Voice personality | INFJ Forum

Voice personality

Lerxst

Jul 3, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Ever pick up a strong feeling just from hearing a person's voice? I don't mean dialects or accents either. It's also not just pitch or tone. Ever hear someone talk just once and get an immediate alarm ringing in your head, with warning flags being raised at every syllable they speak.

I find this happens to me more when dealing with the opposite sex (female) than with the same sex. Occasionally, like 1 out of every 500 people I talk to, one stands out like this. They might sound intelligent, pronounce all the words properly but there's just something that I can't place a finger on about their voice that almost provides a direct link to their personality... and not in a good way.

It also happens for the good. Occasionally, there's one person who stands out as just being an honestly friendly sort. I find those are harder to pinpoint accurately since many people try hard to "act nice" by sounding pleasant. But even with the people I mentioned above, when they sound nice it almost sounds creepy rather than pleasant.

Sometimes I meet someone and my "Danger Will Roger, Danger Will Roger" radar goes off. It's not really tied to their voice though. I usually figure there is something wrong with their spirit and my Ni is screaming at me to stay away. So yes, I understand what you are saying.

Other times when it is positive, it is like I have known the person all my life and trust them the first time I meet them. This has usually been with people who turn out to be lifelong, close friends. I figure we are just picking up where we left off at in a previous lifetime.

My voice doesn't sound at all like what I think it sounds like. When I hear it on my voicemail msg, it comes across much more boyish than I'd like.

I'm frequently confused for being female over the phone...

Wait a sec... that happens here too!!!

My voice doesn't sound at all like what I think it sounds like. When I hear it on my voicemail msg, it comes across much more boyish than I'd like.

My voice sounds more childish than I would like.

and to the OP. I get warning signals but not about people's voices. More about people in general like Sonyab says.

I have a very throaty, mumbly and unintentionally hostile tone.

I think last time I posted online a few people accused me of being a psychopath, others said hypnotic, and a few giggled at my overuse of the word 'wee'.

I imagine you'd get a bad impression from my voice...

I think last time I posted online a few people accused me of being a psychopath, others said hypnotic, and a few giggled at my overuse of the word 'wee'.

Probably more like wishful thinking on your part since you seem to be cultivating this "i am angst" kinda a feel. You seem very sweeeettttt <ahhhhhhh>

I don't attribute my "danger" alarm to physical characteristics but more of a warning that there is something "wrong" with this person.

Probably more like wishful thinking on your part since you seem to be cultivating this "i am angst" kinda a feel. You seem very sweeeettttt <ahhhhhhh>

So perhaps if we could all hear Melkor's voice it would evoke a feeling of, ''awww, pookiiiee!" or something like that?

Perhaps if you go die I'd dance in a skirt.

Perhaps if you go die I'd dance in a skirt.

Don't be upset Wyst, just remember all the posturing is just him hiding his inner teddy bear Pookie.

As someone who has spent years answering phones as a customer service rep, yeah I can hear a lot in someone's voice. There are people who sound like assholes, but really aren't, and then there's the people who do that fake nice voice thing and they're actually being really rude and sarcastic. I swear I can tell personality types sometimes too from voices.

Lol I don't know what it is, but a lot of male INTPs I've met sound just like that.

My voice really ranges and that's because it is highly dependent on the mood. When I am highly extroverted, I been accused of having a squeeky and hyper voice. Regularly, it tends to be quite low-tone and serious though. I never really pay much attention to my tone; however I feel my voice can represent my current mood yet not my core personality.

I have the voice of a boastful pirate queen.
Which also happens to be my personality.

Reactions: myself
Yeah, fear my logical scratchy tones!

I've been thinking of starting and audio blog, if enough people approve...

Maybe you'll get a laugh after all .

I bet Raccoonlove sounds like a chirpy little girl.:p

Reactions: jyrffw54
Grumbling, scratchiness, pitch, etc. can sometimes play a role. I tend to think of them as more like the white noise on a recording though. Sure, they're there, but you can still tell there's something underneath. It's more that, what's "underneath" that draws my attention in.

As I said, I hear it more with females than males. Sometimes on rare occasion, a woman will open her mouth and I immediately feel like sticking a cross in her face and spraying her with Holy Water. Whether she's whispering in my ear, talking in a normal voice or over the phone, everything about her voice just screams "bitch" and makes me want to run for cover!

My voice sounds kind of generic on a recording (worked Tech support for years... and those "This call will be monitored" recordings are just ammunition for management to use against the reps to play back each and every mistake over and over again to their face!!)

Reactions: AKM
Sometimes on rare occasion, a woman will open her mouth and I immediately feel like sticking a cross in her face and spraying her with Holy Water.

rofl this conjures up such a colorful image. i can just imagine the girl in the expensive red dress at some exquisite dinner party taking a bath from a vile of holy water after introducing herself. "Back i say! the power of christ compels you!"

but in all seriousness i know what you're sayin here, i used to work retail sales and called my share of ringlists. it can get so boring and repetitive you really become sensitive to the slightest inflections of a voice, or what voices sound better than others; anything to break up the monotony. unless someone had an overwhelmingly unique voice before, i rarely paid attention, its just one of those things that once you see you can't unsee.

Upon occasion this does happen to me.
I can almost hear the eagerness and malintent
that they have as the words come out of their
mouth. Likewise it happens more with the opposite
sex for me than it does with females. I'm not sure
if it's just because I have anxiety problems in regards
to men but I honestly think that sometimes when
I hear certain people talk that they're just a time-bomb.
Manipulating and waiting. I try not to talk to this people
on a regular basis let alone more than once.

As for my voice, it's pretty feminine. I have this really
girly laugh that I hate. My voice is also really soft. I
don't like hearing it.

Reactions: myself
I hate my own voice. I used to intentionally dial down the vocals when the band did recordings so no one else could hear my voice until after I mixed the final cut. I know it doesn't make sense seeing as how they had to hear my voice all the time...I just hate the way it sounds. It's much nicer inside my head.

I hate my own voice. I used to intentionally dial down the vocals when the band did recordings so no one else could hear my voice until after I mixed the final cut. I know it doesn't make sense seeing as how they had to hear my voice all the time...I just hate the way it sounds. It's much nicer inside my head.

Yeah, in my head I love my imagination voice so much more than my actual voice.
Sometimes I don't talk and I forget what I sound like.

As I said, I hear it more with females than males. Sometimes on rare occasion, a woman will open her mouth and I immediately feel like sticking a cross in her face and spraying her with Holy Water. Whether she's whispering in my ear, talking in a normal voice or over the phone, everything about her voice just screams "bitch" and makes me want to run for cover!

Americans!

(Oh, and this visualisation made me smirk, so well done.)

Anyone willing to post clips of themselves sounding terrible?

Or shall I?