Variations of Metal Music | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Variations of Metal Music

Kalmah has been dubbed "swamp metal."

Awesome stuff.

[YOUTUBE]4jmj_ochRjk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]EBXQy1MAYlM&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Yeeeessss. A metal thread.

I've listened to a LOT of different metal subgenres, and a LOT of different bands, but I guess I'll have to narrow it down to three or so.

[YOUTUBE]W49mI_MktGw[/YOUTUBE]

The Project Hate MCMXCIX is one of my all-time favorite bands. Their songs are incredible, they're extremely varied and progressive, aggressive and beautiful. I absolutely LOVE the piano parts.

[YOUTUBE]xzaU81UTgxA[/YOUTUBE]

Benighted is a brutal death metal band with awesome riffs and crystal clear production. Every band member is skilled as hell, I like the vocalist the most.
Aaaahh, the riffing! *drool*

[YOUTUBE]BW9WUCJSK1E[/YOUTUBE]
First of all, I have to inform you that Devin Townsend is a genius. And no, it's not a matter of opinion, it's a fact. He's bipolar, this song was written when he was off his meds. Most people probably think it's just chaos, but it isn't. It's extreme frustration expressed in music, and it's bloody brilliant. My all-time favorite song. The thing with Devin is that you can FEEL his music. This is no exception. I can really relate to the lyrics, which makes it even better.
Controlled chaos. Genius. Gene Hoglan is a drum-legend.

It's MONSTROUS

EDIT:
Okay, I had to include this one as well. It's really melodic and beautiful. No grunting or screaming if that makes you feel any better. Just mid-deep growls and some clean vocals.
Love this one. Dan Swanö is the god of production (Devin Townsend being the Over-God)

[YOUTUBE]E4aJa87-wDA[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
One of the first metal bands I really started to listen to and enjoy.

[youtube]_OnAVgjNZow[/youtube]

Because I fail to see the Prince of Darkness.

[YOUTUBE]lboS7psz-qc[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]5SH2DNAB0Qo[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]v0t-xvbfX1c[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]8gPlvH_j_Mo[/YOUTUBE]

These songs rock.

[YOUTUBE]pJfJ439iGCU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]b4zv0qHeHVM[/YOUTUBE]

What? No Dimmu Borgir yet? ....and you call yourselves metal fans.

[YOUTUBE]eAmMcBQavKE[/YOUTUBE]

Now THIS is old school metal.

[YOUTUBE]yq1EKlTzEP4[/YOUTUBE]

Just Curious

I like just about every type of music, from Classical/Baroque, to Rock and from Gregorian Chant to Rap - but I find heavy metal difficult to listen to (It usually gives me the creeps).

What is it about heavy metal that people like? The melody, rythem, variations on a theme, poetry/lyrics....???

I think that I have just been approaching heavy metal the wrong way and that's why I can't appreciate it.

I hated metal when I first started listening to it, it seemed very silly and ridiculous even.

You just have to find a band or two that you connect with on some level. I started to appreciate it more when I learned more about band members and all the work they put into making their music. Also tuning into and appreciating specific aspects of the music makes it easier to listen to sometimes.

Now I find myself enjoying all sorts of music. Metal and otherwise.

What is it about heavy metal that people like? The melody, rythem, variations on a theme, poetry/lyrics....??

Ditto to what Wyote said. Some of it is an acquired taste. I just started out with mainstream metal, then I just started going deeper and found stuff I loved.

What? No Dimmu Borgir yet? ....and you call yourselves metal fans.

:mp:

I was getting around to it... I've been a little preoccupied...and I'm effin' hating youtube.

I've mainly been looking around for mainstream metal to help people get into it a little more, unfortunately, those videos are the ones Youtube has disabled.

And though, this isn't standard heavy metal, I can't find a damn pre September Sun TON video.

Last edited:
Gosh GOOD MUSIC PEOPLE! <3

With heavy metal, often you need to give it a few chances rather than one and trash it. At first when I was very young I took heavy metal for being develish, evil, and all of that haha. (TALK ABOUT BIASED) But then in my teens i ended up loving classic rock to then rock - hard rock, constantly looking for 'harder buzzes' that came with the music. So then I found heavy metal (and many other metal forms) and its one of my favourites :)

Another (calmer) Pantera song!
[youtube]_j-8tn4nmow[/youtube]

Last edited:
Awww someone already posted The Trooper my favorite Maiden song, but they didn't get Dance of Death!
[youtube]ItSD-ZNa8x0[/youtube]

Last edited:
OH LET's KEEP DOING MAIDEN <3

[youtube]3ZlDZPYzfm4&[/youtube]

Some other songs that I love by them:

Wasting love
Hallowed be thy name
Childhood's end
Look for the truth
Infinite dreams
Aces high
Powerslave

Last edited:
Is two months between posts a necro? This thread is too awesome...

I was watching Adult Swim earlier this morning, and a commercial for Metalocalypse came up with this song (which is not Dethklok):
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hpvkUJjlwbE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hpvkUJjlwbE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

...I think it was this song...a song from this album, at least..
great album...

I've been into glam metal ever since I discovered Ratt in 1986. Their video for Body Talk from the awesome Dancing Undercover album was prominently featured in the Eddie Murphy flick 'The Golden Child', also one of my favourite movies.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/akIY0aKYknY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/akIY0aKYknY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

I didn't really get into the scene until I was in my late teens though, when there wasn't really a scene to speak of, which made it ten times cooler, being underground. I was a passionate supporter of the glam subgenre during the years it was unloved. During the late 90s and early 00s, hair metal gigs were populated by between 5 and 20 die hard fans. It was great, cos you could get to know the bands and hang out with them, although it was hard for them, having gone from superstars to nobodies. Now they have a large fanbase again I'm glad for them, but my passion to support them has died somewhat because of it. There's quite a difference between being a supporter and being a follower.

I like just about every type of music, from Classical/Baroque, to Rock and from Gregorian Chant to Rap - but I find heavy metal difficult to listen to (It usually gives me the creeps).

What is it about heavy metal that people like? The melody, rythem, variations on a theme, poetry/lyrics....???

I think that I have just been approaching heavy metal the wrong way and that's why I can't appreciate it.

Eh, i used to be like you, and I kinda still am. Death metal and black metal just seems to have this vibe to me that I just can't...enjoy. With that being said, I like listening to power metal and Nu metal/rapcore

For clarification, Alexisonfire is hardcore, not metal.
The bands I do enjoy that are metal:

Death Metal
Death
Obituary

Progressive Metal
Protest the Hero

Alt Metal
It Dies Today
System of a Down
Adema
Godsmack
Puddle of Mudd