What makes someone a good partner? | INFJ Forum

What makes someone a good partner?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Beyond what you like about the person, what qualities, behaviors, actions, or attitudes in a relationship make someone a good or great partner?

that they really love you for what you are

I can't think of anything else but Compatibility. You can have two great people get into a relationship, but if they are not compatible with each other they will both be unhappy.

I'm thinking that a good partner is someone you can count on - not always but most of the time, someone who invests time in the relationship, offers moral or emotional support when necessary, and being willing to help their partner if they can.

Good partnership involves actions which show that they want to work with their partner to build a strong and healthy relationship, and doesn't expect it to happen just like that.

Reactions: MindYourHead
Chemistry.

hugs
emoticon-bear-animate.gif

A good relationship is one where both people support each other despite their inadequacies. Where there's a deep connection both emotionally and physically. When they will stop what they're doing to give you a hug when you've had a bad day. So many more things...

Reactions: hush and Gaze
Supportive Freedom.

Uses listening checks in conversations (especially over the phone) and is totally into me. Everything else can be subjective.

Reactions: Gaze
In the long run, to me what has been the most important thing is a willingness to allow change. Life is a journey with many unknowns. The best traveling partner is one who who will forgive the bumps in the road and accept that sometimes they happen. Be able to listen, and respect the other person's decisions, even though they may not completely understand. If something happens, and you break down, that person will help to fix the problem, in order to continue your journey together.

They will laugh at your stupid jokes, listen to your crazy ideas, and gently steer you back, when you've gone too far astray.

They know that one day the journey will end... So throughout your travels, a good partner will always in some way, remind you of the wonderful things you both have seen and experienced together.

In the long run, to me what has been the most important thing is a willingness to allow change. Life is a journey with many unknowns. The best traveling partner is one who who will forgive the bumps in the road and accept that sometimes they happen. Be able to listen, and respect the other person's decisions, even though they may not completely understand. If something happens, and you break down, that person will help to fix the problem, in order to continue your journey together.

They will laugh at your stupid jokes, listen to your crazy ideas, and gently steer you back, when you've gone too far astray.

They know that one day the journey will end... So throughout your travels, a good partner will always in some way, remind you of the wonderful things you both have seen and experienced together.

This appeals to the ewwwy gooey side that I pretend I don't have.

Last edited:
Loyalty... nobody wants to be betrayed.

To be this goes without a saying that it's not even a determinant of a good partner. To me, there is no "partner" in the first place, if there isn't loyalty.

Reactions: Gaze
For me it's basically someone who doesn't get involved in the pieces of my life that I don't want them to and allows me my independence and expects the same kind of thing in return in regards to their life and independence. I understand that might sound fucked up to some people but basically I have to have freedom and I won't get into a relationship if that freedom is denied to me. To live chained to the decision making processes of others is a bondage I simply can not take in my life and I would hope a partner of mine would have enough respect for themselves to feel the same way about their life.

Reactions: JCPA
A neverending supply of sammiches.

Fortunately, I found this person 14 years ago.

Someone I can trust without question.
Someone who doesn't try to change who I am.
Someone I can count on. All the time.
Someone who is productive and not lazy.
Someone with a similar sense of humor. Or, at least enjoys my twisted humor.
Someone who is caring of others.

And of course, someone who makes a tasty sammich.

To be this goes without a saying that it's not even a determinant of a good partner. To me, there is no "partner" in the first place, if there isn't loyalty.

I’ve seen “good” marriages last for a number of years… one instance of infidelity can bring them to ruin, all I’m saying is that I don’t want that be me. I’m not sure 100% loyalty over years (or decades) is always easy/possible… but it should be something a “good” partner maintains (through it all).

Last edited:
Reactions: mochi and Gaze