Tips for solving logic problems quickly? | INFJ Forum

Tips for solving logic problems quickly?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Detective Conan, Sep 10, 2010.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
More threads by Detective Conan
  1. Detective Conan

    Detective Conan Doesn't Cast Shadows

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2009
    Threads:
    31
    Messages:
    1,665
    Likes Received:
    184
    Trophy Points:
    210
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    2w1
    G'day, forum, it's been a while since I've posted anything here. I was wondering if anyone here had tips or tricks on how to quickly and correctly solve logic problems. I've got some methods that work (drawing out a table or diagram usually works) already, but they aren't all that quick and thus ineffective, if not crippling, for the short time frame of a standard test.

    If anyone has any ideas/advice/methods, I'd vastly appreciate it if you would kindly share them (as may others on the forum).

    Here's a quick example of a logic problem where the diagraming method would eat up too much time (at least in my experience).

     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Gaze

    Donor

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2009
    Threads:
    2,380
    Messages:
    28,269
    Featured Threads:
    93
    Likes Received:
    22,755
    Trophy Points:
    1,906
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    Hmm . . . not sure
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 Gaze, Sep 10, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  3. Nixie

    Nixie Resurrected

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2010
    Threads:
    84
    Messages:
    9,521
    Featured Threads:
    3
    Likes Received:
    3,599
    Trophy Points:
    976
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    Oregon
    MBTI:
    ENTP
    Don't play them? Are games really logical????
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Gaze likes this.
  4. Poetic Justice

    Donor

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2008
    Threads:
    70
    Messages:
    2,916
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    553
    Trophy Points:
    657
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Enneagram:
    5
    There doesn't seem to be an answer to this. There is no way the blind man could be sure.

    The only way to know is if you know the other two are wearing red hats.

    If both the sighted people are wearing red they would each see one red and one white leaving them unable to tell their own colour.

    If the blind man was the only one wearing red both sighted people would again see one red and one white.

    This means there are two ways the sighted people could not know their colours. One where the blind man i wearing red and one where he is wearing white.

    Tis a trick i tells ya
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. OP
    Detective Conan

    Detective Conan Doesn't Cast Shadows

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2009
    Threads:
    31
    Messages:
    1,665
    Likes Received:
    184
    Trophy Points:
    210
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    2w1
    Thanks, but none of the responses so far answered the question at hand. The logic problem was an example for the members who might not have known what a logic problem is (I already know the answer to the problem I used).

    THE ISSUE: Does anyone have any ideas/advice/methods for quickly and accurately solving logic problems?

    Thanks.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Poetic Justice

    Donor

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2008
    Threads:
    70
    Messages:
    2,916
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    553
    Trophy Points:
    657
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Enneagram:
    5
    No but please post more of these. That was fun

    Maybe we can come up with a system between us
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Siamese cat

    Siamese cat Madame Cat strikes again

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2010
    Threads:
    33
    Messages:
    2,043
    Likes Received:
    501
    Trophy Points:
    672
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    5w4
    If I'm not mistaking, and this could be since I haven't had a good night sleep in a while, the blind man is wearing a white hat.

    As for the question of the thread, I'd say that there are many different logic problems. I think that there is some sort of generalisation but it sure doesn't cover all possible problems. If you are dealing with the problem similar as one you've presented here, I'd say that the quickest way is to see what was the underline idea behind the problem. While reading this one should make a mental note of sorts "three white hats and only two red, there must be a good reason why they gave that". In my opinion the solutions is always in the question itself.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Siamese cat

    Siamese cat Madame Cat strikes again

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2010
    Threads:
    33
    Messages:
    2,043
    Likes Received:
    501
    Trophy Points:
    672
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    5w4
    Also for the presented problem you could go with truth tables, since you don't have to many combinations, but I didn't go that way. My idea was, if the first one wasn't sure what he had on his head, and the second one also, than that means that they were both seeing one white and one red hat, from which one could draw the conclusion that the hats on their heads were red, and that the hat on the blind man head was white. I don't see a flaw in my reasoning yet, but there is still time. :D
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. OP
    Detective Conan

    Detective Conan Doesn't Cast Shadows

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2009
    Threads:
    31
    Messages:
    1,665
    Likes Received:
    184
    Trophy Points:
    210
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    2w1
    Okay, sure, that sounds good. This next problem is called 100 Gold Coins, a bit harder than the hats problem. It goes...

    As a note to other members, if you'd like to participate in answering the logic problems, please refrain from using the Internet to find solutions, as I'm sure most of the ones I have on hand are common on the net.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Wyote likes this.
  10. Wyst

    Wyst Are you there?

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    Threads:
    57
    Messages:
    1,915
    Likes Received:
    228
    Trophy Points:
    622
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    Don't take this in a dismissive way but when stuff like this is posted - my knee jerk reaction is "Ugh, who cares".

    I've often wondered if this is common in other INFJs or if this is me just being lazy.

    Although, I agree with PJ. The two prisoners with eyesight were wearing ready hats.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Raccoon Love

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2009
    Threads:
    310
    Messages:
    5,413
    Likes Received:
    694
    Trophy Points:
    657
    Gender:
    Female
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    I find that a lot of NF's struggle with logic. To me, it just doesn't hold much value. My brain is programmed in a much more subjective and philosophical way. Logic really conflicts with that.
     
    Wyst likes this.
  12. Poetic Justice

    Donor

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2008
    Threads:
    70
    Messages:
    2,916
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    553
    Trophy Points:
    657
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Enneagram:
    5
    Sorry but no. I think you are assuming that both red hats have to be worn by someone. It doesn't state that
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. OP
    Detective Conan

    Detective Conan Doesn't Cast Shadows

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2009
    Threads:
    31
    Messages:
    1,665
    Likes Received:
    184
    Trophy Points:
    210
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    2w1
    In most cases, I agree that problems like these have the solutions in them, and perhaps (hindsight being as it is) the example problem I originally chose wasn't the best to use. More or less, I'm looking for quicker methods than drawing out the possibilities, writing out the rules in the problem, things that wouldn't allow one to, in most cases, complete a test in a short time frame with an abundance of these kinds of problems on them.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. Siamese cat

    Siamese cat Madame Cat strikes again

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2010
    Threads:
    33
    Messages:
    2,043
    Likes Received:
    501
    Trophy Points:
    672
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    5w4
    Yea but practice makes perfect, if you are familiar with the Ainstaine's intelligence test, the one with five houses, five men, five types of cigaretes, five pets and five beers, where in the end you are asked who owns a fish as a pet, if you practice that kind of problems on paper first after several of those you'll be ahead of the logic behind them so much that you can solve them in your head without thinking too much about them or even writing anything on paper.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Wyst

    Wyst Are you there?

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    Threads:
    57
    Messages:
    1,915
    Likes Received:
    228
    Trophy Points:
    622
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    [​IMG]

    Use your Ni, PJ. Trust your feeling!
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. Gaze

    Donor

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2009
    Threads:
    2,380
    Messages:
    28,269
    Featured Threads:
    93
    Likes Received:
    22,755
    Trophy Points:
    1,906
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    I've working on this and still can't find a solution to your question.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. OP
    Detective Conan

    Detective Conan Doesn't Cast Shadows

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2009
    Threads:
    31
    Messages:
    1,665
    Likes Received:
    184
    Trophy Points:
    210
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    2w1
    I have that same reaction, Wyst. However, I'm stuck in an obligatory bind to work out problems like these for another few months, hence why I'm looking for some advice/methods early on to prevent a strained knee :).

    As RL said, it might be a common trend for INFJs to struggle with these sort of problems in one way or another.

    Here I was hoping it was just me, not an NF-wide issue (I'm still hoping it's not, otherwise I don't suspect I'll get a lot of valuable feedback here). I'm already getting a headache trying to solve/justify the second problem I posted here on the thread x_x
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. Poetic Justice

    Donor

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2008
    Threads:
    70
    Messages:
    2,916
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    553
    Trophy Points:
    657
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Enneagram:
    5
    100 gold coins:

    34
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. OP
    Detective Conan

    Detective Conan Doesn't Cast Shadows

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2009
    Threads:
    31
    Messages:
    1,665
    Likes Received:
    184
    Trophy Points:
    210
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    2w1
    What makes you say 34, PJ? I got a completely different answer from yours, 98.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. Poetic Justice

    Donor

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2008
    Threads:
    70
    Messages:
    2,916
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    553
    Trophy Points:
    657
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Enneagram:
    5
    Either 34 or 48
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Loading...

Share This Page