The Difficulty of Being a Straight Male INFJ... and having to hide it from society | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

The Difficulty of Being a Straight Male INFJ... and having to hide it from society

It can be difficult, but try to use it to your advantage. We INFJs have a slightly unique view of the world that other people tend to be attracted to when channeled in the proper format. Try to not express yourself in a strongly emotional way at first, but rather share your outlook in lighthearted ways like jokes and whatnot; bitches love humor.

The hardest part definitely is not getting too attached at first, which I probably can't objectively commentate on, but my thought process goes something like if this doesn't work out, I'll find someone else before too long because that always happens.

I have been through something similar in my younger days but must admit to following a strong sense of knowing when a relationship was over, so that kept me balanced. Now I see it as I am able to give a whole lot of perfectly timed love which reflects back to myself when the other person can't stay on my level of vibration. Personally, I couldn't alter my idealistic ways. I think certain characters (in the form of past lovers) were knocked out of an invisible equation until I finally met my husband. So, I think it is important to allow the dreams of love to flow as there is a love which exists at that level - but to balance this simply by not giving it away entirely.

Last edited:
I found your post very sweet and endearing. Maybe you have not found the person who appreciates you for who you are. When you find her, she will love your idealism as much as you do and letting her see the real you won't be so terrifying.
As for society- most people don't understand the way our minds work. Be who you are, because you are adorable, and maybe let a little more of yourself show when you are able to do it without feeling too exposed.

Reactions: Free
It's important to find another person who thinks about things. Then you're good to go.

The first post is like...my life, man

Last edited:
Reactions: Grey Wolf
As time goes by and you look back, you'll see that's all it was: learning.
I've realised this and it helps me accept bad stuff.
I'm 21 and lost someone. I can relativate it as a learning moment. It's still early in my dating life. I've only started when I was 20. And a lot of shit already happened and was learned.
A friend of me lost her boyfriend of a few years. She's 26. She didn't buy the learning stuff. She didn't want to learn. She wanted the right guy.

At what age can one stop learning and start enjoying?

It's obvioulsy a combination between skill/experience and luck. I just want to get lucky :/

Reactions: Grey Wolf
At what age can one stop learning and start enjoying?

That's the thing, I don't think there's a line and on one side you learn learn learn--on the other side you enjoy enjoy enjoy. But I do think it is a sliding scale over time, you shift slowly from learning to knowing and understanding. If you get your heart broken a few times and you're honest to yourself about what happened afterwards (and I know, often it takes time after the event for the emotional impact to ween away before you can do this) you will learn to see the signs if it is coming while in the next relationship. Sometimes you can even articulate what is going wrong and fix it, or you can buffer your emotions before the actual end by knowing what's coming.

It's obvioulsy a combination between skill/experience and luck. I just want to get lucky :/

Haha! No, it's even more than that. I think in youth you think you just want to get lucky, but you get lucky a few times and realize no, that's not what you want. You want something more. Sometimes it's a relationship that challenges you, other times it's a relationship that alleviates other challenges in your life. Sometimes you want someone to understand you, other times you want someone to just stop trying to figure you out.

One thing that may help you is to stop looking at this like a deer hunt. You will probably come across people who look at a relationship as some sort of game and will let you chase them, and may even let you get lucky, but you have to realize that in those cases the ball is in their court, not yours. Ultimately they will use you, because they will look at you in the same way as you look at them: an object to be won.

Instead, you may find that instead of a hunt, it's more like growing a garden. You plant seeds, water and care, and see what blooms. At first, you'll get excited just to see a tiny sprout and over water it or do something else wrong and it will die. But keep trying and you'll get what you want, at least for a single season. If you don't like the flower or fruit from some seeds, or if they grow but refuse to bloom for you, then you plow over the plot and re-seed. Eventually, you'll learn what fruits you like and what you don't, what are too much work to get even though they may be really sweet, and what is too quick and easy to grow and not satisfying. You'll also get better at caring for your favorite plants and find you're more and more successful at bringing the seed to fruit, and some plants you'll want to keep growing year after year.

That's the best advice I can give on it. And just like I said, I'm still learning. I never reached the line between learning and enjoying because I don't think it exists, but I made plenty of mistakes (some awful, horrible mistakes) and learned from them.

Reactions: Grey Wolf and jkxx
Ok im a female but I can tell you that I just allow myself to daydream. Its like a guilty pleasure. Just enjoy the ride. If it comes to fruition or not that is for fate to decide, not you. But that certainly doesnt mean you need to express every fantasy to every girl you date...you need to save that for when the relationship gets close.

Instead, you may find that instead of a hunt, it's more like growing a garden. You plant seeds, water and care, and see what blooms. At first, you'll get excited just to see a tiny sprout and over water it or do something else wrong and it will die. But keep trying and you'll get what you want, at least for a single season. If you don't like the flower or fruit from some seeds, or if they grow but refuse to bloom for you, then you plow over the plot and re-seed. Eventually, you'll learn what fruits you like and what you don't, what are too much work to get even though they may be really sweet, and what is too quick and easy to grow and not satisfying. You'll also get better at caring for your favorite plants and find you're more and more successful at bringing the seed to fruit, and some plants you'll want to keep growing year after year.

Wow, it almost brings a tear to my eye. Do consider I took xtc two days ago for the first time and still feel merry (which is slightly weird).

I think really the issue for me, using your metaphor, is not having/getting any seeds to experiment with.
But I found two seeds over the last week and potentially a third (just chatted once, but will be seeing her more often).
I have a date tomorrow and there's another girl I flirted with earlier and she finally flirted back pretty clearly just today. So I'll see how it goes.
Not overwatering them ^^

I hope one of them grows into a tree covering all of my garden.

First of all, I'd like to start by saying this: being an INFJ is exhausting. It's mentally taxing and never-ending. My mind is racing twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, no matter if I'm awake or if I'm sleeping. During the waking hours, I'm constantly thinking, obsessing, analyzing, feeling, wondering about my future, reflecting on my past and, in general, contemplating the world and why it is the way it is. Some of these thoughts are grounded in reality, but many of them are daydreams, especially when I'm driving or if I have some downtime at work. I'm usually off in my own little world, creating little imaginary scenarios, like what it would be like to play shortstop for the Oakland Athletics or what it would be like to live in Iceland. And that's when I'm awake. When I'm asleep, there's no telling what my mind will come up with.

It's a 24/7 endeavor being an INFJ. You can't turn it off.

In some ways, I really like this about myself. I'm always 100-percent invested in whatever I'm working on. Always full-speed ahead, one hundred miles per hour, because it's so rewarding to be so invested in a work project or a hobby and know everything there is to know about a particular topic. I've seen every episode of my favorite sitcom at least 10 times. I've read my favorite book six times. I have a photographic and encyclopedia-like memory of my favorite sports teams. It's fun to be like this, because I feel so connected to things and take personal ownership of them.

But at the same time, I've found this to be a double-edged sword. My tendency to daydream, mixed with my emotional intensity, is an absolutely lethal and self-destructing combination when it comes to the dating game. As males, we're constantly bombarded with the same dating cliches and advice. "Play it cool," you're told. "Don't get too invested," or, "the person who cares least has the upper hand in the relationship." And in a sense, although a lot of these tidbits of advice come straight from How I Met Your Mother or He's Just Not That Into You or any of the other thousands of shows and movies in Hollywood that deal with these topics, I think there's a bit of truth to it. At first, when you meet someone new, you do need to play it cool a little bit, at least in my opinion. You need to try to take it slow, get to know her a little bit, and let everything play out naturally. In theory, this sounds like a great plan. You don't want to scare a girl off before you two even know each other on a serious level. You can't get too intense too fast.

And, as the saying goes, "therein lies the problem" for a straight INFJ male such as myself. It is impossible to "play it cool." I can't do it. I'm 23 years old, and I've tried and tried and tried, and constantly remind myself not to get too attached too fast with women, but I just can't. Just as I always daydreaming about playing Major League Baseball and could tell you on command which player won the American League MVP every year since 1966, the exact same thing happens when I meet a girl and either want to date her or have started dating her. There's no in-between, no such thing as "she seems cool, let's see where this goes" sort of thing for me. Right off the bat, if I'm attracted to you and want to get to know you, I immediately want to know everything about you. I'm immediately thinking about what the future would look like for us, what your family is like, whether you'd get along with my brothers when you come to visit the family, that sort of thing. The daydreams start, the idealization starts, and, honestly, it scares the living crap out of me. I hate it, hate it, hate it that I can't slow myself down, but I get lost in this fantasy land. And here's the biggest problem: I have to go to great lengths to hide this little fantasy world of mine. As a guy, this isn't how I'm supposed to act (although you could argue that nobody's ever really "supposed" to act a certain way). But to me, it's creepy to be this intense. I fully admit that and understand that, so I hide it. I show the outer mask of "playing it cool." I'm so worried that I'm going to screw up something perfect, and I turn into a shell of my former self. I'm not "me" anymore. Because while my "normal self" gets along terrific with women I'm not attracted to, or female friends of mine who have long-term boyfriends or are off-limits for one reason or another, the obsessive, intense alter ego version of myself clams up around women I'm attracted to. All of the sudden, it's like I'm that 14-year-old kid again who doesn't want the girl from my math class to know that I like her. Even though I'm an adult now, it's almost like I'm petrified that I'll leak my true feelings, and she'll be weirded out.

In the end, it's a nasty cycle. I meet a girl, immediately fall head over heels, then feel so afraid of coming on too strong that the opposite happens-- I don't come on strong enough. Then, things fizzle out, and I'm left overanalyzing and endlessly obsessing about what went wrong. This will go on for months sometimes. I went on a couple of dates with a girl I was really into back in the fall, and I'm still kicking myself for screwing it up. It's May! It's been months! I can't move on from things, and because it is so awful to carry this emotional crap with me on a daily basis, I sometimes find myself not even trying. Because, you know, what's the point of getting invested in someone romantically, if it's going to end up leaving me feeling horrible?

I think my INFJ qualities would make me a good person to be with in a relationship... you know how they always say we're intensely loyal, and that sort of thing. But first, I have to get past those initial stages in a relationship, and get over that paralyzing fear of rejection that I have, which is just not easy. The "fear of rejection" thing is kind of a cliched, unoriginal cop-out, but I don't know how else to describe it. I get into a dangerous mindset where I'd rather stay in my comfort zone than risk feeling like a fool, and obsessing for months and months how I could have possibly screwed things up with a girl I hardly even got to know (and probably idealized mostly based on my unrealistic fantasy world).

Like I said in the beginning: being an INFJ is mentally exhausting! Sometimes I wish I could be in a constant dream state. Things would be a lot easier that way!

In my opinion, you seem like you need to stop day-dreaming and take life more seriously.
I don't think its about you being a INFJ at all.

Probably alot of self-proffesed advocated of "freedom of day-dreaming" will jump in to say how much beautiful and amazing and bla bla bla is day-dreaming.
No matter the feelings you have when you dream and fantasise, at how much "height" you get on, there is a real truth that ultimately day-dreaming and fantasy its a sign of immaturity, of irresponsability.

[MENTION=9401]LucyJr[/MENTION] hit the nail on the head. Man that profile image . . . I really want to put that nail all the way in, or remove it. A job halfway done tsk, tsk, tsk. Anyway, it's true.

If you're anything like me, [MENTION=5631]offtherim[/MENTION], your imagination is an awesome and amazing vacation every time you allow yourself to get deep into it. However in this life it isn't what I imagine that counts, but what I do with it. It's a tough truth sometimes but we gotta be hard on ourselves, not in an anxious unproductive way, but in a disciplinary way.

[MENTION=5631]offtherim[/MENTION] Don't do that to yourself. You will eventually get into something so bad that you will have problems finding the pieces afterwards. 1 out of 20 can spot you, and they will latch on to you, let you idealize them (no problemo!!) and it will feel great until you understand that you are 1. hooked and 2. devalued 3. discarded. This is when your bank account is scraped clean, your best friend is her new boyfriend, her facebook wall is plastered with pictures of them together and there is nothing left for you but a world of hurt. "Playing it cool" is not a game, it is about watching and learning, until you know that this other unknown person is sane, safe and ok to attach to. Don't rush, don't idealize, just be kind, watch, learn and gently understand her. Actions speak louder than words. Be careful with your heart. And besides, taking it slow is beautiful. You have all the time in the world.

So basically being a male INFJ is the same as being Tayor Swift.

I think I should be insulted by this, but maybe there's some insight to be gleamed here.

Could it be that when we first meet someone our inquisitive stare is seen as a blank space, haunted and untouchable.

Maybe it's when we open up and reveal our wildest dreams and you're enchanted by the sad beautiful tragic, fearless and sometimes mean thoughts encased in starlight. A perfectly good heart, hidden and invisible to the outside, as we struggle to find a place in the world. Rarely seen like that white horse with one horn.

Maybe it's the love story that begins to develop, the story of us originally highlighted when Sparks fly as our first kisses come in with the rain.

Maybe it's our soul. A conflicting mix of ancient wisdom, a fifteen year old's romantic nieveate, wanting to never grow up, and forever & always yearning for a righteous state of Grace.

It could be that we're stuck in a catch 22. That our dreams live in the future where we linger on our last kiss and i wish you would dare to believe that you belong with me.

But we're haunted by our past. Our fears are insidious and treacherous, like bad blood, and we know them all too well. When we think we have them beat they begin again.

The INFJ male should just acknowledge that he is the lucky one and say that the way I loved you is inadequate for the Superstar you are and that you will always stay beautiful.

Then again Iv'e been known to over think things and maybe we're just a nightmare dressed as a daydream....
I should probably just shake it off.

Is there a reason why many male INFJs are gay? Just curious, I've seen a few posts emphasizing STRAIGHT, unless it is a big deal I think it specifies too much to an extent that it makes me feel a bit uneasy. Please inform me.

Why not? I'm sorry for being a noob about these stuff, I've recently just discovered the Myers-Briggs type indicator, also yet to understand the whole psychology behind these personalities. I have been reading a lot though!
I’m just goofing around. Keep in mind no two people are alike. I feel like an oddball INFJ because I seem to say odd things and joke around more than other INFJs I’ve interacted with online over the years. Iow, I’m a total weirdo so don’t take dolphin safe tuna jokes as me being mean cuz I’m very friendly! Also welcome to the forum!

Also I’d like to add that there are really great male INFJs males on this forum. I think many of them are humorous, witty and overall awesome. Not as awesome as a certain INTP I know, but still they’re pretty great. Stick around and you’ll see what I mean. :p

And you don’t need to hide from anyone! Women totally dig INFJ men! It’s the INFJ men that are picky!

@Wyote do you cry when looking at beautiful sunsets?

Last edited: