What do you want out of a career? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What do you want out of a career?

What do you want out of a career?

• crave status and/or recognition (others value what I do)

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • crave financial abundance

Votes: 19 29.7%
  • crave objective importance (this matters, whether people care or not)

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • crave a career for which I can say "this is me"

Votes: 34 53.1%
  • long to help others

Votes: 27 42.2%
  • what I do, as opposed to what it accomplishes, is important

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • need a career that aligns with values not listed above

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • I just want a way to support myself that doesn't suck.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • This poll doesn't capture what I want out of a career

Votes: 12 18.8%

• Total voters
To be honest, something without a lot of hassle. Something in which I don't have to use my brain. Something that I can totally forget about when the work day is done. If I could bag groceries and earn a decent living, I would. Right now my dream is to get a job working at the craft store where, believe it or not I'd actually make close to double what I am making right now...in a respectable and utterly necessary field that prefers a college degree.
Shoot for the stars and land on the moon.

Last edited:
Intense passion and ability for something that few others are as capable as you. Your importance is noted. You deal with some type of human variable. Enough money to provide a comfortable living. Moderate autonomy. Creativity and independent thought is encouraged.

I think being an interpreter for a difficult language(s) would be very, very cool.

Limited to no social interaction.

Reactions: NeverAmI
What I want out of a career.. eg a job I would invest my life in, is that it sets me FREE from having to be dependent upon it, and I can do it because I love it rather than because it is necessary for me to do to earn a tiny little paycheck that magically disappears at the end of the week.

I refuse to do anything long term that forces me to sacrifice my time with God, my family, my friends, and everything important to me, to work for a boss who doesn't give a rat's behind about the life or dreams of his employees, who gives you a one time flat paycheck for all your work that will disappear in a few days. That is time spent that you never get back. I refuse to spend the majority of my time on my obligations as opposed to my priorities.

So what is it that you really want in, and out of, a career?
Satisfaction and meaning in that "self-actualization" kind of way. Sense of appreciation for what I do would be nice. And eventual recognition for my accomplishments (type 3 enneagram...).

Are you content with just a way to support yourself that isn't distasteful/mindless? Does it need to be important?
In the short term, maybe, but ultimately I would need a career and/or be working towards something that gives me a sense of purpose.

Would you agree with the statement "follow your heart" or "do what you love"?
Yes. Passion is the driving force behind great accomplishments. I follow my heart (even amidst the idealism and irrationality, at times), because I'll falter along the way otherwise (for not being true to myself / my radar for that is ALWAYS on and finely-tuned!).

Also, other interesting questions: do you think that people probably ought to be seeking something in particular out of a career (for their own happiness or other reasons)?
It depends on one's priorities. When you have debts to clear, and a family to see to, then you might not be able to solely pursue something for your own happiness. I'm 24 years old--personally, financial security and independence have always meant more to me than getting married/building a family, etc. My work is my life--it is something that is more than a job, and more than a way to earn income. So I personally do seek out careers that suit the values and talents I have. Some people will sh*t on you for being unconventional. I have since learned to tune out the naysayers, lol. In fact, I use them as fuel to work harder/better/faster/stronger (it's a Daft Punk song).

Ultimately, I am working towards being able to make a living from writing fiction. Just a basic minimum monthly income would do, for the moment / for the near future. I've built up a base (started the business in mid-2009)--I've about 3 more targets to hit before my dream/goal is a reality.

Do you think people often make big mistakes regarding what they think they want out of a career?
Yes, I think that very often people are driven by money / earning potential. It's like my friends in marketing/finance/business fields who majored in those areas at college, but never liked the subjects (and presumably, some aspects of their careers?). They majored in those areas for the earning potential and job security. If one's sense of identity is not clear/strong, then it is harder to adhere to the route which values personal satisfaction and self-expression (which does not necessarily mean zero income), over something more conventional/acceptable.

Last edited:
Enough money.
A tolerable environment and work hours.

That's it.

I picked one that supports me & doesn't suck, one which I can be gain status and recognition, and one which I can say "this is me"; primarily, thought I want a job which is creatively and intellectually stimulating

I want a career that supports my pro-nature agenda :)
Also, I like working with people who aren't asshats.

Something fun.
I don't care that much about money if the job is boring. What will I do with the money, try to buy things that will entertain myself despite being bored to death with my job? Nah.
I also want to work with a lot of people.

Thats pretty much it lol.

Something fun.
I don't care that much about money if the job is boring. What will I do with the money, try to buy things that will entertain myself despite being bored to death with my job? Nah.
I also want to work with a lot of people.

Thats pretty much it lol.

I've done this. There's not enough money in the world to make up for spending the bulk of your time in a job you're just counting down the hours until you can leave.

I want a job that takes advantage of my gifts and lets me get paid a little to do the sort of things I tend to do anyway.

For me that's engaging with people, hearing their stories and troubles, figuring out what makes people do the things they do, and finding and offering resources to help people manage life a little bit better.

I want a career that engages my interests. I also want a job that will make the world a better place for at least some people by being done.
I want to work with people and I don't want to be stuck behind a desk using a computer all day. I also don't want to work in any of the typical jobs blind people get. My life is all about breaking down walls and misconceptions, and I want my career to be like that too.

I'm almost finished with my associate's and I'm still trying to decide on my career path. It's what I value in life that's tripping me up. Sometimes I'd like to have a lot of money to blow, but more often I'd like a job in which I could both sustain myself peacefully and do something that is meaningful to me, as that is what ultimately makes me happy. I'm willing to sacrifice some nice things to feel like what I'm doing with my life is emotionally fulfilling not only for me, but for the people I work with as well. :smile:

I work for money. It in no way enriches my soul and I can't see how it would. I resent putting my mind up for hire.