^_^
Retired Staff
Mar 9, 2009
Gridania
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Given the four letters, would you not agree that each preference of the INFJ is the relatively more anxious preference?

I over E- This is a no-brainer. Of course anxious people will be drained by contact with others more than not. Relationships with other people are generally the source of anxiety.

N over S- This dichotomy is already questionable given that the vast majority of people type as S types while supposedly only about 20% are N types. Stress does activate intuition, although I don't remember how the process works specifically.

F over T- Some INTJs are incredibly anxious, but their Te-Fi 2nd and 3rd combined do give them some serenity- even if human interactions seem illogical and obnoxious to them. Maybe I am wrong about this- it is possible INTJs are more anxious than INFJs, but it would seem that having a higher tolerance for being disliked would make you less anxious.

and of course J over P- in that J preference is toward planning.

In general, with the exception of maybe T versus F (I am not sure), all the letter preferences of the INFJ are more energy intenseive than the alternatives.

Do you agree that INFJs are an anxious type? What about the most anxious? Anyone want to make a case for the INTJs or any other type? Or is it just that other types experience their anxiety in different ways?

To me it seems like INFJs are the most anxious type, and to assume that other types are just different is really superficial. I would need evidence that carefree P types, especially ExxP types, are in general just as or more anxious than INFJs. Maybe it differs by gender? I don't know.

I can get very anxious, so add me to a tally or something...

I would think INFJ's are probably the most likely type to get anxious, but I am not saying anything for sure.

Um... maybe but infp, isfp or isfj would get anxious too for a lot of these reasons.

Anxiety is a function of one's nervous system and adrenal glands, not personality type. Some people are wired for anxiety and a few, like my INTJ son, are pathologically relaxed.

Anxiety is a function of one's nervous system and adrenal glands, not personality type. Some people are wired for anxiety and a few, like my INTJ son, are pathologically relaxed.

What are the causes of the adrenal glands overproducing hormones that make you over anxious? Stress? Other factors? Are some types more likely to be stressed or have the other factors that can cause anxiety? Put that Ne to work and break out of the box.

I become anxious before work almost everyday, even though I know have nothing to worry about... the people at my job have shown nothing but love toward me. And I used to become physically ill before my piano class in middle school, even when I knew that the chances of me playing in front of anyone that day were almost nonexistent. :/ So yeah, I'd say I'm a pretty anxious person. My friends all think I'm ridiculous when I worry about things they don't even think twice about... Dx I think I've gotten better in recent years.

My INFJ friend is also prone to being anxious. Sometimes she'll tease me about my irrational worrying, then turn around and vent to me about very similar issues. So with my limited experience, I can certainly see where INFJs have a tendency to be anxious people...

Extroverts because they are more aware of/involved with their surroundings, which add stressors
Sensors 'cause they get really hung on details, while being unable to see the big picture. Plus they don't get to trust their gut instinct
Thinkers because they're always trying to find the most efficient way of doing things. There can never accept that they made the best choice. Plus feelers have better emotional support 'cause they can open up to people emotionally
Percievers because we live in a society governed by rules and deadlines. They're perpetually unable to fulfill they're personality because they live in a society in which they could not survive with out planning.

I came out with ESTP

Yes. INFJ's are the highest anxiety type once we get going. It takes more to get an INFJ riled up but once there, our stress level can snowball.

Today I found that I'd eaten an entire apple while having a conversation on the phone regarding my convention.

The whole thing. I didn't even realize it.

Seeds, stem, everything.

Reactions: Neuropedia
Extroverts because they are more aware of/involved with their surroundings, which add stressors
Sensors 'cause they get really hung on details, while being unable to see the big picture. Plus they don't get to trust their gut instinct
Thinkers because they're always trying to find the most efficient way of doing things. There can never accept that they made the best choice. Plus feelers have better emotional support 'cause they can open up to people emotionally
Percievers because we live in a society governed by rules and deadlines. They're perpetually unable to fulfill they're personality because they live in a society in which they could not survive with out planning.

I came out with ESTP

I don't really find anxiety to be type specific. It's what we are anxious about that can vary with type.

Given the four letters, would you not agree that each preference of the INFJ is the relatively more anxious preference?

Definitely. I have been doing research into depression, anxiety and moodiness over the last few days for a project and have been thinking about this a lot.

Just like you said, it really is the combo of I, N, F and J that disposes us to low threshold to anxiety, moodiness and the resulting depression. It's part of the reason why many INFJs are fucked up or socially maladjusted because those inherent preferences are exacerbated by growing up in an environment that doesn't appreciate or shuns our natural way of being. Just like how low self esteem develops, the same is true for anxiety.

All intuitives are strongly predisposed to anxiety, in my opinion. That's just the way it is.

All introverts are predisposed to anxiety as opposed to extroverts because of the nature of the dominant introverted process.

I have diagnosed GAD (generalized anxiety disorder), so I fit the pattern with this. I would think that INFJ's would have the highest general likelyhood of being an anxious individual. They purposefully put themselves under stress.

I am anxious all the time. Every. little. effin. thing. WILL. set. it. off.

But I'm an INFJ gone absolutely mental. So that might have something to do with it.

I used to not even recognize the anxiety. I used to think such feelings were "normal" and that everyone has this level of anxiety. I thought anxiety meant breaking down and crying about twice per day.

I have an ESTP friend who is the opposite of me. I asked him how often he believes people are generally happy and content. "About 75% of the time" he said.
I guess that's not true. I guess that's just how happy an ESTP generally would be? I am happy about 30% of the time.

I feel like I'm missing out.

I would think that INFJ's would have the highest general likelyhood of being an anxious individual. They purposefully put themselves under stress.

I agree with this.

I'm not an overly anxious individual, but sometimes if I'm in some kind of mood or something I just get really very anxious to the point where I can't function. It can be highly annoying, especially if I suddenly get afraid when I have to walk home at 2am...I'll either run home or curl up in a corner for a while till I feel that I can walk.

Anxiety???
Yes, in past more. Finding out my type and pattern of functions actually helped me to become more calmer. Now, in stressed situation I usually start to anylze my processes in my head. "Oh, don't, that is just you fe going wild..." or "No, no, it won't end that bad, your Ni just playing bad guy..."...

I personally think all types can be anxious, only for different ways, reasons, and within different situation ([MENTION=3671]ultrauber[/MENTION] give a good example.)

Within that context, INFJ is indeed one of the most capable of getting anxious type compared to others. The J is focused internally (or cognitive-wise, Ni all around), and they lack the T required to think objectively. While N means they're looking in a very wide scope.

But I think a lot of other types can be anxious, even more capable of getting anxious. IxFPs in oppressive environments, for instance. Or INTx in highly social environments.

It goes without saying that all people have anxiety.

The J is focused internally (or cognitive-wise, Ni all around), and they lack the T required to think objectively. While N means they're looking in a very wide scope.

No the J is focussed externally... The constant focus on the way things should be, intuitively (Je) is what attributes strongly to anxiety for INFJs.

Everyone needs to pay attention to this post.

No the J is focussed externally... The constant focus on the way things should be, intuitively (Je) is what attributes strongly to anxiety for INFJs.
Ah, what I'm meaning is the direction the anxiety goes; getting inputs from outside (I think Je is related to Fe?) to inside (Ni ?)

But then again, I might be wrong. :)