What is God? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

What is God?

Jesus came to do the will of His Father; God. Denying the Father figure is denying all scriptures. I really don't know what gender G-d is....never heard of that entity. Look at Mary the physical mother of Jesus for femininity.

Finish reading "there is no difference in the Jew and the Greek".

Before I start, I want to make it clear that I don't believe G-d is male. Sex is a quality of the created world, part of the life/death cycle. Therefore, as G-d is not part of creation, the concept of sex does not apply. All three pronouns (he, she, it) express different aspects of G-d, but none encompasses G-d.

That said, the G-d of the Jews is understood primarily as a Creator who has shown an interest in how we treat one another, and who has revealed himself to as as the Lawgiver, that our behavior might be modified as to be above the animals. If a hamster does his mom, other hamsters don't care. If a human did his mom, it would rouse our conscience--in most cases. For those who don't "get it" that you don't do your mom, we make rules to clarify it with consequences to discourage it. Okay NOW I have to deal with some statistical generalities -- which means that the things I'm about to say will have plenty of exceptions. I'm strictly referring to the top of the bell shaped curve, so don't let it throw you. IF you examine male clergy, you find that in general they are more didactic, explaining to their congregations a better way to live. IF you examine female clergy, you find that their focus is helping individuals grow and creating harmony within the group. Both of these approaches are essentially good, despite their obvious differences. NOW, looking at those statistical generalizations, do you see why Jews primarily view the Lawgiving G-d as male? Oh, sure we are not limited to that personification--the Shekinah is a FEMININE noun indicating the localized presence of the omnipresent G-d. But if you understand that "He" simply refers to G-d's more masculine traits, and isn't actually stating that G-d is a male, it WORKS.

I truly hope this was helpful in a non-pushy way.

Sure. I gotcha.

My experience of gender is much more complicated than types. God isn't masculine or feminine to me.

Finish reading "there is no difference in the Jew and the Greek".
Yeah, that's the same verse that says there is no male nor female. BTW, your quote isn't QUITE accurate. There is no word "difference."

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. Galations 3:28

Last edited:
Sometimes, people express beliefs strongly for which they lack certainty. It's as if in the strong expression they find an absolute affirmation not felt. Arguments tend to amplify expression and partition belief. Thus, belief evolves according to the external argument, not the internal uncertainty.
You are referring to a well known neurotic function. However, in this case Peace is correct, that the primary motivation of most of this behavior is usually compassion, the feeling that others are missing out on something very meaningful. In the case of atheists, the driving motivation is often trying to save people from wasting time and energy on falsehoods.

In my case, I just give strong opinions on everything because I'm mouthy. I dropped adding the "I think" or "I believe" when I read that men don't use those phrases as much and it gets them more respect.

*looks in the mirror*

lol jk

I feel like God is one big hax0r in the sky. But I also think this is probably just all in my head.

Last edited:
Love is subjective, a personal state of mind, it exists only in our minds, our personal perceptions of it define its existence, but love is not *supposed* to exist anywhere but in our minds, the only evidence for its existence is our perception of it. God is not subjective. If he exists,he shouldn’t just exist in our minds, his nature should not be defined by our perception of him. Subjective sensations can be evidence for a subjective experience or feeling (love), but not for an objective being or entity (god).Whereas we all experience love similarly, the existence of god is an extraordinary claim, not in line with everyone’s experience. So, this “god is love” argument, and to say that one exists is to say that the other exists, is just a logical fallacy.

"Love is subjective, a personal state of mind, it exists only in our minds, our personal perceptions of it define its existence, but love is not *supposed* to exist anywhere but in our minds, the only evidence for its existence is our perception of it."

Who says where love is supposed to exist only in our minds? If I am loved, there is much more evidence than in my mind. I think someone has a lot to learn about love. Love is an action word; even a commandment. Love is even a creator of sorts. Love can be witnessed and seen. Love, only in the mind, would seem somewhat selfish to me.

Last edited:
Who says where love is supposed to exist only in our minds?
I agree. We do have a subjective experience of love, sure, but love also transcends this by a large margin and exists (most powerfully) in and of itself. In this case, love can express itself in a knowing, interactive, personal manner that far, far exceeds human knowing or understanding. This is the realm of God.

Reactions: barbad0s
God is and always will be, there is no other way to proclaim God. We can not say he or she or love or hate, because we do not know, but what we do know is that, God is...

Electromagnetism affects our nervous system, so maybe God is nothing more than the electromagnetic spectrum.

Reactions: barbad0s
Err, as of late, God is taking on a variety of forms in that people refer to a plethora of things as God. "God is love." "God is nature." "God is the good in people." "God is holiness." "God is the metaphysical forces which bind us together." "God is order." God is Allah, Jesus, Jehova, Zeus, Krishna, Karma, Ra.

I know; I'm a bit lost, too...

Every time I see this thread title pop up in the new posts section, I sing in my head...

What is God?

Baby don't hurt me

Dont hurt me

No more...

dun dun dun na na...

Reactions: manatee
Though I'm not a Christian, the bible is a book that continues to fascinate because it speaks a lot of people. From a historical point of view, the evidence that King David did not exist is overwhelming, but it's fairly certain that some entity called Jesus (be he man or God) did exist. It is also very unlikely that Israel was ever united, or that monotheism was dominant in the jewish population at the time of the old testament.

IN support of this theory: And he said “Yahweh came from Sinai and he rose for him (i.e. Israel) from Seir; he shone from the mount of Paran and he came from [the midst of] myriads of holy ones, from his right hand [came] eshdat for him (or his eshdat).”

The words eshdat and Asherah read respectively as; אשדת and אשרה. It is entirely possible that the words were confused because of the poor state of the original texts. Ashera was worshipped as the wife of Yahweh in almost all of the surrounding regions.

That being said, I think people's religions should always be respected. Going back to the topic at hand, I think that God is purpose: he or she is the reason that things exist. Perhaps real or perhaps fictional. Still this figure of God serves a purpose. It provides people with direction, and purpose, such that it is the very purpose it creates.

It can be said then that any purpose is a God. Thus man himself can become God...

Are we talking about the Judeo-Christian god of the Bible? If we are then, I don't believe he exists, I see no evidence to make me reconsider my opinion, after ten years in a Pentecostal church, born again and spirit filled, I can say with all honestly I was lied to.

Let's ask Dictionary.com:

God
noun
the one Supreme Being, the creator and ruler of the universe.
the Supreme Being considered with reference to a particular attribute: the God of Islam.
(lowercase) one of several deities, especially a male deity, presiding over some portion of worldly affairs.
(often lowercase) a supreme being according to some particular conception: the god of mercy.
Christian Science. the Supreme Being, understood as Life, Truth, love, Mind, Soul, Spirit, Principle.

God is a personal, intellectual being who is Omipotent, Omniscience, Omnipresent and Omnibenevolence.

Correction ... God AS.

God as a projection screen.
God as an ink blot.
God as big fluffy clouds upon which we may apperceive any suchness we'd like.
God as a megaphone for the clerical version of `Simon Says' ... God says DO THIS ... now DO THAT!
God as `the man behind the curtain' ... the Wizard of Oz.
God as immaterial ... having no mass nor matter for an empiricist to sense.
etc, etc.