What is wrong with this world? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

What is wrong with this world?

hey soulsearcher, I'd quote you but I haven't yet figured out how to use the quote button all too well.

Yes I am saying that we have "created" evil, even though I believe it to be part of human nature. I know that is somewhat of an oxymoron but I'll try to explain. Since we have the ability to reason, we have the ability to choose what is right we are at the same time deciding what is wrong, therefore creating evil because like you said previously, some people will always go against the grain. I agree with you saying evil and moral are all relative.

Personally I think we've gotten past the point of survival to the point that we are interested in advancement. With advancements in science come the goods and the bads (but dont get me wrong, I am not against the advancement of the human race).

The human race has done many many good things, but I think most of the good comes in trying to lessen the effects of the bad. I think we mess up more than we get right and most of the stuff we get right is the fix what we messed up.

I hope it doesn't sound like I am being cynical towards the human race because that hasn't been my objective. I'm just saying that because we are arguably the most advanced species on the planet (which may or may not be a good thing, i haven't decided), we are at the top of the pyramid of life and without us no harm would be done to the rest. Life on the planet would continue as normal without us; I even have a feeling life would thrive. Mankind would have to cease to exist (which I am in no way advocating) for suffering to stop.

I guess my conclusion for this has been that almost all suffering has been brought on upon by ourselves (mankind as a whole) and that without us (with logical reasoning) the evil of the world would disappear.

I agree, this is a very interesting topic to think about

hey soulsearcher, I'd quote you but I haven't yet figured out how to use the quote button all too well.

:)- don't worry about it. I'm doing it the long way by pressing quote (bottom RH corner of post) and then copy and pasting all the extra stuff they put in!

The human race has done many many good things, but I think most of the good comes in trying to lessen the effects of the bad. I think we mess up more than we get right and most of the stuff we get right is the fix what we messed up.

Hmmm...:m075: as I was reading this I suddenly thought of how relatively young the human race is to the rest of earth. Perhaps if we think of mankind as a child who is growing up, making mistakes, learning from them and moving on- sometimes to bigger mistakes and other times to better things, then the 'evils' that man creates become easier to accept and if not, then easier to understand

However then the logical argument against that, is that the mankind has not shown any signs of improving its evils at present, and the constant loom of technology, which could be used for good or ill, has not made a difference to this yet. But perhaps in the future humans can improve- i like to hope so.

I hope it doesn't sound like I am being cynical towards the human race because that hasn't been my objective. I'm just saying that because we are arguably the most advanced species on the planet

I've often thought this fact was queer- the fact that no other animals have evolved into intelligent life. What was so special about us? Why did we evolve?
lol- anyway :focus:

I guess my conclusion for this has been that almost all suffering has been brought on upon by ourselves (mankind as a whole) and that without us (with logical reasoning) the evil of the world would disappear.

Mine is, I think, that although I accept that mankind has caused abominable evils, I will always I think have a secret hope that we as a whole can strive towards a more peaceful society living in harmony with the world.

I know- what a dreamer!! :m107:

I think our debate might have scared other people away! sorry people- it's safe to come out now! :fencing: over!

this has tied in nicely with my revision on the problem of evil (AS's soon :( )

Hmmm...:m075: as I was reading this I suddenly thought of how relatively young the human race is to the rest of earth. Perhaps if we think of mankind as a child who is growing up, making mistakes, learning from them and moving on- sometimes to bigger mistakes and other times to better things, then the 'evils' that man creates become easier to accept and if not, then easier to understand

However then the logical argument against that, is that the mankind has not shown any signs of improving its evils at present, and the constant loom of technology, which could be used for good or ill, has not made a difference to this yet. But perhaps in the future humans can improve- i like to hope so.
I believe the primary problem is that we use 21st century technology with a Medieval mindset. The concept that humans were 'ordained' to rule the world is imbedded in the thinking of most people. This is supported by a Judeo-Christian-Islamic style of thinking based on the accepted religious texts of our current cultures. Whether one adheres to these religious philosophies or not, the mindset is part of the warp and weft of collective Occidental culture. Many Oriental cultures, though not all, share this opinion, though stemming from different backgrounds.
We consider our species superior because we are the most effective hunters, builders, and enslavers.
But is this the definition of a superior species?

I've often thought this fact was queer- the fact that no other animals have evolved into intelligent life. What was so special about us? Why did we evolve?
Evolutionary theory is utilised to support this mindset as well, professing that we are the most evolved.
But, in truth, are we? Does a highly evolved life-form destroy its own environment and food sources? Does that imply any sort of wisdom or intelligence? Or does it merely imply an advanced and complex set of survival skills taken past their limits?

On a side note, has anyone seen The Day The Earth Stood Still (the new one)? There is a line which Klaatu says in the first part of the film which sums it all up.

Last edited:
But is this the definition of a superior species?
Evolutionary theory is utilised to support this mindset as well, professing that we are the most evolved.
But, in truth, are we? Does a highly evolved life-form destroy its own environment and food sources? Does that imply any sort of wisdom or intelligence? Or does it merely imply an advanced and complex set of survival skills taken past their limits?

Pleasures before concern?

Last edited:
Too many selfish jerks who only care about themselves. Too many cowards who are too busy in front of the TV to stand up for what's right. Too many hypocrites who say one thing and do the opposite. Too many close-minded bigots. Too many fanatics and ideologues.

I think the world needs a technological society made up of caring individuals who would meet their needs, and then help others. I think if we all learned to serve before demanding to take up the banner of 'leadership' then the world would be very different. Instead of trying to 'win' and be 1st in everything, try to do something that will really make a difference.

The problem in the world is people complain too much without taking responsibility and action.

I think the world needs a technological society made up of caring individuals who would meet their needs, and then help others. I think if we all learned to serve before demanding to take up the banner of 'leadership' then the world would be very different. Instead of trying to 'win' and be 1st in everything, try to do something that will really make a difference.
I agree completely. Too much egotistical ambition and lust for power and not enough caring for others.