ten bucks says this doesn't work | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

ten bucks says this doesn't work

I first thought fruit, the realized thats not a vegtible and settled for the broccoli.

Carrot.

My first thought was banana, then it was oops fruit, then my next thought was asparagus.

Carrot is a 6 letter word, it's actually easy to see from first glance as being 6 lettered, so when 6 and vegetable comes to mind, carrot is easilly associated.

Also the scrolling down gives you the impression of something long. Even if you didn't think of a carrot it's interesting to see how many got long vegetables.

The orangey background helps too.

Of course this test works best if English is your first language, and it also helps if you know your vegetables from your fruits...

Carrot is a 6 letter word, it's actually easy to see from first glance as being 6 lettered, so when 6 and vegetable comes to mind, carrot is easilly associated.

Also the scrolling down gives you the impression of something long. Even if you didn't think of a carrot it's interesting to see how many got long vegetables.

The orangey background helps too.

Of course this test works best if English is your first language, and it also helps if you know your vegetables from your fruits...

This actually comes from free association studies done in the 60's and 70's. Participants were given a list of target words then they free associated the first word that came to mind. Its all based on priming - unconsciously the target word primed the response and found the most unconsciously associated item for each category - If you try this with "think of a flower" most people will say "Rose"

All the stuff to do with the letter six is just a few added steps to make it seem like something fancy is happening. Like when a magician says a "magic" word or gives a little flourish with his hands. It somehow seems more impressive

I thought cucumber,variances could be due to cultural differences, also I would assume that people would can cook properly are less likely to say carrot because they have a wider and more comfortable knowledge of the various vegetables.

Since carrot is one of the first vegetables that people become familiar with I would assume that constantly thinking and saying six would enforce that thinking thus thinking of something else would be difficult so you are more likely to fall back on a vegetable that you have known for the longest period of time and that has been reinforced the most....just a guess but it sounds reasonable.

As I said, I thought cucumber, but again, it could be related to my english upbringing, I wonder how many english people here thought cucumber during this test, since I think the whole stereotypical view of the english is cucumber sandwiches or tea and crumpets, so that option would be reinforced more

Last edited:
Good point about the different cultures. Carrots are the most common veg in England but not necessarily in other countries

It might be a good time to point out that cucumbers are fruits. The way you tell is it has enclosed seeds and it develops from a flower.

Although the flower thing isn't widely known about unless you're a botanist, so you're off the hook.

I thought of a carrot. Seeing the variety in the responses here, however, I'm doubtful that 98% of people really come up with the same thing.

It might be a good time to point out that cucumbers are fruits. The way you tell is it has enclosed seeds and it develops from a flower.

Although the flower thing isn't widely known about unless you're a botanist, so you're off the hook.

well thats just embarrassing......in that case I would be more inclined to choose broccoli or potato.

thelastmohican said:
I thought of a carrot. Seeing the variety in the responses here, however, I'm doubtful that 98% of people really come up with the same thing.

It says at the bottom that the "test" was emailed to him seems pretty doubtful that it's scientific, probably more curiousity chain mail.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7HoATaunlE&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7HoATaunlE&feature=related[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1FM-SCD9Gc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1FM-SCD9Gc[/ame]

on a separate note I found that entertaining ^

Last edited:
DO NOT READ THE BOTTOM PART OF THIS POST UNTIL YOU HAVE DONE THE EXERCISE!!!!!!!

This needs your first immediate answer. It needs an instant immediate answer because that is your unconscious response and not the one that starts analysing. Jot your answer down for each answer

Think of:
1)A Fruit
2)A Vegetable
3)A Weapon
4)A soft drink
5)A pet
6)A liquid
7)A jewel
8)A form of transport
9)A salad ingredient
10) A flower

Got them down?

With around 80% accuracy here is what you answered:

1) Apple
2) Carrot
3) Gun
4) Coke
5) Dog
6) Water
7) Ruby
8) Car
9) Lettuce
10) Rose

Did we need any nonsense to do with 6's?

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie
DO NOT READ THE BOTTOM PART OF THISD POST UNTIL YOU HAVE DONE THE EXERCISE!!!!!!!

This needs your first immediate answer. It needs an instant immediate answer because that is your unconscious response and not the one that starts analysing. Jot your answer down for each answer

Think of:
1)A Fruit
2)A Vegetable
3)A Weapon
4)A soft drink
5)A pet
6)A liquid
7)A jewel
8)A form of transport
9)A salad ingredient
10) A flower

Got them down?

1) Apple
2) Carrot
3) Gun
4) Coke
5) Dog
6) Water
7) Ruby
8) Car
9) Lettuce
10) Rose

1) Tomato <---- we've just been talking about fruits/vegetables and this is a common misconception
2) Carrot <---- pretty obvious why
3) Knife
4) Coke
5) Cat
6) Bleach <---- I always associate bleach with liquid, dunno why
7) Diamond
8) Car
9) Cucumber <---- just been talking about it
10) Rose

I'm not doing this to be different or prove you wrong. I reckon you're on to something, but I also think it has something to do with word association, more than just "think of a _____".

And I'm pretty sure the most common vegetable in Britain is the potato.

DO NOT READ THE BOTTOM PART OF THIS POST UNTIL YOU HAVE DONE THE EXERCISE!!!!!!!

Think of:
1)A Fruit
2)A Vegetable
3)A Weapon
4)A soft drink
5)A pet
6)A liquid
7)A jewel
8)A form of transport
9)A salad ingredient
10) A flower

Got them down?

1) Apple
2) Carrot
3) Gun
4) Coke
5) Dog
6) Water
7) Ruby
8) Car
9) Lettuce
10) Rose

40% accuracy for me.

And I'm pretty sure the most common vegetable in Britain is the potato.

Of course.

Most people probably wouldn't think of it as being a veg until you remind them though

And as was mentioned by someone earlier I think the different cultures and large number of INFJ's would affect the reliability of this.

P.S. This is from a proper scientific study on priming

Last edited:
Here's another example of priming

This needs to be done in your head only:
Take 1000 and add 40 to it.
Now add another 1000. Now add 30. Add another 1000. Now add 20. Now add another 1000. Now add 10

5000 right? Wrong! Check it on a calculator

Now add another 1000. Now add 30. Add another 1000. Now add 20. Now add another 1000. Now add 10

I like this one, mostly because I got the right answer but I can easily see why people would think it's 5000.

i hate this. mostly because of that fact that I should have been right. Not because I'm good at math, or because i want to be right, but because it appears so simple. i did it twice in my head and got the wrong answer. when i did it on the calc i got a slightly different answer...:msith:

Think of:
1)A Fruit
2)A Vegetable
3)A Weapon
4)A soft drink
5)A pet
6)A liquid
7)A jewel
8)A form of transport
9)A salad ingredient
10) A flower

1. strawberry
2. kale
3. katana
4. cherry coke
5. Woo (my cat)
6. water
7, diamond
8. autobus
9. spinach
10. stephanotis

Was it supposed to be six letters? each I think I'm doin' it wrong.

There's no way I'm doing math.

Apple. Differentiate fruit/veg? Fruit spreads seeds, veg grows them? Why see seeds as special non-life part of life. That's just traditional assumption. I'm a vegetable and an apple too. I participate in their life cycles physically.