulty is that I come across as a deep thinker and that can be a bit intense for some people. I try to keep it balanced by going silent for a moment and then I wait for the other person to give me a que to either continue with that topic or allow them to switch to a lighter topic.
I understand what you're saying. I like forming out my thought as sentences in my head first so that I can phrase it in the best possible way when I say it. I feel I contribute more when I talk less...in a weird sort of way. Gosh, I just realized how strange that actually sounds ahahah

Reactions: INFJ16
10/10 I will not start a conversation, and usually someone will initiate by asking where I get my hair done or about my purse and I immediately tense up trying to figure out where I got something and say it was a gift and run away. unless I am having a craving for people I stay home. But on those days I enjoy family conversations.

As an INFJ, I am very quiet and am more of an observer/listener. This comes off way wrong, and people mistake me for being a snob who is too good for others. It's very far from the truth. It actually takes time to get to know me, and there must be a certain amount of trust before I start opening up. Some make it through, some don't. That barrier definitely holds me back and limits the friends I really could make.
The other problem is, when I'm around very outgoing Extrovert types who are the life of the party, it keeps me in that quiet reserved space. Even though I have done so many interesting things in life that many others might enjoy knowing about, sometimes I feel that if I am not on the same level as some of the Extroverts what I have to say isn't interesting enough for them to hear. I know I'm wrong... but I become more reserved when there is a dominating personality in a group of people. I guess that's why I like one-on-one better than groups any way.

Not really sure I am explaining this well enough. I just feel like if I don't have anything interesting to say, I won't really say much at all.

People think I'm a very serious snob at first. But I'm more intent on observing and listening. So I unintentionally don't set a warm first impression.

The exception is if I'm with a new person who I can tell is shy or socially unsure. Then I can be very friendly and talkative. I guess maybe because I'm trying to put them at ease or make them feel comfortable.

I also rely a lot on when I feel an instant click with someone.

Last edited:
When trying to get to know someone for romantic purposes:

I value my ability to connect in a one-on-one setting. And my idealistic nature often prompts me to try and make sure that things are equal, even and fair within the shares. The problem is...that sometimes the other person needs more time than I do and isn't trusting enough to share (regardless of whatever I may bring to the table). So when a person has prior baggage that they can't seem to let go of and yet still effects their sharing and connectivity (with me)...that is a most difficult thing for me. Why? Because I'm a big optimist and I don't really have scars like that.

Because armor and MR.

Please note that I don't think it's my place to tell anyone else how to manage their scars and baggage. But in my opinion, a wise individual will deal with such things long before they pursue a permanent partner.

*nods*

I value my ability to connect in a one-on-one setting. And my idealistic nature often prompts me to try and make sure that things are equal, even and fair within the shares. The problem is...that sometimes the other person needs more time than I do and isn't trusting enough to share (regardless of whatever I may bring to the table). So when a person has prior baggage that they can't seem to let go of and yet still effects their sharing and connectivity (with me)...that is a most difficult thing for me. Why? Because I'm a big optimist and I don't really have scars like that.

Because armor and MR.

Please note that I don't think it's my place to tell anyone else how to manage their scars and baggage. But in my opinion, a wise individual will deal with such things long before they pursue a permanent partner.

*nods*

Excellent post.

Reactions: MrSquared
I was reading today an article on 5 things to know about being friends with an INFJ. This hit the nail on the head, and really liked it. Want to get to know an INFJ? Spend time one-on-one. I'll let this fifth point make the case I'm trying to say. A lot of non-INFJs do not realize this, though it's hard to know this when they don't know much about MBTI types. ;) For me, a friendship does not always become solid until this happens...

5. If you want to get to know us, hang out with us one-on-one.
It’s only in private that we show our true colors. Think of us as roly poly bugs. If we are overwhelmed or startled, we curl into a protective, hard ball. We’ll sit and watch conversations but rarely contribute with personal substance. But if we are comfortable, we will be more open. Some of the best conversations I’ve had occur when I’m spending one-on-one time with someone. For example, one of my best guy friends and I had a very personal, hour-long conversation about snow and what it symbolized to each of us. It reminded him of his travels and the friends he met in places that snowed. For me, snow is the promise of Christmas and sweaters and all things comfortable. So, if you truly want to get to know us, get us alone. We might talk your ear off.

10/10 I will not start a conversation, and usually someone will initiate by asking where I get my hair done or about my purse and I immediately tense up trying to figure out where I got something and say it was a gift and run away. unless I am having a craving for people I stay home. But on those days I enjoy family conversations.
I feel you completely. I usually am really nervous starting conversations, especially in groups cause I'm afraid I'll say the wrong thing. But I've found that the second someone gets me one on one and says ANYTHING, BAM, I don't shut up. I'm like a bee guarding my nest. Except the nest is my personality. Provoke me, I won't leave you alone, and my nest will be wide open for you. Don't steal my honey though. That's mine. :rage:

Reactions: Vigilance
As an INFJ, I am very quiet and am more of an observer/listener. This comes off way wrong, and people mistake me for being a snob who is too good for others. It's very far from the truth. It actually takes time to get to know me, and there must be a certain amount of trust before I start opening up. Some make it through, some don't. That barrier definitely holds me back and limits the friends I really could make.
The other problem is, when I'm around very outgoing Extrovert types who are the life of the party, it keeps me in that quiet reserved space. Even though I have done so many interesting things in life that many others might enjoy knowing about, sometimes I feel that if I am not on the same level as some of the Extroverts what I have to say isn't interesting enough for them to hear. I know I'm wrong... but I become more reserved when there is a dominating personality in a group of people. I guess that's why I like one-on-one better than groups any way.

Not really sure I am explaining this well enough. I just feel like if I don't have anything interesting to say, I won't really say much at all.
Yeah this is a bit of a problem for me too. One of the biggest assumptions people have with me is that I can seem snobbish, unapproachable, and extremely reserved/shy. When it comes to the dominating extrovert types in a group, I honestly don't mind if they're the "life of the party". People give them energy just like how our solitude gives us energy. I don't want to take anything away from them, because that's what makes them happy. Not only that, I am (usually) genuinely interested in what they have to say. Good listeners are just as important as good speakers in the world and being interested in what people say is big for me.

Reactions: rmoat

Because armor and MR.

*nods*
I'm alllllll about that sweet and juicy one on one. Every time I have the opportunity to speak to someone I'm interested romantically I just start peppering them with questions. Some which can be extremely personal and they'll be taken aback by how forward and upfront I'm being. I think very few people in the world are willing to do this as their levels of cautiousness to exposing their own vulnerability can differ greatly. For me, sometimes, I can't handle the long pain of "taking things slowly". I want to know about their life now. I usually tell people (in a one on one setting of course) that while small talk is nice, I want to get to know the real them. I'm a huge optimist myself, which is why I'm not too bothered if people aren't willing to share their whole lives with me. I have hope that through a bit gentle coaxing, establishments of trust, and genuineness, I can open up even the most reserved of people.

Reactions: MrSquared
I was reading today an article on 5 things to know about being friends with an INFJ. This hit the nail on the head, and really liked it. Want to get to know an INFJ? Spend time one-on-one. I'll let this fifth point make the case I'm trying to say. A lot of non-INFJs do not realize this, though it's hard to know this when they don't know much about MBTI types. ;) For me, a friendship does not always become solid until this happens...

5. If you want to get to know us, hang out with us one-on-one.
It’s only in private that we show our true colors. Think of us as roly poly bugs. If we are overwhelmed or startled, we curl into a protective, hard ball. We’ll sit and watch conversations but rarely contribute with personal substance. But if we are comfortable, we will be more open. Some of the best conversations I’ve had occur when I’m spending one-on-one time with someone. For example, one of my best guy friends and I had a very personal, hour-long conversation about snow and what it symbolized to each of us. It reminded him of his travels and the friends he met in places that snowed. For me, snow is the promise of Christmas and sweaters and all things comfortable. So, if you truly want to get to know us, get us alone. We might talk your ear off.
This this this and fuckingggg this. We honestly don't really care about what the conversation is as long as it isn't something you've told everyone else. It's not that we don't care about that stuff, but it's the fact that our connection with you feels so much more meaningful when you do share something on a deep and personal level. Thank you so much for sharing <3

Reactions: rmoat
I meant "cue" not "que" with a "q". when spelling is not your greatest strength then your c's, k's, and q's get all mixed up.

Oh... Where should I begin?

I suck at small talk, as do many of the previous posters apparently. If I think that the conversation is being dull, I don't feel like participating.

Anyhow, the biggest issue is probably the emotional bonding. I feel like I'm very empathetic and sensitive, but don't know how to express it verbally in social settings. I'll probably ask about it later when the timing feels right.

I also forget everyone's birthdays and don't realize that people think that it's polite to ask how was their holiday and is your aunt doing better now.

And if I get the impression that someone is just seeking attention by whining over nothing, I get more or less irritated and it might show.