The Highly Sensitive Person Quiz | Page 9 | INFJ Forum

The Highly Sensitive Person Quiz

Reactions: Jet
I got 26, but I knew I was a HSP. I'm an empath too, and INFJ, and ADD and ADHD, and I always wonder if any of them are connected, or if being one makes you more inclined to be the others. All I know is it can be crazy to filter sometimes, and nobody gets it, and it's weird. You feel for everybody and you feel like you know almost everything because of all the input you receive and your inference skills, but you feel like nobody ever knows you. It's lonely.

21. As an added complication, there's something about the auditory processing center in my brain that can't handle multiple people talking at once. If I'm at a party with more than five or six people, and cannot figure out half of what the person across from me is saying. Add to that the annoyance with loud laughing and so on. Arg. But, I can listen to a band and pick out what each instrument is doing! Maybe it's just language comprehension?

I have that auditory processing issue too, although with mine my attention bounces from every voice to where I can't focus on enough of a single voice to understand one concept. There are also certain frequencies that scramble my brain where I can't concentrate on anything at all. I used to work in a office where one of the managers from across the street would come visit about once a week or so, and the pitch of his voice made it impossible for me to function. The scanner beep at the checkout counter does it to me too. Even if I'm home and talking to someone on a cell phone and they are close enough to a check stand where I can hear it in the background, it scrambles my brain. I hate that because it creates an event horizon every time I enter a store where I totally can't focus on where I am or what I'm doing there.

I did the self test in the book "Highly Sensitive Person" Elaine N. Aron.
23 is the total score in that test. I associated with 20 of them.

I am an Empath too, or at least identify with that definition.

A lot of the HSP characteristics I think are quite similar to the reactions that empaths would have. For example a reaction to over-stimulation. Sometimes it's difficult to separate and understand the two. But are these actually separate terms describing separate things? For the empath, at least in the definition and understanding of the term, there is not an attempt to classify sensitivity in terms of biology or biological differences. But a sense that empaths feel their emotions and others more keenly. But could one not be the effect of the other, inter-related. (Sorry thinking aloud here). I suppose not in all people or cases. People seem to sometimes only identify with one of these.

The person mainly behind the HSP movement, Elaine N. Aron makes a point, though, of making a clear distinction between the terms and usages of 'HSP' and 'Empath'. She's very clear that these are separate, different things, Mainly because, I think, she wants HSP to be accepted as a medical, (accepted) definition. She explains that in HSP 'high sensitivity' is due to physiological differences in the wiring of the nervous system, and how this can become over-loaded in the HSP as a result of stimulation, mainly through the senses.

However, I think if you have the two then it's difficult to differentiate the two- because there can be an overlap in behaviours / effects. I suppose if there is a difference you could think about looking to the cause, is it 'biological' as in 'HSP' as she is saying, as in say biological over-load - or due to the effects of empathy.

To be honest I'm still confused and not sure if the definitions will change over time, or be better understood and incorporated in common usage. My GP looked at me blank faced when I mentioned HSP. I get the sense that these phrases can be thought of as over used and a bit of psycho-babble, which maybe deflects from some of the usefulness of the information they contain. Sorry this post is not that well put across.

Last edited:

So I.guess I'm lower highly sensitive?

Reactions: hush and Free

So I.guess I'm lower highly sensitive?
From the results section:

If you answered more than fourteen of the questions as true of yourself, you are probably highly sensitive.

So based on that, Jet, yes you are highly sensitive. :wink:

Reactions: hush and CosmicINFJ

From the results section:

If you answered more than fourteen of the questions as true of yourself, you are probably highly sensitive.

So based on that, Jet, yes you are highly sensitive. :wink:
But what does being highly sensitive mean?

But what does being highly sensitive mean?
You're sensitive to outer stimuli. Things within your environment can affect you physically and emotionally. This can be anything from a quiet and calm nature scene, to a loud house party, to a deep conversation with a friend. Certain things either evoke a physical and/or emotional reaction within you.

You're sensitive to outer stimuli. Things within your environment can affect you physically and emotionally. This can be anything from a quiet and calm nature scene, to a loud house party, to a deep conversation with a friend. Certain things either evoke a physical and/or emotional reaction within you.
Ahhh. Yeah my therapist told me I had mild sensory issues...but I do exhibit emotional extremes when I feel things. It's a very odd mix for my type I think lol.

I realized I never posted my results, though I took this test months ago. My observations must have distracted me (over 90% of INFJs [at that point in the thread 49 out of 54] who took the test scored as HSP, whereas the statistics for the general pop. range between 15-20%).

I got 23.5 :\

Urgh.

Eugh... from back in 2012... maybe I'll take it again. :[