To Hold or not to Hold. | INFJ Forum

To Hold or not to Hold.

Free Mind

I'm a Dragon! Rawr!
Nov 16, 2010
MBTI
INFJinity
When you're in a relationship and walking next to each other somewhere public. Do you hold hands, or not hold hands? Give reasons for your answer. ^^

Why do some people hold hands, and some people don't?

Reactions: Blind Bandit
I don't know holding hands for very long can be uncomfortable. It can be very pleasant for short periods. I noticed that couples here don't often hold hands in public. In fact, there is often quite some distance between them.

Just like opening the door, I always do. I like having my significant other close to me and I like when she holds onto me or puts her hand in my back pockets. It's just a good feeling of having them close to you and touching them in public.

Someone better be dead if you want to give me public displays of affection and/or expect them in return. Uh, yea..serious on that one. I am very private and don't really care for PDA at all. I will/have allowed such behavior when it was important to someone I cared about but did not initiate the action. If I am wanting/needing some type of physical affection from someone, something is wrong or I am delusional.

If I am wanting/needing some type of physical affection from someone, something is wrong or I am delusional. Edit: In public that is.

Last edited:
If I'm with a close girlfriend, she'll usually lock arms with me as we are walking, because it creates an atmosphere of closeness.

With a boyfriend, we'll usually hold hands in the beginning, but as we grow closer, we change to locking pinkies because of a semi-conscious increase in security.

I am very private and don't really care for PDA at all. I will/have allowed such behavior when it was important to someone I cared about but did not initiate the action.

I can relate... I find it awkward. Whenever I see such things in public I feel like barfing, lol. I wouldn't mind a hug in public, but I would rather these "mushy" things happen behind closed doors. I don't want to be the person that makes everyone feel like saying "get a room" lol.

I always hold hands, because I enjoy it... and if people dont like it, I glare at them until they look away.

I always hold hands, because I enjoy it... and if people dont like it, I glare at them until they look away.

Yea, yea. Are you sure it isn't because you want to ensure your date doesn't run away? ;)
Edit: Or maybe you just like glaring [MENTION=1451]Billy[/MENTION]

Last edited:
I'm shy about PDA, but one of my love languages is touch...so I don't mind holding hands or brief touches (as long as the timing is right). Now, the whole suck-face thing? No. No, no, no. Never in public.

Yea, yea. Are you sure it isn't because you want to ensure your date doesn't run away? ;)
Edit: Or maybe you just like glaring @Billy

I am pretty confrontational at times... I cant help it :(

I am pretty confrontational at times... I cant help it :(

Should we call this one Understatement of the week? or Year? But that is the most adorable thing about you [MENTION=1451]Billy[/MENTION] Your lack of "BS"ery is so refreshing. Besides, I truly doubt you even try to "help it" ;)

When I'm with someone I'm close to, all strangers melt away. It's like they don't exist, cuz I don't care about them. It is like me and special person are in a bubble of our own and everyone else are just holograms.

Should we call this one Understatement of the week? or Year? But that is the most adorable thing about you @Billy Your lack of "BS"ery is so refreshing. Besides, I truly doubt you even try to "help it" ;)

Its not refreshing to everyone! lol. Most people choose to live in a delusion, I am no exception.

Reactions: Nixie
Its not refreshing to everyone! lol. Most people choose to live in a delusion, I am no exception.

Then perhaps we share the same delusional state! Except that whole public hand holding preference. Eww

Then perhaps we share the same delusional state! Except that whole public hand holding preference. Eww
tsssssk c'mon... the feeling of his and her sweaty palms congealing into gooey affectionate public display-y-ness is awesome.

tsssssk c'mon... the feeling of his and her sweaty palms congealing into gooey affectionate public display-y-ness is awesome.

crap, can't rep you on this *shudders* EWWWWWWW Sonya no like PDA!! I am just not certain that there is importance in "display-y-ness" and it would be against my grain. I can appreciate a spontaneous burst of affection in public but any kind of prolonged personal contact makes me skitterish--as is get away from me!

crap, can't rep you on this *shudders* EWWWWWWW Sonya no like PDA!! I am just not certain that there is importance in "display-y-ness" and it would be against my grain. I can appreciate a spontaneous burst of affection in public but any kind of prolonged personal contact makes me skitterish--as is get away from me!
I like how uncomfortable it makes people :) I made out with a girl I was seeing one time (my tattoo artist) for a good half hour on a crowded street, like really passionately it was great, I was grabbing her boobs and she had her hand down my pants and everyone was stopping and pointing and laughing and stuff, it was embarrassing and usually I hate being on the spot, but it really turned me on having all those people watching. mmmhmmm (Oh Neen, where are you now... seriously, I need to colour in a portion of my tattoo...)

I like how uncomfortable it makes people :) I made out with a girl I was seeing one time (my tattoo artist) for a good half hour on a crowded street, like really passionately it was great, I was grabbing her boobs and she had her hand down my pants and everyone was stopping and pointing and laughing and stuff, it was embarrassing and usually I hate being on the spot, but it really turned me on having all those people watching. mmmhmmm (Oh Neen, where are you now... seriously, I need to colour in a portion of my tattoo...)

LOL I think that is just your exhibisionist side there, you crazy sex fiend... ;)

Perhaps it's against the nature of my personality type, but I definitely do hold hands in public. My relationship with my SO is the only one in which I can deeply share myself, so expressing that is a great comfort and inspiration.

Don't get me wrong, before he came along I couldn't imagine engaging in all those cuddly couples' behaviors.

Too uncomfortable given sweaty palms and stride differences. I always find I have to take 1/2 steps to keep pace and then my arms are out of synch with my stride.