What makes you green with envy? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What makes you green with envy?

drummers that started in their younger years, anywhere from 3-10 years old, these guys got through all the technical stuff early, i alas didn't start until i was 16 and am a bit behind in terms of progress. i've since told myself in the long run this doesnt matter, its not a sprint but marathon, its just hard to watch them sometimes though i've found its a great practice motivator.

People who live on their own terms.

I considered the question and thought "I'm not envious of anyone."

Don't think that's because I think I am better than others or because I am without sin.

It's just the simple fact that in order to be envious, you have to actually give a shit.

But then I considered that and thought "Ian, who are you kidding? You're envious of everyone in some way."

Yeah, OK. I admit it.

But then I looked up what envy actually means so I could be somewhat sure that I really understood the question.

And when I read that part of it is the desire for others to feel as unhappy as oneself, I realized that no, I don't experience envy at all.

Why?

Because I don't wish for others to be unhappy or to hurt in any way. I turn that desire inward so I can hurt myself.

It's known. It's safe. It means I am not bad because I don't intend to hurt others. I own my own pain and keep it inside.

It is my long-term companion, my friend, my lover who inevitably tricks me, shames me, hurts me - but even with that, I am loyal and stay.

We're wed for ever and ever.

Well, not really. One day I will die and this will all be over.

whatever,
Ian

Reactions: muir
I envy people who don't care. I really wish sometimes that I could just really not care and put all the responsibility in my life down. Oh well, never was good at giving up on anything.

Reactions: Gaze
drummers that started in their younger years, anywhere from 3-10 years old, these guys got through all the technical stuff early, i alas didn't start until i was 16 and am a bit behind in terms of progress. i've since told myself in the long run this doesnt matter, its not a sprint but marathon, its just hard to watch them sometimes though i've found its a great practice motivator.

I started when I was three years old and recently left, It became a chore for me over something I loved doing.
I suggest you look up a drummer called Akira Jimbo. Hes a world class jazz/latin drummer who started when he was 20. He proves that age doesn't matter.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4fCiGc25ic"]YouTube- Akira Jimbo - Aerobics of Alien[/ame]

I envy the same thing. :-/ Not drummers specifically, but anyone who started very young learning skills I struggle with.

But at the same time, I think it's pointless to envy anyone. We all have joy and pain ... and we all ultimately have the same fate. We're on this ship together.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn2NflIM3RU"]YouTube- Wild Brown Bears in Finland[/ame]

I'm just gonnnnnaaaa leave this here.

[MENTION=947]aeon[/MENTION]; well, how about without the negative part? The "I wish I have that. I WISH I HAVE THAT." You don't need to make others unhappy, but what is it that you really want?

AH, I remembered another one; wisdom.

I envy those who have peace of mind.

If Only I Could

I don't envy this "team" of rider and mare.... But ohhhh would I give just about anything to do that one time in my life.

Beautiful...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKQgTiqhPbw"]YouTube- ANDREAS HELGSTRAND - WEG2006 Freestyle Final[/ame]

I started when I was three years old and recently left, It became a chore for me over something I loved doing.
I suggest you look up a drummer called Akira Jimbo. Hes a world class jazz/latin drummer who started when he was 20. He proves that age doesn't matter.

YouTube- Akira Jimbo - Aerobics of Alien

hey he's quite good and i plan on looking up more of him later tonight (surprised i hadn't heard of him before) but thanks for the encouragement, nice to know i'm not the only one who started late :)