Studies in Magic | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Studies in Magic

My version is Numpism, same idea, though no physical contact.

Uh huh. But does it work?

The trick is to find that which works, and hide the reason it works. Then, it's magic.

I have no idea, I've never had anyone act upon the 'thoughts' I've put in their minds, so I suppose not!

I've just looked up hellstromism. Seems like it could really work. The thoughts you are having and the internal state you are in is shown in muscle tension in the body so I don't see any reason why you couldn't learn to read this by touch. I know for a fact that it can be done by sight alone so using touch could very well be even better

I've tried several times forcing myself to believe I can move an object by looking at it intensly. It didn't work.

Welcome to my childhood, I always used to do that. As a kid I was obsessed with anything which the Christians deemed evil, probably something to do with my Evangelical relatives on my fathers side but that is a story for another day. I much prefered Pagan/Occult books to childrens books, and was always in that section of the library. While in my young teens/tweens I focused on the more physical aspect of it, such as using certain herbs, incense, symbols, tarot, etc. Now I realize that instead of a green candle I should use my brain, as it is more powerful.

I apologize, I'm rambling :)

I would just like to note my amazement this forum exists. I never noticed.

Also, to answer the question, I'm an eclectic wiccan, and as such I just kind of do my own thing by ways of magick (in other words, I don't know what to call it). I (normally) cast a circle, do my little ritual, dismiss the circle, and try to act in accordance.

Kind of on topic (its past midnight here, and I'm in a funny mood, so I don't care as much about being on topic, sorry mods...), I have a question for you Shai that pertains to casting circle. Up here in the Northern Hemishpere, the sun goes East>South>West>North and back, so when I want to cast a circle deosil (in the path of the sun), I go in that direction. But for you in the southern hemishphere, the sun goes East>North>West>South (unless I'm being a complete idiot). So if you want to go deosil (for spells that involve creation, or when the moon is waxing), which direction do you go? Do you follow the traditional E>S>W>N or go by what you observe as E>N>W>S?

Creation spells need creation energy. That's sex magic. I'm not a wiccan, I dislike their pansy "for goodness" attitude.

I didn't mean creation magic in that sense. I got that you dislikes the fluffy bunny-ism from the get-go (neither do I, btw). I meant if you ever had need to do something that didn't involve someone's complete destruction. But, ok, I'll ask it in another sense. Widdershins (more of the destruction energy you might prefer) up here would be N>W>S>E, but for you would it be S>W>N>E?

Maybe a better question: Do you cast a circle at all?

No I don't. I occasionally create them when other people are going to be there, for the purpose of reputation and image. But in the main I don't bother with them.

Funny to see this topic posted. Recently I have become increasingly interested in secret societies, ancient magic and the likes. One thing in particular has piqued my interest that I have been studying, is that of the Book of the Sacred Magic of Abramelin the Mage. Of course Im a complete noob when it comes to all this, nor do I wish to 'practice' any of it, I just find it endlessly fascinating.

I have studied Tarot. I have used a druid deck, Shamanism deck (dont ask me it has been too long for me to remember) and the Ryder Waite deck. I have also used a feminism deck called the Mother Peace deck. I liked that too. I liked the Shamanism deck a a lot but never was able to find it. I studied crystals, candles, aura's and energy.

I dont do it any longer. I think I have wasted your time because I would be cautious in talking about it.

If there's 'good' (sorry Shai) magic out there, I have tried to study it. I also read runes, tarot, i-ching, and bibliomancy, as well as using the pendulum to get answers. I've practiced hypnotism, and believe I can hypnotize people in person without them knowing it - but I've only tried in small ways, to change someone's mood or mind. Some of this is behavioral tricks. Mimicing, voice modulation, etc. There are tons of books on these subjects, and I think they're all about the same.

I learned a lot from Frances Scovill Shinn's The Game of Life and How to Play It. I'm not Christian, but it seems to work for me (and I've never had problems reading Christian texts and finding stuff that works for me out of it while ignoring the dogma - I realized not everyone does this). When I want something to happen, and state it out loud with intention behind it, it always happens, but I've learned to be careful about what words I do or do not use, so don't do this often.

I used to practice 'good' wiccan spells, but never really felt like they worked for me - but the belief really wasn't there either. I've tried playing with crystals and 'touch' healing, but those didn't really seem to work very well either. I'm not sure if you have to have a belief in something for it to work - it seems to me that things should work if they're going to work, regardless of your beliefs.

I have also studied shamanism and was able to have a few shamanistic dreams. I've studied out of body stuff, and am too weighed down by my heart to leave. I also believe in sending messages to people telepathically. It seems to work for me.

The past year I don't do too much of any of this except runes. I have a theory that your ancestry guides what divination abilities you will be best at. The Runes have always worked well for me, but Tarot doesn't nearly as well. One of my friends who is Italian swears that the Tarot works well for her, every time, but the Runes don't work for her. All of these things work for me, just not as well as Runes and Bibliomancy.

Last edited:
I found kabbalah interesting. Mostly because I'm taking Hebrew. I had to look it up for some reason - don't remember why - and there was some quote that I liked a lot - don't remember what it was. ha. I'm useful. I'll post again when I find my brain.

Trivia: Kabbalah looks like קבּלה in Hebrew.

I tried to study kaballah but didn't get it - at all. I keep trying to go back to studying it, and come up with the same 'do not understand.' I also knew someone who was big into alchemy. There really isn't that much out there to study it.

I have used runes as well. I really liked runes!!