What did knowing your type bring to your life? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What did knowing your type bring to your life?

I was relieved to find I wasn't some kind of freak.
It gave me an understanding as to why I always felt as if I were standing outside looking into a group even though I belonged to the group. Meaning friends, coworkers.
Why I was always being asked, "What's wrong?" "Why are you so quiet?"

Yeah, i felt guilty, and still do sometimes, about this. Being quiet was treated like a strange sickness when i was young (school and college), and when i did speak, people became annoyed. So, you were only as acceptable when you were fitting with the way everyone wanted you to be. That was great for self esteem. heh. I think what hurt most was inability of many to take the time to understand rather than condemn and reject.

So, it's great to be heard, even if not understood. I don't expect everyone to understand where i'm coming from, but it helps to know others have been through similar experiences. In some sense, you may not feel as alone as you once did. That's what i take away from the experience of being apart of a forum like this.

Last edited:
I immediately felt superior to almost everybody.

In some ways I feel constrained by knowing my personality type.
This is a good point. Not knowing my type through most of my adult life meant processing things as they came and with a eye towards finding a sense of inner truth. Now I think it helps me understand and tolerate the differences between me and others around me more than anything.