We're Not Psychic, We're Meteorologist | INFJ Forum

We're Not Psychic, We're Meteorologist

Discussion in 'Psychology and MBTI' started by AUM, Aug 27, 2009.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
More threads by AUM
  1. AUM

AUM The Romantic Scientist

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    We're Not Psychic, We're Meteorologist (Ni Ramblings)

Ok, I wanted to write this thread before going to class and forgetting to write about it later but I need some input about (Ni) because I've made these observations of why I think people would suppose that an INFJ or a person with Ni dominant may come off as psychic.

One of the reasons that I've noticed I do alot is predict outcomes. My mind is always predicting what will happen. In a situation that requires how things might come to pass I start to write a list of possible outcomes, sometimes I generate about 12 guesses about the same scenerio. For example this morning I asked my roomate if he had checked the mail and he said "I did, but nothig for you" in a mean way. He knew I was expecting something important so my mind immediately started doing this:

• He said that because he's still mad at me for getting a beer.
    • He doesn't want me to be happy today because his girlfriend dumped him
    • He knows that giving me the documents would mean that he did a favor to me and he doesn't want me to thank him for it.
    and the list goes on and on.

It turns out that he didn't give me the mail because he was pissed at the fact that his girlfriend dumped him and he didn't want anyone to be happy either.

You see! I was right!

Was I psychic? No, but I knew it had to be one of those options.

What else do you know about this function? I know there are lots and lots of things to do research about but I thought this might help to clarify me about somethings. I may be wrong, maybe this is not Ni and that's why I want someone elses input in the matter.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 AUM, Aug 27, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  2. Sithious

Sithious Well-known member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    you are psychic

/thread

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Orion

Orion Strength through understanding
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2
    Is it just me, or does Ni always assume the negative?

4. Nela

Nela Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    It does. And it's usually right, sadly enough.

5. Orion

Orion Strength through understanding
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2
    Not true. Ni makes it hell for us when we don't have definite answers. But it doesn't mean that everything will turn out bad. It's that process of thinking that gets us in bad situations in the first place, not what is actually happening.

6. Nela

Nela Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    I'd probably agree with you tomorrow. I don't like Ni very much right now.

But I think you have an interesting point there Last Dawn. It's probably because we can imagine all these possible meanings and scenario's that we're more likely to say "Hey, I knew it!" because you considered almost all of the possibilities in advance. Makes sense to me.

7. IndigoSensor

IndigoSensor Product Obtained
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2 sx/so/sp
    Ni can seem like it is psychic quite often simply because it fills holes out of nowhere. In addition, because I believe in psychic abillities and other metaphysical phenomona, I believe that it is common for primary Ni users to be psychic to a certain degree, which I believe is the case for you.

This also made me laugh because I have moments very much like the one that you described all the time! haha :)

8. OP
    AUM

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    We're Not Psychic, We're Meteorologist (Ni ramblings)

In my case it's not that I assume the negative, but I want to be prepared for those situations. For example, last week I was expecting a payment from somebody and for some strange reason I had a hunch that he was not going to pay me( There has been no reasons in the past for me to have mistrust him) but I couldn't do anything to prove that this was going to happen. So in my mind I made two scenerious: 1.) He's going to pay me. If that's the case I already know what I had to do with that money(bills, trip and other neccesities.2.) He's not going to pay me. If this happens I need to be prepared for it, so first thing I would do is to limit my spending so I have enough for the weekend until I can get a hold of him on monday. I need to tell my friends that I can't go to the trip because I don't have money to do so and also I need to call my creditors and tell them I'll be a little late paying them.

Luckily for me he did pay me, so I didn't have to worry about the latter.Basically this function(Ni) makes me very suspicious of everyone,which I think is one of the main drawbacks of using it alot.

#8 AUM, Aug 27, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  9. OP
    AUM

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    Continuing on my research about the Ni(Introverted Intuition)function I've learned that this is a very slow information processing function. Unlike Ne that constantly and quite rapidly process information from the external world into their psyche, Ni takes a while to adapt to the new information that is being presented, for this reason some Ni dominant individuals suffer from mental exhaustion when being taught material that requires extensive analyzing observation. I think this is why I hate any kind of science where the teacher is explaining detail to detail about some of the subjects presented in lecture. I feel like my head is getting ready to explode by all the information that they're giving to me. However, once I relax, and get into the material at a more comfortable pace I can understand the information more clearly.

To Be Continued...

10. Quinlan

Quinlan Right the First Time!

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISFP
    Ni + Gambling = $$$

?

11. WaeV

WaeV Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    -+/=
    Enneagram:
    Not me! I love it when (math / science) classes move quickly. I can look at the lesson on the board before the teacher even speaks and know what we're going to do and how we're going to do it. I usually don't listen to the teacher at all, and spend my class time programming my calculator to do the math for me. That has a double benefit - I really have to understand it in order to program it, and I can finish my quizzes lightning fast.

But yeah, my Ni comes through often when I'm programming. I often come up with new and bizarre ways of solving problems with maximum efficiency. I actually discovered the power rule of calculus when trying to program the difference quotient. :m159:

12. IndigoSensor

IndigoSensor Product Obtained
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2 sx/so/sp
    You would think so, but Ni doesn't really apply to gambling. It doesn't reliably work. Also, most Ni dominate people would find gambling too risky to begin with and wouldn't try it. Honestly, I would attribute gambling to Ne, and mabye Se.

midnightmelody likes this.
  13. Duty

Duty Permanent Fixture

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Enneagram:
    5w4
    Gambling requires:

Quickly calculating odds
    Concentration on the game
    Stone-face
    Analyzing conditionals (if he does this, then he most likely has this)

Seems Ti to me. :p

14. Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    I'm not sure, but I've always thought that "psychic" quality is too easily used to describe intuition. The belief is that if you can sense things without proof or evidence, then that makes you psychic. But there is a flaw in this reasoning. Your body and mind can unconsciously select and process large amounts of data without your awareness, so when we "know" things, it may be because we are picking up on information detected by the body, intuition, sensitivity, intelligence, ability, etc. within an environment over a period of time. So, it's not good to label heightened intuition "psychic."

#14 Gaze, Sep 10, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  15. midnightmelody

midnightmelody nagging for truth

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj

This is precisely why I did not make my Odyssey of the Mind team.

"You ended on a negative note..."

Oops.

I predict everything, as well.

16. Lucifer

Lucifer Registered User #666

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    See when I analyse people I usually stick to one option and assume I am right.

i ACTUALLY AM pretty good at reading people though.

You don't suppose that that is the difference between INFJs and the rest of the population when it comes to things like this?

Like they are able to see the same action from many directions.

17. Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    Yep.

18. OP
    AUM

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    I found this information quite useful towards understanding more about Ni:

http://www.contrarium.com.au/content.asp?pid=85767

This makes perfect sense to me. Ni's know exactly how things should be(at least to them)but they usually don't know how to explain them in concrete terms. I'm terrible at describing the details of my future of how such future should look like but I just know that that it's how it supposed to be. I may change the details in order for my statements to make sense but at the same time it's usually what I mean to say all along.

#18 AUM, Oct 18, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  19. Indie.J

Indie.J Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    infj
    I think the seemingly psychic phenomona in INFJs also has a lot to do with our feeling function as well. I do the same thing in terms of predicting outcomes but I'd say all those outcomes are heavily based on the feelings of those involved. By knowing how someone feels I'm then able to predict the outcome of how they'll react and how other's will react to them and then generate my thoughts on what I think will happen accordingly. A lot of people tend to disreguard the importance of the relation between a person's feelings and their actions or just don't pay attention to it, whereas an INFJ tends to live in a world where all those things are relevant and so they usually have practice in knowing the patterns between feeling, thought and action.