Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
[h=1]Two monks self-immolate in Tibet: US broadcaster[/h]

[h=3]
photo_1338171435676-1-0.jpg
[/h]

Two Tibetan Buddhist monks have set themselves on fire in Lhasa, the US-based broadcaster Radio Free Asia said, in the first reported self-immolations in the capital of China's Tibet Autonomous Region.

The monks reportedly set themselves on fire on Sunday outside a Buddhist temple in Lhasa, which has been under heavy security since deadly riots broke out in 2008.

Radio Free Asia said the two were believed to be among a few Tibetan youths who gathered to protest against Chinese rule outside the renowned Jokhang temple, and that they appeared to have died in the blaze.

"The security forces arrived immediately and put out the fire and all the tourists in the area were cordoned off from the site," a witness told the broadcaster.

"Within 15 minutes, the area was cleaned and not a trace of the incident was left."
More than 30 people have set themselves on fire in China's Tibetan-inhabited regions since the start of March 2011 in protest at what they say is religious and cultural repression by the Chinese authorities.

Security authorities in Lhasa contacted by telephone refused to comment on the latest incident, the first to occur in the Tibetan regional capital.

"We are not clear about the situation yet. Wait until the media makes an announcement," said an official who declined to give his name.

A woman contacted by telephone at a Lhasa hotel also declined to speak about the incident.
"Something did happen here yesterday, but it's not convenient to say more," she said.
Internet searches for the Chinese name of the temple where the reported immolations occurred, Dazhaosi, were blocked in China on Monday.
http://news.yahoo.com/two-monks-self-immolate-tibet-us-broadcaster-015026095.html

I knew of Tibetan monks setting themselves on fire because of the recent conflict with China, but I didn't know it was continuing up to now.

@Ame what are your thoughts on this? What compelled you to share?

One could say that they were setting themselves on fire to create a visual representation of what hatred and domination and violence does to people. Or just making sacrifices of themselves towards this sentiment.

I was not aware of this practice, but I think of course it shows how drastic the lengths or measures those who fight for human and civil rights often pursue in order to get the message across to a government and the world something's not right. Using extreme measures to express the extent of epistemic violence on a culture, is harsh, but yet it seems we may not pay attention if someone doesn't go to these lengths to create awareness of social injustices, that it will be like the tree which falls in the woods but doesn't make a sound. Unfortunately, in this case, it seems that it takes a scream in anguish rather than someone simply making noise to make a sound large enough for everyone to hear and take notice.

Last edited:
I knew of this practice as well. This reminds me of how the Tunisian rebellion and the Arab Spring have both begun.

While I can't bring myself to approve of the method, I am deeply moved by the intention and the message they send; the way we live our lives matters more than our own lives do.

I've always admired Tibetan monks and their way of life.

Reactions: tfg345i4u5lw
I've always admired Tibetan monks and their way of life.

me too! I have visited Tibet in 2006. The people are wonderful: peaceful and mystic. But they live in a constant threat. They can be pulled from their beds in the middle of the night and disapear in a forced labor camp for the rest of their lifes just for owning a picture of the dalai lama!!!

I hate what China is doing to such a precious way of life. And the whole world knows and let itt be because China is so economicaly important! It is disgusting!

I knew of Tibetan monks setting themselves on fire because of the recent conflict with China, but I didn't know it was continuing up to now.

One could say that they were setting themselves on fire to create a visual representation of what hatred and domination and violence does to people. Or just making sacrifices of themselves towards this sentiment.

I always thought people set themselves on fire to express their state of extreme misery. It's like saying "I'm so miserable, I would rather burn to death than continue to live in these conditions". It's a cry for help, sacrificing themselves for the people they represent.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-immolation

Last edited:
Its a shame they go... hot under the collar? *snicker*

I see they...BURN with desire?

This issue always INFLAMES people...

I guess they dont have to worry about getting FIRED from their jobs on monday...

Looks like they got BURNED again?

These guys do nothing but BLOW SMOKE?

:D too soon?