The Buddhism thread | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

The Buddhism thread

Zen has suffered it's fair share of corruption. The oppression of the Burakumin in Japan was in no way thwarted by Zen an in many ways aided and abetted. There was very little dissent against the Imperialism of the Tojo era and quiet a lot of boostering.

I love the rambunctious stories and direct assaults on our sleeping attitude toward reality that Zen seems to offer.

As a Realist I expect a level of amorality in religion.

I practiced Buddhism for a long time. I found the meditation actually made my mind go in to over-drive rather than calming it. I started having anxiety attacks because I'd start thinking about life too hard, haha.

I found meditating in the car to be the most useful, but maybe that's because driving the car happened to be what was really clearing my head.

I'm trying out Taoism at the moment.

I practiced Buddhism for a long time. I found the meditation actually made my mind go in to over-drive rather than calming it. I started having anxiety attacks because I'd start thinking about life too hard, haha.

I found meditating in the car to be the most useful, but maybe that's because driving the car happened to be what was really clearing my head.

I'm trying out Taoism at the moment.

That's the reason everyone will tell you, you need a teacher. Mine, for the couple times I was able to actually see/meet with him, taught the "Big Mind" approach: http://bigmind.org/blog/the-middle-way

Without having some direction to the meditation though, or something to focus on, those scattered thoughts can become a scary place to get lost in!

That's the reason everyone will tell you, you need a teacher. Mine, for the couple times I was able to actually see/meet with him, taught the "Big Mind" approach: http://bigmind.org/blog/the-middle-way

Without having some direction to the meditation though, or something to focus on, those scattered thoughts can become a scary place to get lost in!

I know a member of that Sangha, at least I think I do. There cannot be that many sanghas in Utah, and I know that teacher I believe. They liked it a lot.

Last edited:
I think Zen is interesting in that there is some inappropriate activity, the dharma heir of my teacher was involved in some inappropriate conduct, but most Buddhists do not care. People are fallible, the Dharma is still valid, however.

Reactions: Lerxst
Ah, I met with teachers. Thing is I have terrible OCD in real life (not the OCD people claim they all have, the kind I need to regularly see a therapist for and sometimes have medicine for). We had a hard time working with the OCD.

I recommend this documentary. It’s very informative regarding Buddhism and it’s origins.

Also I love the soundtrack. Very relaxing.

Reactions: Stu and Wyote
I read a lot about Buddhism when I was younger. I was and still remain a fan, however, I prefer theravada over mahayan forms.

Reactions: Wyote