What is your American Accent? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

What is your American Accent?

hmm i'm originally from ontario too...maybe that's got something to do with it!

Maybe the person who wrote the test thought that the whole 'Canadians say a-boot' thing is real.
It's actually not.

Maybe the person who wrote the test thought that the whole 'Canadians say a-boot' thing is real.
It's actually not.

The funny accented words are usually attributed to our Newfie & Nova Scotian cousins in the East. It's like making fun of Americans based on stereotypes of Midwestern rednecks.

They placed me a little too far South of were I grew up, which is Minnesota.
Heckuva deal doncha know.

Neutral
You`re not Northern, Southern, or Western, you`re just plain -American-. Your national identity is more important than your local identity, because you don`t really have a local identity. You might be from the region in that map, which is defined by this kind of accent, but you could easily not be.
full_428371978.jpg

Northern
You have a Northern accent. That could either be the Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo accent (easily recognizable) or the Western New England accent that news networks go for.
Sounds right. I was born in upstate New York and spent the last 30 years in Southeastern New England. There ought to be a question pertaining to how pronounces r's at the end of words.

full_537664926.jpg

One of my best friends from Ontario said "Home Depot" ... "Home Dehpoh" It was cute. :D (Deepoh)

I would say it like your friend, too.

I answered the test with the words how I say them and I got something that included New Jersey.

But, yeah, I answered how I think they actually are. Like, the words...that's how you should say them without an American accent at all and I get NJ.

One of my best friends from Ontario said "Home Depot" ... "Home Dehpoh" It was cute. :D (Deepoh)

lol strange way to pronounce it. i wonder what part of ontario they're from.
i notice no one in the west says 'eh' the way they do in the more eastern parts of canada.
that damned 'eh' curses all of us non-eh canadians i tell ya

That is the English way of saying it as well, though. I mean, I know 'Home Depot' as a brand and so I would say it their way if I ever had to but the word 'Depot', untied from that brand, would be said 'deh-po' in England more often.

Pronouncing the 't' would be a strange way to say it but, according to this test, not wrong. :tongue1:

Mid Atlantic

Also known as a "Philadelphia accent" but also heard in south Jersey, Baltimore, and thereabouts.

I was born in Los Angeles, CA. but raised in Philly so this is accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol strange way to pronounce it. i wonder what part of ontario they're from.
i notice no one in the west says 'eh' the way they do in the more eastern parts of canada.
that damned 'eh' curses all of us non-eh canadians i tell ya

Yup, she says "eh" too. LOL She is north of Toronto.

I've never understood "eh". It always seemed kind of offensive to me. I never heard it used until I joined this forum.

Do you not watch South Park?

That's where I heard it first. I've not heard it many other places come to think of it.

I've never understood "eh". It always seemed kind of offensive to me. I never heard it used until I joined this forum.
I've heard it used, but by people from Minnesota.

Which American accent do you have?

My Results:

Neutral You`re not Northern, Southern, or Western, you`re just plain -American-. Your national identity is more important than your local identity, because you don`t really have a local identity. You might be from the region in that map, which is defined by this kind of accent, but you could easily not be. Or maybe you just moved around a lot growing up.

Do you not watch South Park?

That's where I heard it first. I've not heard it many other places come to think of it.

Actually, now that you mention it I think I do recognize it from South Park. Eh... I think I like it now.

I got Northeastern when I thought about the words and made sure I pronounced each of them - from NY so it makes sense. When I let myself slide and got lazier, it came out as Southern. Which also makes sense since I spent 2 years talkin' with folks from that part of the country. (see what I did there? :D)