What happens when we die? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What happens when we die?

I don't think it really matters what happens after we die. My focuse is living my life right here and right now to its fullest, loving nad serving G-d, and enjoyin the creation he has given us. At the end of my life, I want to feel the satisfaction of knowning I have mattered, that I have truly lived, and not suddenly realize that here at the end of life I never really lived.

I am highly influenced by a story in a book of Christian fairy tales. Once upon a time, and old, old chinese woman would rise very early and roll out her prayer matt. As she meditated, the fortunes for all her customers would go through her mind, She would get up and carefully record the fortunes to be placed in the fortuen cookies. One evening, a man and his fiance came to dinner. They enjoyed opeining their cookies and reading the fortunes. As the fiance excused herself to go to the washroom, the young man read and reread his fortune. Then he broke off a small part and swallowed it. The chinese woman smiled, for the man unerstood that a fortune must be nourished. So what had the fortune been? "You shall died a happy man." Each day, the young man considered that today could be the last day of his life, and broke off another piece of the fortune to eat. He finally died at a ripe old age. The one thing all the guests agree upon, he had certinly died a happy man.

I don't know

I do know that you can't destroy energy; it just transforms into something else

The ancient Egyptians believed that when you die Anubis weighs your heart. You have to atone for your bad karma...purge yourself of it

Many people who have experimented with entheogens eg DMT (which many believe occurs naturally in ther brain and is responsible for dreams and near death experiences) have described experiences of remorse for their past actions and some feel an overwhelming need after the experience to then make amends for those actions. ....in a sense cleansing yourself before that meeting with Anubis...but in this life not after it

Theories about the nature of reality, for example that the universe is a hologram, or that it is multidimensional, really leave the door open to many possibilities

Perhaps we are, as some people suggest, here in this incarnation to learn/experienece something as apart of a greater whole; sadly many people don't see this reality as simply a shared experience and constantly drive wedges between people.....some people have an interest, whether it is the pursuit or retention of power or financial wealth to ensure that most people do not develop such perceptions of interconnectivity

I believe in the Christian stuff. :) I've heard of people who have died and then been revived who have had glimpses of heaven or hell. Of course, many people probably had completely different visions than that for all I know. An interesting book for this subject would be Plato's four dialogues of Socrates. Socrates weaves quite a web of arguments to show that the soul will survive after the body is dead. Quite a web. So many arguments that you basically end up agreeing with him because you don't really know what he is talking about any more.

I figure it will be just like it was before I was born.

I have been watching this show called "I Survived. Beyond and Back."
They interview many people that have died but were brought back. Really makes you think.
The few that tried to kill themselves, or were not good people in life went down into a hellish place.

Many others experienced a sense of nirvana. Many were asked by a presence, "what good have you done for your fellow man?" Others were sent back after being told it was not their time yet.
Many were, or are still mad they got sent back.
These common themes have to be more than just coincidence, or a hallucinations brought on by the process of dying.
Too many have experienced the same things.

I recently finished reading the book on Steve Jobs written by Walter Isaacson.
Before he died Steve ruminated on what he thought happens after death.
He said he figures it may be like an On/Off switch. "Maybe why I didn't put On/Off switches on the Mac."
I thought that was humorous.

Last edited:
We leave behind various artifacts that can be used to posthumously analyze us.

What happens when I die? I think someone will have a party and celebrate it :p

I don't believe there is an after life like in "heaven and hell".

My body will live on though in an other shape. all particles that now make up my body will disolve and be used to built other beings

as for my spirit/soul. I have no idea. If my soul is energy, it can be that it is also reused to create something else. I like to believe that everything is ONE/nothing and the idea of being an individual with our own mind is just an illusion. And when I die the illusion will end

maybe somewhere in the universe there is an anti-me and when I die we are joint together again and disappear. The same whey that matter and anti-matter are two sides of a coin and when brought together they end up in nothing.

I think that heaven is just a creation to solve a lot of problems:
- people are afraid of death so they make themselves feel better by believing that there is life after death
- it is a great tool to force people into "good behavior". You will only go to heaven when you are a good person. And so the church can keep its power over people
- it is also a way to make all the misery of life worth something. We may have a hard life now but if we now do our best, we will be rewarded after death. What a great idea. We can make people work without rewarding them because the reward comes after they died!! :)

why would we want to live on like spirits in a cloud like environment where we can eat rice pudding with golden spoons. What kind of life is that?

Last edited:
Reactions: AUM
I believe that human beings have eternal souls (since eternity nor infinity exists in nature, this is again is a metaphysical statement).
I have faith in Christ that he was telling the truth, that there is good historical reasons to believe in not only his existence but also in his death and resurrection, and that there are good logical and reasonable grounds to believe in the existence of a personal and divine, supernatural being whom we call God.

I would love to go to heaven, but whether I go there or not, I'll have to see. On this I'm going by faith.

you claim that you base your answer on logic and evidence but you give no evidence

how can you prove that Jesus really existed? there is no conclusive evidence that he existed, died and especially not resurrected as we are told. The only thing we have are the stories told about him and some vague notes in Roman archives about a man in Judea called Jesus

how can yo prove that what is written about him is the same thing as what he really said and did? The only thing we have are stories that are twisted during 2000 years and written in an old language so that we are not even sure about what is meant

and how can you prove that what he said is the truth?

in the end your only prove to your believes is your faith that it is true...

As far as Heaven is concerned, it is the place of God. The only ones that are in Heaven are those that desire to be with God, accept God for who God is, humble themselves, place nothing above or equal to God and are willing to submit under his grace. The joy of Heaven is being in the presence of God, for me it would be an honor to be with God without the problems of the world on my shoulders. What I go through here on earth will be miniscule in comparison to the concept of eternal life, whichever way the scales tip. For some of those alive, earth will be either the closest thing to hell or heaven that they will experience.

What of people who know no concept of any god, or the Christian God in particular? Or those people who existed before Christianity, or who exist now and go their whole lives never incorporating the idea of God into their lives (or even knowing of the idea)? Would heaven be forfeit to them, and only available to those who, by chance, were introduced to Christianity at some point in their lives and accepted it as their faith, and God as truth? For those who didn't believe in God, or didn't even know such a concept existed, could they get into heaven on the basis of the good deeds they did throughout their lives? On the basis of their character? What if they believe in a god of another religion, Allah, for example? That would still be the representation of the same divine force, right? It just doesn't seem fair that only those who accept God would get into heaven, when not everyone has an equal opportunity to even learn of such a God to accept.

Whatever you believe in, I believe that humans should strive to make the most of what they have here already, for all we know, this might be it.
This might truly be it, yes, and it would be a shame to waste what we have now, having believed that there was something waiting around the corner (and then having that not be the case).

Some of this would be great conversation when stoned.
If each of us has a soul, and after we die our soul either goes to heaven or hell, how are there still enough souls to go around considering that there are more people on Earth today than ever?
Are our souls recycled? Have we been here before?

What of people who know no concept of any god, or the Christian God in particular? Or those people who existed before Christianity, or who exist now and go their whole lives never incorporating the idea of God into their lives (or even knowing of the idea)? Would heaven be forfeit to them, and only available to those who, by chance, were introduced to Christianity at some point in their lives and accepted it as their faith, and God as truth? For those who didn't believe in God, or didn't even know such a concept existed, could they get into heaven on the basis of the good deeds they did throughout their lives? On the basis of their character? What if they believe in a god of another religion, Allah, for example? That would still be the representation of the same divine force, right? It just doesn't seem fair that only those who accept God would get into heaven, when not everyone has an equal opportunity to even learn of such a God to accept.

Myself, I don't think heaven is only reserved for those of the Christian faith.
I believe what ever higher power there is, judges us by what is in our hearts. Are we evil? or are we good? Do we deserve to be in heaven and sit at their side?
I was baptized and brought up as a Christian, (Lutheran) but don't believe Christians "own" heaven.
The Catholics may lay claim to it though. Which could be trouble for us Protestants and others.
j/k. :)

Some of this would be great conversation when stoned.
If each of us has a soul, and after we die our soul either goes to heaven or hell, how are there still enough souls to go around considering that there are more people on Earth today than ever?
Are our souls recycled? Have we been here before?

Myself, I don't think heaven is only reserved for those of the Christian faith.
I believe what ever higher power there is, judges us by what is in our hearts. Are we evil? or are we good? Do we deserve to be in heaven and sit at their side?
I was baptized and brought up as a Christian, (Lutheran) but don't believe Christians "own" heaven.
The Catholics may lay claim to it though. Which could be trouble for us Protestants and others.
j/k. :)

If heaven did exist, I would strongly hope that it wasn't only reserved for Christians. I'd want to know that being kind and loving towards others, for instance, meant something, even if I weren't Christian. My faith remains tentatively spiritual. ;) I was raised Catholic, but shied away from that fairly early on. The Catholics I heard preach during my youth would have claimed that heaven belonged most strongly to them (the others would still be loved by God, though - just possibly condemned to eternal flames). I still retain the experiences - mass, attending catechism classes, Bible study, briefly going to Catholic school, etc... but, I don't know, that all kind of crumbled away. Having questioned Christianity I couldn't treat any other religion differently, and eventually came to the simple conclusion that I could never know what lies beyond, if anything. I kind of get the feeling that there's something more, though, that we're all connected on some deeper level and that this can't be all there is to our existences. Maybe, maybe not.

Can one easily define "good" and "evil," though? There are some instances in which it's fairly easy to see the roots of evil, such as the exploitation, oppression, and violation of other human beings, but at the same time there are moments when good/evil aren't applicable or determinable. What if someone lived with poison in his/her heart, but died young, before they had the chance to potentially redeem themselves throughout their lifetime? I guess if there were an omniscient all-seeing force, it could see that sort of light shining in the person's heart... ? Why must we be constantly judged, though? Why can't a soul that suffered in life find peace in the afterlife, finally able to rest? The idea of justice, I suppose, is inherent to the concept of heaven/hell, but justice can be murky territory. Such a judgment seems too final and leaves no room to make up for past mistakes - if God were truly just and loving, it would allow for its children to some atonement for what they did during their lives, and find some rest.

Reactions: MindYourHead
you claim that you base your answer on logic and evidence but you give no evidence

how can you prove that Jesus really existed? there is no conclusive evidence that he existed, died and especially not resurrected as we are told. The only thing we have are the stories told about him and some vague notes in Roman archives about a man in Judea called Jesus

how can yo prove that what is written about him is the same thing as what he really said and did? The only thing we have are stories that are twisted during 2000 years and written in an old language so that we are not even sure about what is meant

and how can you prove that what he said is the truth?

in the end your only prove to your believes is your faith that it is true...

No one asked for it. Partly because this thread is to with the question 'what happens after death?', discussing indepthly about Jesus would be going off topic. Though now that I've been asked, I will provide a list concerning some of my reasons why I believe the historical Jesus existed.

Now the biggest problem on my part is proving the existence of an individual who left no writing's of himself, but rather oral statements and actions recorded down by others. Though in the case of the 'Jesus myth' I doubt it would make little difference. However, on that note, such a case isn't unusual for figures of antiquity; the Greek philosopher Socrates also left no writings of his own, his disciple Plato wrote down what we know about him today and yet many of us don't have trouble accepting the fact that Socrates was a real, flesh and blood human being. Jesus had multiple disciples (including his own younger brother, James) who recorded down his sayings and the events that took place.

The next questions that naturally follow are; 'how historically accurate are the writings of the disciples?' 'Is it possible that the disciples wrote down false accounts and descriptions of the historical Jesus in order to imply his divinity?'

Today, most mainstream historians agree with the notion that Jesus was historical figure based on these premises; writings found in both inside and outside of the new testament, which includes Christian, Roman and Jewish sources, which is remarkable considering how obscure Jesus was. Jesus at most had a 3 year public life as a Galilean preacher, and yet there is far more information on Jesus of Nazareth's life and ministry than there of other historical figures in antiquity. The most important of these sources have been collected into what is known as the New Testament. Sources outside of the bible confirms what is already found in the New Testament. Though this may appear to be circular reasoning; proving the bible with the bible, or begging the question by quoting scripture - presupposing that the New Testament is reliable - however historians, scholars and philosophers alike are testing the documents found in the New Testament in the same fashion as any other ancient document is being tested today. Bear in mind that the New Testament is a collection of documents and letters which were handed down through several churches and were not brought together to form the New Testament until 3rd century AD. The chruch in forming the New Testament only selected sources that were earliest and closest to Jesus and the disciples and left out the secondary accounts which were proven to be forged and hypocritical in contrast with the original documents. The best historical sources on Jesus are found within the New Testament documents. Everything found outside of the New Testament is considered secondary and less reliable in terms of historical accuracy.

For anyone interested, here is a link that provides the translated texts rejected from the New Testament, most of these texts were written in the 2nd century AD and later. http://notinthebible.com/
Dating of the New Testament Documents: http://www.freebeginning.com/new_testament_dates/
Jesus Christs DOB: 4 B.C.
Jesus Christs DOD: 30 A.D

The next question is 'should we assume that the gospels are reliable unless proven to be unreliable or should we assume that the gospels are unreliable until proven to be reliable?'

Here are five basic reasons given by Dr. William Lane Craig why it would be historical unjustified to assume that Gospels are unreliable, unless or until proven to be correct;

1. Insufficient time for legendary influences to expunge historical facts during the crucial time period between the events and the evidence of those events.

Good evidence doesn't become poor evidence just because of the passage of time, so long as the time gap between the events and the evidence of those events is short, then it is irrelevant how long ago the events have been to the present day. Based on this, there is more historically accurate evidence for the life of Jesus than there is for Alexander the Great in which his biography was not written for centuries after his death. According to historian A.N. Sherwin-White (who is by no means a theologian) states that; tests show that even two generations is too short a time span to allow legendary tendencies to wipe out the hard core of historical facts. For the gospels to be legends, the rate of legendary accumulation would have to be 'unbelievable', more generations would be needed.
Adding two generations onto the period after the death of Jesus Christ would place you in 2nd Century A.D. the time period in which the first, false gospels and letters begin to appear. Remarkably, Marks account of passion is the oldest record in the New Testament, which in itself derives from a source that predates his gospel to A.D. 37, 7 years after the crucifixion of Jesus.

2. The Gospels are not analogous to folktales or urban legends.

3. The Jewish transmission of sacred traditions was highly developed and reliable.

In an oral culture such as 1st century Palestine, the ability to memorize and retain large tracks of oral tradition was a highly prized and highly developed skill. From the earliest age children in the home, elementary school and in the synagogue were taught to memorize faithfully sacred traditions. The disciples would of exercised similar care with respect to the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth.

4. There were significant restraints on the embellishment in the traditions about Jesus. Such as; the presence of eye witnesses and the apostles supervision.

Since those that had heard and seen Jesus, continued to live and the tradition about Jesus remained under the supervision of the apostles, these factors would act as a natural check on tendencies to elaborate the facts in a direction which would be contrary to that which was preserved by those who had known and walked with Jesus themselves.

5. The gospel writers have a proven track record of historical reliability.

One example for an instance is Luke. Luke was the author of a two part work; the gospel of Luke and the Acts of the apostles. The two parts are separated because the church wanted to group the gospels together, but really Luke and Acts are one book that should be read together (starting with Acts which overlaps significantly with the secular history of the ancient world). Luke is the gospel writer who writes most self consciously as a historian, In the preface to his work he states the following;

Luke 1 - 1:4 Inasmuch as many have undertaken to compile a narrative of the things that have been accomplished among us, just as those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the word have delivered them to us, it seemed good to me also, having followed all things closely for some time past, to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, that you may have certainty concerning the things you have been taught.

This preface was originally written in classical Greek, as used by the classical Greek historians. After this preface, Luke switches to common Greek, however what this proves is that Luke was a highly educated individual who knew how to investigate and record history. The most significant of the eye witnesses that Luke interviewed was Jesus Christ's own mother who not witnessed his death but also discovered the empty tomb and was reportedly one of the first to meet Jesus after his resurrection. Sir William Mitchell Ramsay, world famous archeologist stated "Luke is a historian of the first rank, this author should be placed among the very greatest of historians."

The best way for the skeptic to apporach the documents found in the New Testament is with a neutral stance, until the gospels are proven to be in one form or the other to be historically inaccurate.

This is only a mere fragment as far as the subject is concerned, but I would rather not change the OP's topic, doing so would be throwing a red herring, which in itself is not only disrespectful but logically fallacious.
Note that this post is not the reason why I am a Christian, rather this post is one of the basic reasons why a individual would be justified in their belief in the existence of the historical Jesus.

well my friend, i had a near death experience and all i recall is an absolute darkness and nothingness, its really hard to explain with words...

When we die we loose consciousness and our bodies decompose. However, our slumber is not eternal.

I do not see any reason to support the notion of a naturally immortal soul. That is a borrowing from pagan philosophy rather than a genuine Jewish or Christian doctrine. A dichotomy between good spirit and evil matter is a doctrine that is at the heart of the Gnostic heresies and anathema to orthodox Christianity. Salvation as a spirit escaping the prison of the body is among the most strongly denounced of heresies. Christians do not long to be naked spirits, but to be further clothed in glorified bodies.

Scripture is quite clear that everyone will take part in a Bodily Resurrection in the last days. We will return to consciousness in recreated and very much physical forms. The saints will be given incorporable bodies in which to live for eternity, while those who rejected God will be punished for their sins and then will again cease to exist (this time permanently) in the second death. I don't buy the argument that the lake of fire involves eternal torture, since Christ used identical terms to describe the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah and we can clearly see that the land where these cities once stood is not still burning (nor was it 2000 years ago). The words commonly translated "eternal " or "everlasting" actually means "an [especially the next] Age" or "of [during, lasting, or pertaining to] an [especially the next] Age." The term age (Aion in Greek, from which we get the word eon) is just traditionally assumed to last forever except in those verses that clearly treat it as a finite time period, mentioning "the end of the age" or "two and a half ages."

The New Testament is clear that eternal life is a gift for those who are in Christ, not something that the soul possesses already. It also states plainly that only God is immortal. The most holy name of God describes Him not simply as a supreme being but as Being itself. Anyone completely separated from God is thus separated from existence, and so cannot continue to exist. The Doctrine of Conditional Immortality is much more scriptural than Eternal Damnation, which did not become popular in Christianity as a whole until Augustine of Hippo (who understood none of the original languages in which the bible was written) argued for it. Before that the doctrine was dogma only in the region of Carthage, whereas Conditional Immortality was dogma in Ephesus (where the John himself had continued to teach long after all the other disciples had died), and the other centers of the church which had no such dogma were more accepting of Universalism.

Only one way to find out

I saw this on Reddit:

9dabX.jpg

Exactly the same as before you were born. The thought of this state being unending, though, is a hard one to wrap your head around. It's one thing to have traveled infinity on the other side of your life (the before), it's entirely different thing to travel the one after, the one you'll never wake up from. It won't feel like anything, though. There will be no "you" to experience it. Existence will immediate switch from your perspective to the perspectives of the living.