What needs to be changed on/with this Planet? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

What needs to be changed on/with this Planet?

This came to me from a professor I had a couple of years ago.
Has anyone seen this documentary?

I think it would be very inspirational to see.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzah_5y65AU"]YouTube - The Man Who Stopped the Desert - trailer 1 Narrated by Hugh Quarshie[/ame]

This came to me from a professor I had a couple of years ago.
Has anyone seen this documentary?

I think it would be very inspirational to see.

I will try to find this tonight and watch it. Thanks. :)

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth -- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up -- that we SHOULD live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had."

So why doesn't this happen? People need more drive to have something to achieve. I live every day as if I had a billion more to live. o_O Procrastination extraordinaire right here.

[MENTION=884]solongotgon[/MENTION] well said
people on auto pilot... i call them zombies

[MENTION=3379]Free Mind[/MENTION] ... how does one awaken the masses?
when disaster strikes... people are forced to confront reality

if many people know to do the right things... but fail to follow through
why is that?
peer pressure? conditioning? weakness?

i think if we felt we were not alone, we would be stronger in our resolve

the people that would like to make a real change need to meet up
live together, work together, make babies,

and maybe those children will put the rest of the puzzle together

People need to quit meddling and trying to fix things.

There's a world to save and you aren't helping!! We need SUPA MARN!

I was in serious mode, so I may have judged wrong. :)

Free Mind.

Abcsh was talking about Hitler!

When people start asking for solutions to their world's problems - they often are so desparate they end up accepting someone like Hitler (or George Bush "The Shrub" Jr.)

And then BIG mistakes are made.

Ultimately - I think people need to accept responsibility for the world being in the shape it's in. And here in the states (and probably the Western world) we don't do that very well.

I suppose I could blame it on the media and big business not wanting the people (sheeple) to wake up and see what the consequences of their actions are doing to all of us.

I suppose I could blame it on religious dogma that promotes the idea of armageddon. You know the story where all the disasters happening around us (drought, famine, big storms, earthquakes, the poles melting, as so on) is all part of God's plan. The people who believe this are quite content to sit back on their heels and wait for the final ascension to heaven - and to Hell with the Earth and the rest of us.

So - responsibility for one's actions would be a great place to start.

I feel like I'm swimming upstream to accomplish that goal. But - I'm trying...I'm sinking a lot - but trying...

@Free Mind ... how does one awaken the masses?

why is that?

Cold hard evidence may indeed wake up the masses, but never enough to make them take action, (By saying that I'm not even helping myself...) theres plenty of videos showing 'truth' and all I see in the comments is, WAKE UP! and then they will continue watching the next Call Of Duty video in their sub box. People know what's going wrong, but their not doing anything about it. I see most of humanity as back seat takers performing the same tasks day in day out, they know how to initiate a change, but never set out to achieve it.

Now i'm trying to think myself what realistic changes could take place in the future. Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.

I am told almost daily by my dad, "I'm glad I'm not your age." I always have rants about this stuff to him. I would be glad to help change something, but to be honest, I don't know where to start. o_O Again, any thoughts and ideas would help.

I am all mouth at the moment. And could potentially be a bit ignorant myself, which is why I made this thread. ^_^

Depends what they are going to try and achieve on this one. It happens already in amongst little communities. All I can do is contribute to signing petitions and what not until a further date.

I guess that's all I will speak of for now. Comment on what I said if you feel I'm wrong or if you agree with something I said. ^_^

Last edited:
[MENTION=2578]K-gal[/MENTION] I agree, well said. what are you contributing towards for helping humanity then? Or anything you do to help. :)

@solongotgon well said
people on auto pilot... i call them zombies

@Free Mind ... how does one awaken the masses?

why is that?

yes and i think people don't follow through what they know and what they can do because subconsciously we are "comfortable" in the despair or unhappy state we created. Getting out of the comfort zone in itself is a major fear; the unknown and not knowing what lies ahead if one takes a leap of faith. The conscious mind just does not allow for such ambiguity; its job is to "protect" us from the unknown and not to mention we as a western society is very uncomfortable with living via intuition.

And yes, the group support of families and friends and even strangers on the same self development can help a ton. This forum is a great example of such a support system; when people cannot meet half way from their locations. But sad to say many INFJs or other introverted MBTI personalities cannot boast a happy and supportive childhood support; which makes this whole endevour even daunting.

@K-gal I agree, well said. what are you contributing towards for helping humanity then? Or anything you do to help. :)

Jeeze - it's complicated.

35 years ago I made the decision to not have children so as to not burden the world with extra people. You see - because we have so many people on this planet - it's as if there is so much of a surplus - the value of human life has degraded so far down - we might as well be slaves. Actually I think the value of human life is so low as to be less vaulable than a slave....Supply vs demand describes what is happening to us.

I'm doing what Solongotgon suggested in that I'm looking within myself to see what I'm doing that causes harm - to myself - and others - and the planet.

I am fortunate to live on several acres of land. I learned about my land, took care of it in a way that maintains the integrity of it with regard to the other wildlife that inhabit it with me. I've planted over a hundred trees/shrubs that not only benefit myself and family - but also the indigenous species here.

This is the touchy part...

I have and will engage 1,000's of people here in the rural area I live in due to my profession. 99% of them are some version of Christian. I am not. Because of my dedication to "Do no Harm" I am recieved and welcomed in a loving and trustful way by most of these people. They think I'm a "Good" person. I almost never tell them I am not Christian - but - when occasionally they do find out - it gives them a different perspective on religion for the first time in their lives. They come to accept that their religion does not corner the market on "goodness". I am always very grateful when that happens. I do believe that promotes the idea that we are all connected in a fundamental and profound way. Maybe that will permeate the way they think about their actions in the future.

I promote cooperation and not division whenever I can by not sending on flaming emails that tear down others just because they are different. I investigate all rumours (in emails) as much as I can to make sure it's the truth before passing it on to others. And I recieve hundreds of them on a regular basis.
I do not engage in gossip.

IMO we are divided and conquered. We do not need more actions that increase the divide.

I know these are small actions. All I can hope is that my actions ripple outward.

I strive to be the change I wish to see in the world.

Reactions: myself
[MENTION=2578]K-gal[/MENTION] Wow...that was really nice to read, thank you for explaining. What you just said is something like what I hope to grow towards in the future. Atleast I now know it's possible to some extent. Thanks for that. :)

I have also made a decision not to have a child, I made the decision when I was about 14, but I thought my mind might have changed, it never did, there is just so many more reasons not to have a child then to have 1. The time to myself and to be with my partner, whilst having less stress seems to be the biggest bonus. And contributing to having less 'slaves' on the planet.

Thanks yet again. =)

Reactions: Kgal
Man-kind needs to become extinct.

While would help matters somewhat, it is not necessary. We DO need to burn several candles at once:

1. Prioritize technologies that maximize the efficiency of human consumption that we get the most quality-of-life and evolution as possible out of the fewest resources and energy consumption possible
  2. Continue to evolve away from our basic animal tendances (paranoia, competition, consumption, etc) and evolve toward civilized tendancies (inter-reassurance, cooperation, logical long-term decision making, etc)
  3. Reduce our population to the point where our consumption of resources is matched or outpaced by the environment's ability to recycle/restore the damage or difference (i.e., permanently sustainable)
  4. Get over seeing everything and everyone else as an enemy and instead see them as an opportunity for mutual betterment.

I'm sure I could go on, but there are two major truths we need to be aware of:

• If we do not mantain/persue technology and eventually get off this rock, we have no alternative but to go extinct, because conditions DO change and the Earth's biological clock is nearing its end (relative to how long it is been around, that is... another billion years or so, max.)
  • If we don't mature as a specie, we'll destroy the things we need to survive.

This isn't new-age crap; this is survival... and if we can figure this out, we can outlive the universe itself, quite frankly.

Humanity doesn't need to become extinct.
We exist for a reason, we're important to our ecosystems in some form..
we've deviated from that.. and these are the repurcussions.. destruction of the biosphere and ourselves.

I think that the way we treat our environment reflects the way we treat each other and visa versa.. the two are not mutually exclusive.

I prefer to be optimistic, so rather than die.. humanity needs to reevaluate and reorganize itself...

There's something very strange about the human psyche that it wants to be liberated from the natural order of life.. to reign over existence and pillage the natural world.

But I speculate there is a slow change in consciousness occurring and that people will eventually strive to coexist with the natural world. If not, we may nearly run ourselves into extinction. Either way, there is going to be change and we are going to have to adapt.

You might like this book, @Free Mind

Last edited:
Reactions: Free Mind
If big companies just stopped destroying everything to make money it would already be much much better

If big companies just stopped destroying everything to make money it would already be much much better

Agreed. Give your money to the smaller more deserving companies that actually care.

If we all stopped buying their shit they'd have to stop.

true, but the market is rigged

gotta have money to make money

those with the most money buy out the little guys
or lobby for legislation that works in their interest

so, if we are big enough to admit that we are the problem, we can fix it
how do we convince the people that over consumption is the problem?

the people are just completely unaware, or are unwilling to admit the truth
it's failure on a massive scale

why do they fail to see?

what alternatives can we offer?

so far, all we can do is predict doom and gloom if things dont change
people dont like bad news, and they will deny the truth as long as they can afford to

it's a frustrating situation

many little changes may result in big change
so keep in mind the ripple effect, like k-gal said

More generation and appreciation of music, literature & art.

Humanity doesn't need to become extinct.
We exist for a reason, we're important to our ecosystems in some form..
we've deviated from that.. and these are the repurcussions.. destruction of the biosphere and ourselves.

I think that the way we treat our environment reflects the way we treat each other and visa versa.. the two are not mutually exclusive.

I prefer to be optimistic, so rather than die.. humanity needs to reevaluate and reorganize itself...

There's something very strange about the human psyche that it wants to be liberated from the natural order of life.. to reign over existence and pillage the natural world.

But I speculate there is a slow change in consciousness occurring and that people will eventually strive to coexist with the natural world. If not, we may nearly run ourselves into extinction. Either way, there is going to be change and we are going to have to adapt.

You might like this book, @Free Mind
I agree (and everyone should read that book)

We are a part of our world, but treat it as if it's the enemy. Somewhere along the lines of human history our instinct for survival switched from coexistence with our world to dominance over it. The thing is...there's a very real chance we'll destroy ourselves in the process of trying to create complete dominance in the world. We want to know, understand, and control everything, and often times forget about the beauty and relaxation in spontaneous existence that co-resides with all other life on the planet.

The earth doesn't need people to exist, but at this point in time and much of the foreseeable future, we sure as hell need the world to exist for our own well-being.