The Highly Sensitive Person Quiz | Page 7 | INFJ Forum

The Highly Sensitive Person Quiz

Score of 20.

More like the asshole test, but the euphemism of "sensitive" is so humorous.

I have read the book and I am pretty sure I am HSP. Very sensitive to stimuli and most of the time it feels like my mind can't filter anything, I see and hear everything at once and that get's to much to bear for anything other then a short while. I also find it really hard to hear and separate specific people talking to me in a crowd, which really sucks when you are in a restaurant or club.

Are you serious? I sometimes feint such just to divulge information. This might help though: http://www.ted.com/talks/daphne_bavelier_your_brain_on_video_games.html

Don't remember if I took this.

I scored 25. A bit sensitive, yes.....always have been.

23. I think a lot of it has to do with depression/anxiety as well

I got 21 :m130:

I got 22 and I've known I was an HSP since high school (I'm 28 now). My therapist gave me the book when I was 16 and everything finally made sense! :)

there is no such a thing as a "highly sensitive person". This is a "diagnosis" invented for emotional and sensible people, who just don't want to grow up and let their feelings of self-pity away.
What a cool name..."highly sensitive person"...how can you take that seriously? It sounds stupid and a psychological "invention".

there is no such a thing as a "highly sensitive person". This is a "diagnosis" invented for emotional and sensible people, who just don't want to grow up and let their feelings of self-pity away.
What a cool name..."highly sensitive person"...how can you take that seriously? It sounds stupid and a psychological "invention".

Honestly, LucyJr, in my personal opinion you are immature. It is a hallmark of being immature to think that you know more than everybody else. I don't like to be harsh with people but you keep making really judgemental comments based on your own subjective views.

I don't always agree with labelling and throwing everybody into groups but these ideas don't usually come out of thin air and can help people to understand why they are different from other people they know. I am the last person that anybody would call 'immature' in real life (I have no idea how I appear online but I don't think it's a realistic view of people). I don't go around telling people I'm a Highly Sensitive Person, but I am. When I read about the concept it gave me an idea why perhaps loud booming music makes me feel like I'm going to go insane if I don't get away from it and yet I have people in my life who love it and are energized by it. They never understood why I couldn't handle it for long (I tried but it was torture) but when I explained this concept they understood that people are wired differently and that's ok.

I don't think it's helpful at all to insult people because they embrace ideas that you don't, and the fact that your throw out the word 'immature' so much, particularly since you are quite young yourself is an indication that you don't really know what true maturity is. Let me throw something under the bus myself. When young people say they have an 'old soul' and they are more mature than others then they probably are more mature than others their age but true learning and maturity only comes after a lifetime of living.

Honestly, LucyJr, in my personal opinion you are immature. It is a hallmark of being immature to think that you know more than everybody else. I don't like to be harsh with people but you keep making really judgemental comments based on your own subjective views.

I don't always agree with labelling and throwing everybody into groups but these ideas don't usually come out of thin air and can help people to understand why they are different from other people they know. I am the last person that anybody would call 'immature' in real life (I have no idea how I appear online but I don't think it's a realistic view of people). I don't go around telling people I'm a Highly Sensitive Person, but I am. When I read about the concept it gave me an idea why perhaps loud booming music makes me feel like I'm going to go insane if I don't get away from it and yet I have people in my life who love it and are energized by it. They never understood why I couldn't handle it for long (I tried but it was torture) but when I explained this concept they understood that people are wired differently and that's ok.

I don't think it's helpful at all to insult people because they embrace ideas that you don't, and the fact that your throw out the word 'immature' so much, particularly since you are quite young yourself is an indication that you don't really know what true maturity is. Let me throw something under the bus myself. When young people say they have an 'old soul' and they are more mature than others then they probably are more mature than others their age but true learning and maturity only comes after a lifetime of living.
gez>
Well maybe I am immature, but that doesn't make "the highly sensitive person" a real person, with a real psychological disposition.
Can you comprehend this with all your supposed maturity? Me being immature...does not follow "highly sensitive person" being real.
Get it now?
Or I'll just have to put it in another way.

I'm such a bad person, I've just said the highly sensitive person is a myth, in the midst of alot of highly sensitive persons, and that means I am a bad person bahahahaha *cries*. I get thumbs down because i am a bad person, and I deserve it, and I know it! bhaahha *cries*

I'm such a bad person, I've just said the highly sensitive person is a myth, in the midst of alot of highly sensitive persons, and that means I am a bad person bahahahaha *cries*. I get thumbs down because i am a bad person, and I deserve it, and I know it! bhaahha *cries*

You don't get it. I don't think you're a bad person but I think that you throwing around the word 'immature' for people who have different opinions than you is very ironic.

Some people being more sensitive to exterior stimuli is a fact and is in no way a reflection of immaturity. When you live with it you learn about it and about yourself and you learn coping mechanisms to deal with situations that make you uncomfortable so you can handle it better but it doesn't go away.

Dear Highly Sensitive Person (HSP)

…or anyone raising a highly sensitive child (HSC),

Welcome. I’m Elaine Aron. I began researching high sensitivity in 1991 and continue to do research on it now, also calling it Sensory-Processing Sensitivity (SPS, the trait’s scientific term). I never planned to write any self-help books, but those who have this trait seem to gain a great deal from knowing about it. You can find my books here.

If you find you are highly sensitive, or your child is, I’d like you to know the following:

Your trait is normal. It is found in 15 to 20% of the population–too many to be a disorder, but not enough to be well understood by the majority of those around you.

It is innate. In fact, biologists have found it in over 100 species (and probably there are many more) from fruit flies, birds, and fish to dogs, cats, horses, and primates. This trait reflects a certain type of survival strategy, being observant before acting. The brains of highly sensitive persons (HSPs) actually work a little differently than others’. To learn more about this, see Research.

You are more aware than others of subtleties. This is mainly because your brain processes information and reflects on it more deeply. So even if you wear glasses, for example, you see more than others by noticing more.
You are also more easily overwhelmed. If you notice everything, you are naturally going to be overstimulated when things are too intense, complex, chaotic, or novel for a long time.

This trait is not a new discovery, but it has been misunderstood. Because HSPs prefer to look before entering new situations, they are often called “shy.” But shyness is learned, not innate. In fact, 30% of HSPs are extraverts, although the trait is often mislabeled as introversion. It has also been called inhibitedness, fearfulness, or neuroticism. Some HSPs behave in these ways, but it is not innate to do so and not the basic trait.

Sensitivity is valued differently in different cultures. In cultures where it is not valued, HSPs tend to have low self-esteem. They are told “don’t be so sensitive” so that they feel abnormal.

You don't get it. I don't think you're a bad person but I think that you throwing around the word 'immature' for people who have different opinions than you is very ironic.

Some people being more sensitive to exterior stimuli is a fact and is in no way a reflection of immaturity. When you live with it you learn about it and about yourself and you learn coping mechanisms to deal with situations that make you uncomfortable so you can handle it better but it doesn't go away.
I think you don't get it.

The woman who is responsible for the "highly sensitive person" shit... I just love how she uses the word "science" in her "studies".

The woman who is responsible for the "highly sensitive person" shit... I just love how she uses the word "science" in her "studies".

Scientific studies have shown over and over again in the last few decades that people's brains work differently. I personally don't care if something is proven or not if the concept can help people feel better and cope better. There are a lot of things that I believe that aren't proven scientifically, such as the presence of a Higher Power, which helps me cope better. It helps tremendously to know that you are not 'imagining' things and that you are actually feeling them because your brain is wired to prefer calmer environments. My husband who is an ESTP thrives on chaos and is bored if things are too calm. I'm the opposite. It's about honouring and accepting differences and not treating others like they are inferior because they don't match to what you think is 'normal', 'acceptable', or 'mature'.

Sensitive people may use their brains differently

Apr 08, 2010 by Lin Edwards report

Sensitive people may use their brains differently
(
PhysOrg.com) -- An exploratory study has examined highly sensitive people and found the first evidence of neural differences between them and less sensitive people. Most studies have focused on the social implications of these traits, but the new study concentrates on the differences in how people's brains respond to stimuli.
Approximately one in five people are born with Sensory Perception Sensitivity (SPS), a personality trait that can lead to people being highly sensitive, and sometimes inhibited, introverted, shy, or even neurotic. Children with SPS may seem to be slow to adjust to situations, or may cry easily, have unusually deep thoughts, or may ask odd questions. Until now, there has been little study of how the brain's responses may be different in highly sensitive people.
The study first examined the responses of 16 subjects who each completed the "highly sensitive person"ť questionnaire, which is used as a standard measure of SPS, to determine their level of sensitivity. The researchers then asked the subjects to compare two photographs of the same scene and to spot any differences, at the same time as their brains were being scanned by functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI).
The results showed that subjects with higher SPS (the more sensitive people) had greater activation in areas of the brain concerned with high-order visual processing, including the bilateral temporal, medial, and posterior parietal regions, right claustrum, and left occipitotemporal regions, as well as the right cerebellum. Those with SPS spent longer looking at the photographs and paid more attention to detail.
The researchers were from Stony Brook University in New York, and from the Chinese Academy of Sciences and Southwest University in China. They found people with SPS took longer to make decisions, needed more time alone to think, were more conscientious, and became more bored with small talk than other people.
Previous studies have shown that people with SPS are also more affected by caffeine, are more easily startled, and are more uncomfortable with noise and crowded situations. The researchers said these effects could be due to an innate preference for paying more attention to experiences.
Over 100 other species are known to have individuals with the sensitivity trait, including dogs, fish, primates, and even fruit flies. Individuals exhibiting the sensitive trait are always in the minority, but they may give the species an evolutionary advantage at times, since highly sensitive individuals tend to explore with their brains first, while others rush in, and this can be advantageous when a more thoughtful approach is better or less dangerous.
The paper was published in the journal Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience in March.

Just shut up.

You have an interesting darkside to you. I think Satan is closer to you than you think.

I knew I am a bad person :(
And now INFJ brotherhood of justice will kill me like a bug.
I didn't knew the highly sensitive persons have a sense of justice. Poor me!

Just shut up.

you little idiot. Who are you to shut up?
You are not a INFJ, you are not "special", you are nobody. So don't tell me to shut up !

It's a diagnosis for people who don't want to grow up? That's strange, since I find myself to be a very highly sensitive person (out of the 27 questions, I easily checked off 26 of them) and I am consider extremely grown up and mature by everyone who knows me. I have learned to work with my sensitivity so that it isn't visible to the outside world, but it is most definitely present in my inside world. Even when I was young and I didn't yet learn how to keep it out of sight, I still was very mature and very grown up.

You obviously do not fully understand it, therefore, you should refrain from making statements like this. It makes you look stupid and immature. And by saying this, I'm not trying to insult you (I know how sensitive you are and how upset you get when you think someone is being mean to you-clear example is your recent post to [MENTION=731]the[/MENTION]). I'm just making a point.