What do you think of Windows 7?

Zero Angel

Permanent Fixture
Dec 2, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Possibly 4w5
I'm using it, and I actually like it. Its fast and the new features are pretty neat and intuitive without being obtrusive. Its a fairly cohesive seeming OS, not mind blowing but a decent improvement over XP.

All it lacks for me is good multiple workspace management and compiz fusion (some features of linux I like).

Last edited:
I'm using it, and I actually like it. Its fast and the new features are pretty neat and intuitive without being obtrusive. Its a fairly cohesive seeming OS, not mind blowing but a decent improvement over XP.

All it lacks for me is good multiple workspace management and compiz fusion (some features of linux I like).

I think I'm kind of steamed about having Vista.

Besides the OSX bar ripoff, it is pretty much what Vista should have been. UAC is dialed down a bit, memory management is fixed. Some of my colleagues report printer driver issues, although that was in the Release Candidate so I am not sure if it continues in the final release, but overall a solid upgrade path for XP.

I have been using Win7 on my home theatre PC for over 5 months without any issues, including my printer, although I have to use a generic HP driver for an OKI Data printer. That computer is a quad core with 8GB of RAM.

Besides the OSX bar ripoff, it is pretty much what Vista should have been. UAC is dialed down a bit, memory management is fixed. Some of my colleagues report printer driver issues, although that was in the Release Candidate so I am not sure if it continues in the final release, but overall a solid upgrade path for XP.

I have been using Win7 on my home theatre PC for over 5 months without any issues, including my printer, although I have to use a generic HP driver for an OKI Data printer. That computer is a quad core with 8GB of RAM.

Play any online games?

A friend of mine reports windows 7 running on a laptop with 1GB of RAM, and it didnt crawl like Vista would (though I imagine it would really benefit from another gig or two). It looks like MS did do a pretty good job at optimizing it.

Last edited:
Play any online games?

Not really, I did some Fallout 3 and Civ 4, but neither online. Are you just curious, or are there reported TCP/IP issues with gaming?

Not really, I did some Fallout 3 and Civ 4, but neither online. Are you just curious, or are there reported TCP/IP issues with gaming?

Curious what you use the 8 gigs for.

For my netbook, windows 7 is a great improvement over XP. It's much faster, has better driver support, and simpler updates. The hype is justified.

Windows Seven classical operating system. No need to install extra drivers. Just installl and enjoy the OS

I like it, The install process was very fast and it has all the drivers needed. UAC could still be better( e.g. could be more like some linux sort of thing :)) I have not really had so much to complain about this OS.

This is what Vista should have been.

Windows Seven classical operating system. No need to install extra drivers. Just installl and enjoy the OS
What he said. I test drove RC1 for several months and wanted to scrap Vista right away. It behaved well even in a triple boot setup with Ubuntu, Vista, and Win7, using the windows bootloader.
A whole lot to like. Install and enjoy. Installed my official copy on Thursday, actually productive 3 hrs later after upgrade-all programs and data intact, all settings right down to the wallpaper I had used in Vista. A no hassle upgrade.

Probably

We have had:
Windows 3.10
Windows 3.11
Windows 94
Windows 95
Windows 97
Windows 2000
Windows ME
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7

Am I missing anything?

We have had:
Windows 3.10 <- Windows 3
Windows 3.11 <- Windows 3 with network support
Windows 94 <- that one was actually called NT4 or Windows 4
Windows 95 <- Windows 4 for home users
Windows 97 <- Windows 4 for home with service pack and it was officially called Windows 98
Windows 2000 <- Windows 5
Windows ME <- Windows 4 for home with SP2
Windows XP <- Windows 5.1
Windows Vista <- Windows 6
Windows 7 <- Windows 7 (though internal versioning shows 6.1)

Can you do this to it?

You can add video link to start menu and then point it to some 4 different places on your system - and they all show up in one there.

Windows 7 has a feature called 'collections' which allows you to specify all your music/video/documents folders (on different areas of your hard drive), and they will all be visible in the same windows explorer window (I believe you can even do this with external media). Its pretty tastefully done.

If that doesnt float your boat, you can always use Junction Link Magic (for WinXP and up) to create symbolic links, just like the kind linux has. On my XP install I symlink My Documents/My Music to E:/Music, just in case my XP install crashes, then at least I dont lose my media.

As to the start menu customizations, you can include 'Videos' into the start menu, but I dont know about the external drive.

Last edited:
If that doesnt float your boat, you can always use Junction Link Magic (for WinXP and up) to create symbolic links, just like the kind linux has. On my XP install I symlink My Documents/My Music to E:/Music, just in case my XP install crashes, then at least I dont lose my media.

vista upwards has this built in, altho it seams on only folders in the user dir

right click folder > properties > location tab

its handles network shares too, i got "my music" pointiing to \\server\music

Probably

We have had:
Windows 3.10
Windows 3.11
Windows 94
Windows 95
Windows 97
Windows 2000
Windows ME
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7

Am I missing anything?

I've never heard of Windows 94 or Windows 97, but you left out Windows 98 and Windows NT (and the NT incarnations).