IndigoSensor

Product Obtained
Retired Staff
Nov 12, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2 sx/so/sp
I found this ted talk to be very informative and eye opening in many ways. Further, I feel this directly applies to enneagram type 1's. The drive, and "need to be right", is really, a hinderence, not a benefit. It's actually ok to be wrong, and it isn't so much that being wrong is painful. It's realising that your wrong, is painful.

Staying locked up in the "I must be right, because I know I am right" is really, the root of many of our problems. Without the willingness to let go of "I am right", to let go of the security of what it means to be right, is exactly what making being wrong, a bad thing at the end.

This can definitely apply to all other types as well, but I feel this is most signifigant and important to types ones.

http://www.ted.com/talks/kathryn_schulz_on_being_wrong.html

Thoughts? Discuss.

ummm ok, whatever. move along

Reactions: Saru Inc
I love the videos T.E.D. posts.

And I think they made really good points. We have to accept that sometimes we are wrong or we can never grow.

I know you are targeting type 1s, Indie but I had been thinking about this on my own and then your vid came along and fleshed out the ideas for me.

I especially liked how the speaker mentioned that there is no emotion associated with being wrong. Did the Buddhists get there first but by a different route? We only have a negative response when we become aware that we are wrong and perceive, correctly or not, a loss in our status as a result. It makes me think how important it is to become a master of emotions. Neither dismissing them or giving them too much prominence. Instead, using our emotions as a semaphore that calls us to pay attention to our perspective and attempt to understand the perspective of others.

It's a challenging task but I suspect a rewarding one if we can manage it. Could the result be a more peaceful world? I don't know. We are so attached to our perspectives. Even when we can "see" other perspectives we are pulled back to our comfort zone because acknowledging other perspectives means acknowledging complexity and that can be a daunting task. Even the most relaxed among us find that they need some rules in order to feel secure. More perspectives mean more exceptions to rules and an increase in the feeling of insecurity. At least, that's my Type 5 experience of it.

Good video. May seem simplistic to some but she really is tackling a fundamental issue.

Reactions: Gaze
I'm enneagram 5w4 with a high 6, but I usually test high on 1 also.

I absolutely hate making mistakes, yet they have always been the best learning experiences for me, once I got over myself and my embarrassment of being wrong.

I especially liked her roadrunner/coyote analogy. Feeling wrong does feel like being right, until you realize it.

Lots to ponder here.

I don't really know what enneagram type I am, pretty sure its not 1, 6 or 9 though. (Emphasis on the 1 and 9 though. :[] ) but when I was younger I kind of made a pact to always admit I was wrong, when I was wrong, so thus I could learn the most that I could learn. Unfortunately I've not really stayed true to this, because its not the emotional feelings of "man I was wrong." I understand that everyone is wrong all the time, it was more of the vulnerability that the person could then use on a different date, that I was struggling with. Admit you're wrong on a position of politics, 4 days later, while discussing Mitosis that same person may say "well, you were wrong before." I can't quite speak for other people, but that is the problem I have. Saying you're wrong and knowing you're wrong are both easy, but giving that trust of being right to another being? One of the hardest things one can do.

Btw I didn't click the link. I just wanted to give my opinion. :mlight:

Reactions: not sure
ummm ok, whatever. move along

I don't understand your post at all.
Why post this in the first place?

I generally have no problem admitting I am wrong as long as I realize
that I am in the wrong. Which seems to be the thing you're getting
at; sometimes we're wrong whether or not we want to admit it.

I am currently running into some issues with my coworker because he
tells me things and then forgets or just outright lies about telling me
these things. He told me to make forty salads, I was thinking
"wow, that's a lot of salad!", I was doing my salad thing when he comes
back and asks me why I am making so many, "because you told me."
His reply? "No I didn't."

Uhm excuse me, yes you did. And I will stick by this conviction until
the rest of eternity because I know he told me forty salads and he
just can't ever be wrong.

I really do not think I am wrong as he has told me things before and
then *poof* changes his mind and somehow makes it out to be me
"at fault".

If I am wrong, this is a great example for your thread Indy.

Reactions: Edith and aerosol
I haven't had a chance to watch the video, but I'd agree that it's good to be wrong for the benefit of personal growth. The shame/guilt associated with being wrong makes it a lasting experience in our memory, one that would easily be forgotten otherwise, and so it is something we tend not to forget.

For example, if you got up in front of a group of people describing something, and you are pointed out for being wrong, you're likely going to remember the correct answer after that. At the same time, being able to be embarrassed makes it easier to be okay with "being wrong," thus allowing even more room for growth.

It's like learning a language as a child. We become so apt at speaking because we practice and make so many mistakes. We learn from mistakes, and being caught up in always being right means you won't travel out of your comfort zone in exploring new ideas/topics/areas/what ever.

I don't understand your post at all.
Why post this in the first place?

because it was funny. this thread is ironic but that's okay, everyone has a right to voice their opinion.

Indy knows this applies to him.
Lol. He doesn't think he's superior
to this.

Reactions: IndigoSensor
Indy knows this applies to him.
Lol. He doesn't think he's superior
to this.

Not my point. See [MENTION=3501]Neuropedia[/MENTION]'s post for reference.

and that's all I'm going to say about it in this thread.

I don't think I'm a one either, but I do score quite high theer on that regard.

My step mom is like this all the time...kidn of like [MENTION=2926]Bird[/MENTION]'s example., but other way around.

-"Lauren, go do the dishes"
*does the dishes*
-"Lauren! Did I NOT tell you that you were supposed to vacuum, clean teh bathrooms and do the dishes!?"
*"No, you only told me to do the dishes"
-"Stop lying to get out of doing your chores!"
*"No, you are just trying to add to my chores. You never told me to vacuum."
-*mom gets angry and goes to wallow in her wrongness*

I absolutely HATE being wrong, but what I hate more is when others are wrong, know that they are wrong, and won't own up to it.
It's ok to be wrong.If you were always right, life would be dull.

[MENTION=3501]Neuropedia[/MENTION] [MENTION=3615]aerosol[/MENTION]

If you all have such problems with Indy, address him and
let him know.

I find it ironic that both of you posted your statements in
regards to Saru and Indy's relationship but what is Saru's
post about?

There's some more irony for you Aerosol.

If you all have such problems with Indy, address him and
let him know.

Indeed. Some of that famed passive aggression you mentioned earlier, eh?

Indeed. Some of that famed passive aggression you mentioned earlier, eh?

Ironically (oh more irony!) I almost mentioned that
yet again in this thread ^_^

Also, I care about the reps because I worked hard
for mine. I joined after the rep system change so
all 1000 or whatever points I had were earned the
regular hard way. I'm being selfish :p I know I didn't
respond to this in the right thread, btw.

Reactions: 88chaz88
I am a 3 but I alway score high on 1 as well, I can really relate to this. I hate being wrong, and I know it's something I need to work on detaching emotion from. unfortunately I couldn't seem to get audio in that video that was linked. but I'll comment further later if I can figure it out.

It looks more like a general pride problem than a type-related thing

Status
Not open for further replies.