View on tradition | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

View on tradition

I see nothing wrong with a traditional lifestyle. Not really for me, though.

Although I would request that you reconsider having two of your own kids, and maybe think about adoption...we have so many children in this world that don't have the parents they need, and population growth is becoming a problem....that's one aspect of the traditional lifestyle that makes me cringe inside, especially when people say the want more than 2 kids...

But yeah. I like the idea of a cosy little traditional household; I just don't think it really fits with me. I don't like the idea of a scheduled workweek (which doesn't mean anything, since I'll have to have one anyways), and a normal household would be too...normal. I need some excitement!

Of course it can be cozy and bring warmth but it should be handled correctly. If it is merely an attribute passed on and on naively without consideration then - no. Although if it is passed on, considered and chosen then - yes. ^^

We should all have some bonds that connect us to the past otherwise it is like erasing vital history.

I have this thing in my head, where my goal in life is to have the classic family: husband, two kids (boy&girl) and a dog. He goes to work, I go to work - I get home, cook dinner for the kids, he helps with their homework. :m176:

Wouldn't the classic family be you stay at home?

I don't know, there may be flaws with that dream, one thing being I can't really cook, secondly, I want a career in the medical feild - not so flexible those hours- also, I'm not so much into cookie-cutter homes, neither do I want to live on the prairie. It's not so realistic, but I can hope to get some form of that lifestyle. I just want a simple life, I guess. Though I'm nowhere close to being simple. I just want to be lazy, and have it easy.

:m149:
If you want to be lazy, why do you want to work in the medical field?

So...Anyways what do you think of tradition?

I think tradition is awesome and I like to do things the way they've always been done. In my idealist point of view I see things as have been put into motion for a reason and I like to take comfort in the fact that I am doing things the right way. Although this is a romanticized view I have and I probably don't do anything this way.

Wouldn't the classic family be you stay at home?

If you want to be lazy, why do you want to work in the medical field?

I think tradition is awesome and I like to do things the way they've always been done. In my idealist point of view I see things as have been put into motion for a reason and I like to take comfort in the fact that I am doing things the right way. Although this is a romanticized view I have and I probably don't do anything this way.

I wouldn't mind staying home, but then there's the feeling of being suffocated, or suffocating my children. I want them to grow, and have time for themselves too.

A job in the medical feild is just an option I'm considering. It doesn't mean I'll actually do it. I want to float around for awhile before I finalize anything. I love planning ahead, but I just want to take one step at a time.

*cringes* well, you go do that. :tongue1:

Tradition for traditions sake is pointless and counter productive imo however if it happens to fall in line with what you want, why not.

Couldn't help myself :D Not a very N view to follow without questioning 'why'.
I love that song, but I don't agree with what its saying (following traditions simply for sake of tradition). However, I love the show and what it says (questioning traditions, breaking the bad ones, and keeping the good).

I generally think it's the media that influences the way "families" are supposed to be. Remeber "Leave it to beaver" and "the brady bunch". You see this family that's somhow incredibly happy all the time and a little "too" normal. Real life generally isn't like that; we teach our kids it's supposed to be. But it's a rare.

I generally think it's the media that influences the way "families" are supposed to be. Remeber "Leave it to beaver" and "the brady bunch". You see this family that's somhow incredibly happy all the time and a little "too" normal. Real life generally isn't like that; we teach our kids it's supposed to be. But it's a rare.

Omg it just seems like this is my day of happiness or something. This totally confirms the irrationality of something that made me sad yesterday: I was thinking that my 'familly' was so not like the stereotype familly and therefore it failed and was a bad familly which had a bad impact on me.
Just look at the show, 7th Heaven. It almost makes me feel sick, call me cynical now but it is horrible.

The stereotypical family that looks so happy has everything they want has perfect kids perfect h ouse blah blah blah....9 times out of 10 they are the unhappiest people. Not happy in the marriage, the kids are suicidal...They are in debt over their heads and about to loose the house. I really wish we could all achieve that perfect level of happiness...but alas...Not all of us were cut out for it! My life is crazy My house is always messy and sometimes we eat fast food alot...well its just how we are...my daugher is happy, smart, healthy, and generally a good kid. My husband has an astoundingly great job, we have two cars and a crappy appartment but damn it were happy!

In my idealist point of view I see things as have been put into motion for a reason and I like to take comfort in the fact that I am doing things the right way. Although this is a romanticized view I have and I probably don't do anything this way.
That's not an idealist p.o.v.
For a time, the idea of marriage and kids to me seemed like hitting the 'default' button on life... but currently I think I would be fulfilled having a family. Then, I can indoctrinate mine and my husband's children with our views and raise them up to alleviate some of the suffering of their fellow kind. hehheh..

The American Dream traditional family is bullshit. Of course no one is really happy living that materialistic facade. Our souls crave so much more than wealth and recognition and popularity among our peers... but I won't go on a tangent here.

Last edited:
Tradition is okay, as long as you don't get mired in it. Some celebrations are fun, and some can bring fun memories. But overall tradition for the sake of tradition is b-o-r-i-n-g.

What I don't understand is, why do people feel like they *have* to have a turkey for Thanksgiving if no one wants to cook it? Why slave over a hot stove for the three-hour Sunday dinner if everyone wants pizza? And why not create new memories and cook creative meals?

But I guess if I had the two cats in the yard and the happy family and the 2.5 kids I might want some tradition. But I already know I'll have a very unusual household, if/when it happens. There might not be any room for tradition! :D

That's not an idealist p.o.v.

why not?

For a time, the idea of marriage and kids to me seemed like hitting the 'default' button on life... but currently I think I would be fulfilled having a family. Then, I can indoctrinate mine and my husband's children with our views and raise them up to alleviate some of the suffering of their fellow kind. hehheh..

Your so sneaky!

The American Dream traditional family is bullshit. Of course no one is really happy living that materialistic facade. Our souls crave so much more than wealth and recognition and popularity among our peers... but I won't go on a tangent here.
It's only bullshit because you think that American society perpetuates outrageous amounts of suffering. And of course you see the American dream as owning a coal mine and over charging the oppressed majority for electricity to keep yourself rich and ruin mother earth while you have affairs with your secretary. Meanwhile the wife is banging the pool boy and none of the kids belong to the husband.

In response to the bold: True, but people who are that way are not trying to fulfill thier souls, they are fulfilling their greedy desires and unhealthy need for approval.

Ok, Rogo
Maybe it's your ideal p.o.v but it's not idealistic.

I am sneaky.:llama:

And I think that Industrialization has had a hand in perpetuating the sucking out of souls by creating a consumer culture in our society that's sold on the values of 'tradition' and 'family' and what they look like.

Last edited:
Ok, Rogo
Maybe it's your ideal p.o.v but it's not idealistic.

Is there some sort of objective ideal, and where do i find its definition?

I am sneaky.:llama:

agreed

And I think that Industrialization has had a hand in perpetuating the sucking out of souls by creating a consumer culture in our society that's sold on the values of 'tradition' and 'family' and what they look like.
[/quote]

What should the values of tradition and family look like? I agree that industrialization has corrupted the "old ways". But I am open that there may be older ways that were corrupted before that, and that they might be key to understanding the correct way of tradition and family.

*cringes* well, you go do that. :tongue1:

:lol:

Tradition is okay, as long as you don't get mired in it. Some celebrations are fun, and some can bring fun memories. But overall tradition for the sake of tradition is b-o-r-i-n-g.

What I don't understand is, why do people feel like they *have* to have a turkey for Thanksgiving if no one wants to cook it? Why slave over a hot stove for the three-hour Sunday dinner if everyone wants pizza? And why not create new memories and cook creative meals?

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!

I've been thinking increasingly about the kind of life I want to live. Of all the things I can think of, I think work and money are the two that make me question how things will turn out. I work M-F 9-5 right now, and I love working in the public sector, but I think working 40 hours a week is far too much, and although the routine is wonderful (as opposed to shift work) - I wish it was more varied. I don't want to work shifts but I also don't want to spend so much of my life at work! I think there is far too much to enjoy in this world while we are alive to spend so much time working (that's a big indicator I will probably be changing my job in the future).

Last edited:
Once I am done college, I really hope I can get a job that works at night, instead of during the day. I am much more a night time person. Also I really like how my uncle has his job set up. He works 10 hours days monday-thursday, so he always gets a 3 day weekend. That would be perfect for me!

I love cornering traditionalist S's :D

Not in a mean way, though. More in a "hey, let's do something different and strange and make you slightly uncomfortable, but have you enjoy it way too much and feel a tingly sort of guilty pleasure because of it" sort of way.

I love cornering traditionalist S's :D

Not in a mean way, though. More in a "hey, let's do something different and strange and make you slightly uncomfortable, but have you enjoy it way too much and feel a tingly sort of guilty pleasure because of it" sort of way.

Try telling that to my dads side of the family, hahahaha. I do try to do that at family gatherings, which ends in my dad scolding me for being "rude" in his eyes. I just laugh now.

Is there some sort of objective ideal, and where do i find its definition?
I believe she's referring to MBTI Idealists (NFs), not some universal standard of what is ideal.