Spirituality, Atheism, Religion, and Saving the World: | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Spirituality, Atheism, Religion, and Saving the World:

[MENTION=10289]Rift Zone[/MENTION]

You have an interesting totalitarian, authoritative tone masking your talk of soteriology.

I'm happy for you and your beliefs, however idealistically naïve I find them to be, but you should study what you're talking about before you attempt to strawman other people's beliefs with erratic changes in the scope and ambiguity of your definitions.

Why don't you start with a clear, unambiguous definition of what you believe 'spirituality' to encompass.

Spirituality is something man creates because he is afraid to face the fact that he is alone and will just die. It's a comfort system. That's all. I am done with this religion spirituality shit. You can be a good person. You can choose to be kind. And the people who do not believe are treated like they are crazy. They are made to be outcasts. Based of beliefs that are totally un provable except for in the confines of their minds. They are crazy and expect you to join them. I won't. I see more harm than good from these large groups. And if they think that they can impose their will on the rest of us well they got another thing coming....
No, it's not... Spirituality is a fundamental human trait. It is the mark of sentience! EVERY creature smart enough has it! Spirituality is the endeavor to understand and identify one's self with their origin and relation to the universe. Spirituality is a fundamental human trait. We want to know who we are. We want to know where we came from. We want to know what we're doing here. We even want to know what our destiny holds for us. These types of questions are the essence of spirituality. The answers are our identity.

@Rift Zone

You have an interesting totalitarian, authoritative tone masking your talk of soteriology.

I'm happy for you and your beliefs, however idealistically naïve I find them to be, but you should study what you're talking about before you attempt to strawman other people's beliefs with erratic changes in the scope and ambiguity of your definitions.

Why don't you start with a clear, unambiguous definition of what you believe 'spirituality' to encompass.

Above, for the definition you ask.

I am a science geek in love with the natural world. I've always been spiritual. I point out Carl Sagan and his love for existence, sentience and the universe that granted it to us because I have the same brand of spirituality. But I'm not the Dali Llama. I'm spiritual but not necessarily a spiritual leader, I'm a fighter. This is how you save the world and I don't see anyone else doing it. This is not a negotiation. This is a fucked up planet that has been given to us through the private interests of countless business, governance and religious entities. I'm going to kick the shit out of all of them. It is time to take back what they have gained from humanity and use it to empower ourselves. The system is broken and you may not like my tone playing mr. nice guy will get this planet NOWHERE. Please forgive me for what I must do.

[MENTION=10252]say what[/MENTION], I believe you continue to confuse religion with spirituality. If you think there is ANY merit to Abrahamic religion lets address those merits one at a time. I will clearly demonstrate you value spirituality, not religion.

Perhaps you can define both of these- without the use of specific denominations. I don't believe that I am confusing the two at all.

When I'm home tonight I will link to a variety of literature that demonstrates positives of religion. Until then, I would like to ask if you recognize individual experiences with religion, and personal accounts of empowerment- I would imagine there are individuals on this forum that would be able to tell you their own stories of feeling empowered by religion.

I am also interested in seeing how you demonstrate to me that I value spirituality, not religion...as I never once stated in my post that I value either more or less than the other. Personally, I value spirituality more than religion- but I have not alluded to that at all in my post. I think you automatically assume that someone who doesn't have the disdain for religion, like you have, automatically is religious, and not spiritual.

I have the opinion that there is value in religion for some people; but that the institutional properties of religion often does disservice to the actual meaning and intention of the practice. I also believe that you can be religious and not spiritual, or spiritual and not religious - they are two very separate things. You can also be religious, but not believe in the entirety of that sect. For example, I know Catholics who do not believe homosexuality is a sin.

I am actually a non-religious person, who believes that religious can be valuable to a person...but it's not something that is of value to me personally.

That is a fact I can defend. Please review the bottom half of the initial post. You will get nowhere confusing spirituality with religion.

I don't think you can. You're not willing to accept that there are people out there who are empowered by religion. You don't actually present facts to support your perspective, you just provide your opinion- which is 100% completely and totally fine! It's just it's your opinion- and by limiting yourself to only hearing or accepting your opinion, you do disservice to your cause.

I know what changing the world will take. People have no idea who or what we are. We are lost thanks to religion and religion is taking advantage of that fact for all it's worth! Inform humanity of it's true identity and all of a sudden the way we are living will become wholly unacceptable. The people have the power! They don't affect their will because they are taught they are meant to be someone's little bitch who is supposed to live in misery and hardship. They are taught to privately appeal to phanstasm for their woes. Well, fuck all that. Atheist Spirituality shall teach them of their great capacity and the subjugation is a trait of the dark ages that has no place in this era. Change the world view, change the wolrd. That causality is FACT!

It's actually not causality. Changing the world isn't as simple as changing someone's faith or spirituality - or both.

But another question I have is, why do you think that your opinions/perspective/world view is the change that is needed? Doing you think that funnelling everyone into a single world view is what is needed? Some, like myself, would believe the exact opposite, that opening up the world to the breadth of views and accepting them as equality is what will change the world. Creating acceptance and enveloping the world with respect for all views might bring people together to support a common cause.

I am also interested in seeing how you demonstrate to me that I value spirituality, not religion...as I never once stated in my post that I value either more or less than the other. Personally, I value spirituality more than religion- but I have not alluded to that at all in my post. I think you automatically assume that someone who doesn't have the disdain for religion, like you have, automatically is religious, and not spiritual.

Perhaps I do misread you confusing spirituality and religion. Let's find out!!!! Let's take an example. Give me one benefit of religion! Lets walk another through our perspectives here. Name one example, one trait, one facet of religion that you hold be valuable. Keep in mind, religion and spirituality are distinct, so please be very careful to make the example about religion alone. I think drawing clear distinctions between spirituality and religion would be a good thing for us all.

No, it's not... Spirituality is a fundamental human trait. It is the mark of sentience! EVERY creature smart enough has it! Spirituality is the endeavor to understand and identify one's self with their origin and relation to the universe. Spirituality is a fundamental human trait. We want to know who we are. We want to know where we came from. We want to know what we're doing here. We even want to know what our destiny holds for us. These types of questions are the essence of spirituality. The answers are our identity.

I think this is a great definition, but you're imposing your own idea of what 'the universe' is.

Opening up the idea that spirituality is subjective and individually created allows it's beauty and strength to shine. Forcing someone to relate to what you base your own spirituality off of, will not support an individual's own growth - it is in fact, what you condemn religions to do.

Reactions: Wildfire

I strongly disagree. Spirituality is nothing more than believing in Santa Clause. You have zero way of knowing anything. You can feel it but that does not make it real. Just like old Santa Claus kids believe it until they figure out that it is impossible to be Santa. You may be connected to the Earth and stars through Dna but as far as I can tell that is all. Wanting to believe in that stuff is living in fantasy. Just like I lived in a fantasy world that people would return the favors I did for them. That was my own delusion created in my own head. Their intentions were quite the opposite than my own. You choose to be good or bad but that is really judged by those that you effect. If you ask the people you did nice things for they will say that you are good. If you ask the people you screwed over they will say that you are bad. It really has to do with other people. What you think and believe are your own thoughts based on what you want or will accept. A good society strives to work in unison. And by doing so keeps the society growing. Survival of the fittest and smartest. Natural selection in the end....

Perhaps I do misread you confusing spirituality and religion. Let's find out!!!! Let's take an example. Give me one benefit of religion! Lets walk another through our perspectives here. Name one example, one trait, one facet of religion that you hold be valuable. Keep in mind, religion and spirituality are distinct, so please be very careful to make the example about religion alone. I think drawing clear distinctions between spirituality and religion would be a good thing for us all.

This is what you're not understanding...I personally am not religious, and it doesn't have value to me. But I can't discount that others don't see or experience value in it. Just because I don't want religion in my life, doesn't mean it's not useful.

Here is some basic literature on religion and positive outcomes:

http://psycnet.apa.org/index.cfm?fa=search.displayRecord&UID=2012-22252-032

http://www.jstor.org/stable/25782172

http://psr.sagepub.com/content/14/1/60.full.pdf

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11205-010-9637-0/fulltext.html

This is just the tip of the wealth of literature out there that shows people do benefit from religion.

Then you mean to say we are in complete agreement? Fantastic! -Because if what's presented here could be refuted,I wouldn't be a proponent of it in the first place. I'm glad we need not argue over topics that will go nowhere but forward.

I think something different is in the works right now. My memory is pretty damn good.

Well you'll forget it all in the name of progress soon anyway.

I think I just broke a record in post quotes... I'm getting to them. =) Might take me a moment or two.

Spirituality is a fundamental human trait. It is the mark of sentience! EVERY creature smart enough has it! Spirituality is the endeavor to understand and identify one's self with their origin and relation to the universe. Spirituality is a fundamental human trait. We want to know who we are. We want to know where we came from. We want to know what we're doing here. We even want to know what our destiny holds for us. These types of questions are the essence of spirituality. The answers are our identity.

Distinction and mutual exclusion are not synonymous. I agree with you that 'spirituality' and 'religion' are distinct concepts, but are not mutually exclusive:

Sentience is the ability to feel, perceive, or to experience subjectivity. Eighteenth-century philosophers used the concept to distinguish the ability to think (reason) from the ability to feel (sentience). In modern Western philosophy, sentience is the ability to experience sensations (known in philosophy of mind as "qualia"). The concept is central to the philosophy of animal rights, because sentience is necessary for the ability to suffer, which is held to entail certain rights.

When Christians speak of the Passion of Christ, they are referring to the suffering of Christ:

passion (n.) late 12c., "sufferings of Christ on the Cross," from Old French passion "Christ's passion, physical suffering" (10c.), from Late Latin passionem (nominative passio) "suffering, enduring," from past participle stem of Latin pati "to suffer, endure," possibly from PIE root *pe(i)- "to hurt" (cognates: Sanskrit pijati "reviles, scorns," Greek pema "suffering, misery, woe," Old English feond "enemy, devil," Gothic faian "to blame").

Sense extended to sufferings of martyrs, and suffering generally, by early 13c.; meaning "strong emotion, desire" is attested from late 14c., from Late Latin use of passio to render Greek pathos. Replaced Old English þolung (used in glosses to render Latin passio), literally "suffering," from þolian (v.) "to endure."

Sense of "sexual love" first attested 1580s; that of "strong liking, enthusiasm, predilection" is from 1630s. The passion-flower so called from 1630s.
The name passionflower -- flos passionis -- arose from the supposed resemblance of the corona to the crown of thorns, and of the other parts of the flower to the nails, or wounds, while the five sepals and five petals were taken to symbolize the ten apostles -- Peter ... and Judas ... being left out of the reckoning. ["Encyclopaedia Britannica," 1885]

This is clearly within your vague definition of spirituality. I also believe your definition to be limited by its exclusion of sapience as well. The defining mark of homo sapiens is wisdom or sapience. I believe spirituality to also include this concept.

You seem to take issue with political issues that are inherent in any social structure, yet you would propose a 'communal' undertaking devoid of any political manipulation? Forgive my incredulity, but how does one accomplish such a task?

I think this is a great definition, but you're imposing your own idea of what 'the universe' is.

Opening up the idea that spirituality is subjective and individually created allows it's beauty and strength to shine. Forcing someone to relate to what you base your own spirituality off of, will not support an individual's own growth - it is in fact, what you condemn religions to do.
I agree with this.

[MENTION=10289]Rift Zone[/MENTION]

Just some food for thought…

The way you’ve defined religion in your opening post might be a valid description of your own experience, but it’s not going to resonate with everyone. This is already reflected in the majority of the responses to this thread, and in the end it is going to limit the effectiveness and reach of your stated mission. I think you’d do much better saying something like “This is how I encountered this religion at this time in my life and this is why it didn’t work for me…”

And I want you to know that I think your spirituality is very beautiful, but it is also consistent with Franciscan spirituality for example, which is alive and well within “the religious confines of the Catholic tradition”. So in instances like these can you be more specific about what it is you want to eradicate?

In all honesty I have to say that your us against them approach just doesn’t work for me. From my perspective, your problem with religion needs to give way into broader understanding and I suspect that you actually have a problem with the level of consciousness at which members of the human race interact with, or engage in, their religion. Have you ever considered this?

I don't think you can. You're not willing to accept that there are people out there who are empowered by religion. You don't actually present facts to support your perspective, you just provide your opinion- which is 100% completely and totally fine! It's just it's your opinion- and by limiting yourself to only hearing or accepting your opinion, you do disservice to your cause.
I think I will. Religion is subjugation. Everything about the religious world view turns believers into sheeple.
In atheist spiritualty, we are all equals. We kinda know that already but that's not what religion teaches. Religion teaches you are an unworthy subject who must appease your masters. Anyone listening is welcome to defy that! Your masters are terrestrial! make no mistake about that. And they don't give a damn about what you think about your station in life! You can tell because they also teach you this world is suppose to suck. It's not supposed to get better. You're supposed to die, only then can your true whateverthefuck can come to fruition. Oh, and if you do wish to complain, whisper quietly to a phantasm about your woes. Dot go discussing it among yourselves... And sure as fuck don't go out to the world and try to do something about it... That certainly isnt your place. You have rulers.

The whole bottom half of the initial post explains religion is subjugation! I already have explained this and it stands irrefutable!
It's actually not causality. Changing the world isn't as simple as changing someone's faith or spirituality - or both.

But another question I have is, why do you think that your opinions/perspective/world view is the change that is needed? Doing you think that funnelling everyone into a single world view is what is needed? Some, like myself, would believe the exact opposite, that opening up the world to the breadth of views and accepting them as equality is what will change the world. Creating acceptance and enveloping the world with respect for all views might bring people together to support a common cause.
There is causality there. That is a direct relationship! Press me on it and we can write it all out. I'll submit it as my doctoral thesis in psychology. I might get a degree after all. World view places definitive restrictions on our realm of possibilities. You can only work within what you know! Carefully consider my above paragraph as THE realm of possibilities. What type of world do you suppose we'd create out of that? The fucked up one we got now is the right answer.

Atheist spirituality: you're the coolest thing in the universe: alive, smart, you're an awesome creature. You've been given a gift, a place of honor, use it wisely. Make yourself worthy of the honor you've been given by treating all life, your kin, with dignity and respect. Laugh, play, dance, explore... Enjoy this life, it is precious. Give it your all, it's the only one you got. Grow and learn, you are young, born of the stars, fulfill your destiny with your technology and frolic with them once again. I believe spirituality is the key to saving the world because of these types of teachings. Atheist spirituality teaches the kinship of all species, not just humanity. Its underlying teachings include humanity is gifted and beautiful. That we are capable. That our destiny is bright and our time here is precious. That this is our only home and we should take care of it. That all forms of life have value. That a healthy and happy humanity requires healthy and happy world/ecosystems... Spirituality is the strongest force on this planet. It can, has and does define the past, present and future of our being and domain. No other manifestation can make such an impact on our world because nothing else can inspire us like it can. If you do not believe atheist spirituality is the key to saving the world then I got some 'splain'n to do because it is a fact reality.

Teach humanity who we are and what we are capable of and making a better world will be a natural byproduct of our identity. Sadly, humanity is taught to abandon their true selves. Atheist spirituality has another lesson for them. Once they learn that lesson we'll reformat governance and corporations to better suit our being.

For the purposes of this discussion, definition of universe is pretty consistent. -no? Force people to accept their true identity? lol It's self evident. Every one except the religiously broken can see what I claim about humanity above is absolute truth. Forcing the voice of subjugation to STU is not a bad thing. You think in a religious fashion. Only contrived subjugation forces belief. Truth is offered and accepted by its merit alone. The next generation of spiritual seekers will eat this up like candy! Force it? I might not be left alone about it. Theists are a dying breed.

I strongly disagree. Spirituality is nothing more than believing in Santa Clause. You have zero way of knowing anything. You can feel it but that does not make it real. Just like old Santa Claus kids believe it until they figure out that it is impossible to be Santa. You may be connected to the Earth and stars through Dna but as far as I can tell that is all. Wanting to believe in that stuff is living in fantasy. Just like I lived in a fantasy world that people would return the favors I did for them. That was my own delusion created in my own head. Their intentions were quite the opposite than my own. You choose to be good or bad but that is really judged by those that you effect. If you ask the people you did nice things for they will say that you are good. If you ask the people you screwed over they will say that you are bad. It really has to do with other people. What you think and believe are your own thoughts based on what you want or will accept. A good society strives to work in unison. And by doing so keeps the society growing. Survival of the fittest and smartest. Natural selection in the end....
Some people have like zero inclination toward spirituality. Some invest everything they are in it. You are of the former camp. We will never agree. Your input will remain just as irrelevant to me as mine is to you. We have nothing to talk about, as far as spirituality goes. Namaste.

This is what you're not understanding...I personally am not religious, and it doesn't have value to me. But I can't discount that others don't see or experience value in it. Just because I don't want religion in my life, doesn't mean it's not useful.

Here is some basic literature on religion and positive outcomes:

http://psycnet.apa.org/index.cfm?fa=search.displayRecord&UID=2012-22252-032

http://www.jstor.org/stable/25782172

http://psr.sagepub.com/content/14/1/60.full.pdf

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11205-010-9637-0/fulltext.html

This is just the tip of the wealth of literature out there that shows people do benefit from religion.
You mean religious propaganda. I'm not gonna check the links. I've had enough with what humanity has done to spirituality and subsequently us. They will read my work if they want to keep up to date on what's happening in the wolrd.

What you don't understand is there is no redeeming qualities to religion what so ever. none! You've been duped! You will not be able to successfully refute this assertion. Try if you like, but I consider you a friend, and I'm telling ya, I'll break any attempt to make abrahamic seem worthy in ANY fashion. Whatever you can gain from that is a dismal comparison to what atheist spirituality can provide. religion has nothing, absolutely fucking nothing over atheist spirituality.
Well you'll forget it all in the name of progress soon anyway.
They may forget the source but the lesson will be incorporated into all future wisdom. This will be taken to new heights by others just like I've taken today's wisdom ever so slightly further. That's what building wisdom means! That's how we grow... That's.... Wait a second. WTF? Are you listening to yourself? Come now, you need to give that shit up already. You're embarrassing me.

Distinction and mutual exclusion are not synonymous. I agree with you that 'spirituality' and 'religion' are distinct concepts, but are not mutually exclusive:

When Christians speak of the Passion of Christ, they are referring to the suffering of Christ:

This is clearly within your vague definition of spirituality. I also believe your definition to be limited by its exclusion of sapience as well. The defining mark of homo sapiens is wisdom or sapience. I believe spirituality to also include this concept.

You seem to take issue with political issues that are inherent in any social structure, yet you would propose a 'communal' undertaking devoid of any political manipulation? Forgive my incredulity, but how does one accomplish such a task?
Yes they are. You and [MENTION=10252]say what[/MENTION] seem to have that in common. They are entirely distinct. One is a fundamental human trait. The other is an expression of fundamental trait. Religion is an expression of spirituality. Atheist spirituality is an expression of spirituality. Spirituality is the mark of sentience. Any creature smart enough will develop those core questions of identity. Elephants, dolphins and most of the academy of sciences don't believe in abrahamic gods, but all are sentient.

I agree with this.

@Rift Zone

Just some food for thought…

The way you’ve defined religion in your opening post might be a valid description of your own experience, but it’s not going to resonate with everyone. This is already reflected in the majority of the responses to this thread, and in the end it is going to limit the effectiveness and reach of your stated mission. I think you’d do much better saying something like “This is how I encountered this religion at this time in my life and this is why it didn’t work for me…”

And I want you to know that I think your spirituality is very beautiful, but it is also consistent with Franciscan spirituality for example, which is alive and well within “the religious confines of the Catholic tradition”. So in instances like these can you be more specific about what it is you want to eradicate?

In all honesty I have to say that your us against them approach just doesn’t work for me. From my perspective, your problem with religion needs to give way into broader understanding and I suspect that you actually have a problem with the level of consciousness at which members of the human race interact with, or engage in, their religion. Have you ever considered this?
My definition of the universe? Please tell me how that is relevent. I'm not dualist? -that would matter, actually. What do you guys mean by that?

My personal experience with religion was pleasant. I always knew they were full of it so it never really affected me. It was just cheap baby sitting one day a week. That's what it does to humanity! That is the collective result. This is exactly how I encountered it as I looked out into the world.

Thank you for the compliment! Ya, true spiritualiy is hard to hide. Franciscan revolution was a very beautiful thing... I'd get along well with that guy. =)

Your last paragraph is rather deep. I'm a fighter, a spiritual activist... I'm not a spiritual leader. I'm trying though... That's one reason I'm hanging out with you guys! You do great as southing my savage soul. My problem with religion stems directly form what it has done to this world. I didn't think anything was wrong with it for most of my life. -Not right, but whatever, it didn't seem detrimental, so, peace. But it's not like that. Religion is why this world is so fucked up! This is war.

I think you misread me and my level of understanding. I'm a science geek who was born in love with the universe. God is a big question and I've been looking for answers my whole life. I'm inherently spiritual and I've exposed myself to every expression of it i could find. I should probably chlll out a bit, I could be a spiritual leader. If you disagree, let's talk about it. I'm down for a little insight from INFJs. Let me know what you see. What I see is humanity rejoicing thanks to being set free from the bonds of mental slavery. (thanks for that way of capturing that notion Bob Marley)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
I think I will. Religion is subjugation. Everything about the religious world view turns believers into sheeple.
In atheist spiritualty, we are all equals.

But as a spiritual atheist, you don't believe everyone is equal. The sentence before that demonstrates that.

Religion teaches you are an unworthy subject who must appease your masters.

You're generalizing a few sects of Abrahamic religion to all of religion.

Your masters are terrestrial! make no mistake about that. And they don't give a damn about what you think about your station in life! You can tell because they also teach you this world is suppose to suck. It's not supposed to get better. You're supposed to die, only then can your true whateverthefuck can come to fruition. Oh, and if you do wish to complain, whisper quietly to a phantasm about your woes. Dot go discussing it among yourselves... And sure as fuck don't go out to the world and try to do something about it... That certainly isnt your place. You have rulers.

Again...this is not what all religion, or all religious believers think.

The whole bottom half of the initial post explains religion is subjugation! I already have explained this and it stands irrefutable!There is causality there. That is a direct relationship! Press me on it and we can write it all out. I'll submit it as my doctoral thesis in psychology. I might get a degree after all. World view places definitive restrictions on our realm of possibilities. You can only work within what you know! Carefully consider my above paragraph as THE realm of possibilities. What type of world do you suppose we'd create out of that? The fucked up one we got now is the right answer.

Your post is your opinion. Just because you believe in your opinion fully, does not mean it's irrefutable- nor does it induce causality. Causality is extremely difficult to determine in topics like this. In physical sciences, you can control external variables- eliminating confounding factors - to test a x to y relationship. Anything involving humans and social constructs, is exceptionally difficult to understand - as there is almost an unlimited number of factors that influence an individual's perception, choices, and actions. To say that religion is the cause of a certain action, is an extremely naive and under informed opinion and understanding of how our social world is constructed. Moreover, just because you say your opinion is irrefutable, doesn't mean it is. You haven't provided anything to substantiate what you're saying. Opinion, while interesting, creative, potentially correct, and profound - is still opinion. Nothing these days occurs because of an individual's opinion. Movements happen by generating evidence and proof that opinions are valid. In fact, the idea that Christianity is based on the Bible, which some believe is the opinions of man, is what you're essentially doing. I only make this connection to help show you that the credibility of what you're saying would be far greater if you provided more than just your opinion.

Atheist spirituality: you're the coolest thing in the universe: alive, smart, you're an awesome creature. You've been given a gift, a place of honor, use it wisely. Make yourself worthy of the honor you've been given by treating all life, your kin, with dignity and respect. Laugh, play, dance, explore... Enjoy this life, it is precious. Give it your all, it's the only one you got. Grow and learn, you are young, born of the stars, fulfill your destiny with your technology and frolic with them once again. I believe spirituality is the key to saving the world because of these types of teachings. Atheist spirituality teaches the kinship of all species, not just humanity. Its underlying teachings include humanity is gifted and beautiful. That we are capable. That our destiny is bright and our time here is precious. That this is our only home and we should take care of it. That all forms of life have value. That a healthy and happy humanity requires healthy and happy world/ecosystems... Spirituality is the strongest force on this planet. It can, has and does define the past, present and future of our being and domain. No other manifestation can make such an impact on our world because nothing else can inspire us like it can. If you do not believe atheist spirituality is the key to saving the world then I got some 'splain'n to do because it is a fact reality.

I actually find this very similar to Christianity in that humans are above all other living things. And much of what you say in the rest of the paragraph could be taken from papers on Christianity and ecology. I have read this in them. I think you refuse to see that a lot of what you are saying, has been said before, and are actually being practiced in religions. That's not to say they are exclusive to them, but you speak as if they don't exist within religion- when in fact, they do.

Teach humanity who we are and what we are capable of and making a better world will be a natural byproduct of our identity. Sadly, humanity is taught to abandon their true selves. Atheist spirituality has another lesson for them. Once they learn that lesson we'll reformat governance and corporations to better suit our being.

It saddens me that you can't see that what you're suggesting people do, is the same thing you dislike in religion. You want everyone to drop what they believe, and jump on your bandwagon. What if someone's natural identity is to believe in God? Why is that wrong? This person can still hold the values you suggest, while believing in a higher power. To say they can't, is to impose the same restrictions that you condemn religion for.

For the purposes of this discussion, definition of universe is pretty consistent. -no? Force people to accept their true identity? lol It's self evident. Every one except the religiously broken can see what I claim about humanity above is absolute truth. Forcing the voice of subjugation to STU is not a bad thing. You think in a religious fashion. Only contrived subjugation forces belief. Truth is offered and accepted by its merit alone. The next generation of spiritual seekers will eat this up like candy! Force it? I might not be left alone about it. Theists are a dying breed.

The definition of the universe is not consistent- but you want everyone to believe in your definition. Yes, there are a lot of people out there that do...but there are a lot of people out there that hold other ideas of what the universe is, and what it means to them.

This is where the issue is. You want people to abide by your definition of spirituality, yet you want people to accept their true identity...in fact, you're forcing your identity on them. If your goal is for people to be free and find themselves, then you can't limit or condemn them from doing that within religion. You're contradicting yourself.

I also think you refuse to believe that people who don't believe in religion might have a different opinion of it...you also feel that anyone that has a different opinion of you is wrong. I actually spent time finding you resources to help expand your understanding of religion and offer a different perspective- but you refuse to education yourself on something that might be in opposition of your claims. If you truly believe you had the ability to attain a doctorate, you would recognize that the first true lesson in this journey is that you know very little about a very small subject...and that there are many opposing arguments and theories that deserve your respect and time. Coming at anything with a singular and narrow perspective is not creating a well educated and formed argument.

You're telling us all that the sky is red, and it's refutable...yet you show us no evidence, and are unwilling to hear other opinions which can provide you with legitimate information that the sky isn't red.

The next generation of spiritual seekers will eat this up like candy!

I feel like you're going down the path of "The next generation of spiritual seekers will [drink] this up like [purple koolaid]"

You mean religious propaganda. I'm not gonna check the links. I've had enough with what humanity has done to spirituality and subsequently us. They will read my work if they want to keep up to date on what's happening in the wolrd.

It's not religious propaganda. Considering everything that suggest an alternative view to yours as propaganda is absolutely ludacrus. Honestly...if you gave enough respect and time to check them out, you would see that there is a lot of information out there, from non-religious individuals, that suggest there are benefits to religion. You want people to read your work, yet you won't give others the time of day? What makes your work so special? Why are you the sayer of all in the world and what will happen? Why should someone take the time to hear you, when you won't listen to people who spent their lives researching, learning, and understanding religion? We're not your mom, we won't have this innate bias towards your work, and love it.

What you don't understand is there is no redeeming qualities to religion what so ever. none! You've been duped! You will not be able to successfully refute this assertion. Try if you like, but I consider you a friend, and I'm telling ya, I'll break any attempt to make abrahamic seem worthy in ANY fashion. Whatever you can gain from that is a dismal comparison to what atheist spirituality can provide. religion has nothing, absolutely fucking nothing over atheist spirituality.

You always want me to be frank with you, and I am. I honestly feel bad, but I am approaching this how I would if I were at a defense for a student. You are not able to refute anything, and haven't so far, because you are not willing to consider or even read the evidence. I have provided you with a variety of redeeming qualities of religion, and all your response has been is "I'm not going to look at them." "I'll refute them". If you want to have a serious conversation, where knowledge and growth is exchanged, then you must reach out from your opinion and listen to others. Listening does not mean agreeing. But in order to further your claims, you have to listen to others and learn something.

I am more than willing to have this conversation with you, but I don't think you truly want that. I think you want people to just agree with you and support you- and that's fine...but it'll do nothing to help you further your own understanding of spiritual atheism.

@riftzone you say"Some people have like zero inclination toward spirituality. Some invest everything they are in it. You are of the former camp. We will never agree. Your input will remain just as irrelevant to me as mine is to you. We have nothing to talk about, as far as spirituality goes. Namaste."

That's a laugh. You have obviously never read my blog....​

Evidence of the value of religion for some individuals:

Religion and the Well-Being of Adolescents

Michael J. Donahue, and Peter L. Benson
DOI: 10.1111/j.1540-4560.1995.tb01328.x

1995 The Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues
Issue Journal of Social Issues
Journal of Social Issues
Volume 51, Issue 2, pages 145–160, Summer 1995

A literature review of the relation between religiousness and adolescent well-being is presented, along with new analyses from a large adolescent data base. It is found that the average level of religiousness of U.S. adolescents has not declined recently, although it does appear to decrease on average across the years of adolescence. African Americans are more religious than whites, and girls are more religious than boys. Religiousness is positively associated with prosocial values and behavior, and negatively related to suicide ideation and attempts, substance abuse, premature sexual involvement, and delinquency. It is unrelated to self-esteem. These results are found to be robust after controlling for sociodemographic characteristics. The article concludes with policy suggestions for integrating religion's prosocial influences into larger societal programs.

This article (1) shows that there is correlational relationships and not causal (see my above points on using 'causal', and (2) lists a range of benefits seen in individuals who are religious. This is also from a publication not founded in theology or religion.

This is an article that goes into religion and spirituality - and their definitions: http://www.psychology.hku.hk/ftbcstudies/refbase/docs/zinnbauer/1997/34_Zinnbauer_etal1997.pdf

Modeling the Cross-Sectional Relationships Between Religion, Physical Health, Social Support, and Depressive Symptoms
The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, Volume 5, Issue 2, Pages 131-144
Harold G. Koenig, Judith C. Hays, Linda K. George, Dan G. Blazer, David B. Larson, Lawrence R. Landerman

The authors examined models of the relationships between religious activities, physical health, social support, and depressive symptoms in a sample of 4,000 persons age 65 and over. Religious activity was examined first as a single composite construct and then split into three component variables that were examined individually. Religious activity as a single construct was correlated with both social support and good physical health but was unrelated to depression. Split into the three components, model fit was significantly increased. Frequency of church attendance was positively related to physical health and negatively related to depression, but was surprisingly unrelated to social support. Frequent churchgoers were about half as likely to be depressed. Private prayer/Bible reading was negatively correlated with physical health and positively correlated with social support, but unrelated to depression. Religious TV/radio listening was unrelated to social support, negatively related to good physical health, and, unexpectedly, positively associated with depression.

This suggests that the social support attained from the religious community, such as church, has significant impacts on health.

Again, this is from a non-theology based publication- so no 'religious propaganda'.

Religion, spirituality and mental health: results from a national study of English households
Michael King, Louise Marston, Sally McManus, Terry Brugha, Howard Meltzer and Paul Bebbington

Published online ahead of print November 22, 2012, British Journal of Psychiatry

Abstract

Background

Religious participation or belief may predict better mental health but most research is American and measures of spirituality are often conflated with well-being.

Aims

To examine associations between a spiritual or religious understanding of life and psychiatric symptoms and diagnoses.

Method

We analysed data collected from interviews with 7403 people who participated in the third National Psychiatric Morbidity Study in England.

Results

Of the participants 35% had a religious understanding of life, 19% were spiritual but not religious and 46% were neither religious nor spiritual. Religious people were similar to those who were neither religious nor spiritual with regard to the prevalence of mental disorders, except that the former were less likely to have ever used drugs (odds ratio (OR) = 0.73, 95% CI 0.60–0.88) or be a hazardous drinker (OR = 0.81, 95% CI 0.69–0.96). Spiritual people were more likely than those who were neither religious nor spiritual to have ever used (OR = 1.24, 95% CI 1.02–1.49) or be dependent on drugs (OR = 1.77, 95% CI 1.20–2.61), and to have abnormal eating attitudes (OR = 1.46, 95% CI 1.10–1.94), generalised anxiety disorder (OR = 1.50, 95% CI 1.09–2.06), any phobia (OR = 1.72, 95% CI 1.07–2.77) or any neurotic disorder (OR = 1.37, 95% CI 1.12–1.68). They were also more likely to be taking psychotropic medication (OR = 1.40, 95% CI 1.05–1.86).

Conclusions

People who have a spiritual understanding of life in the absence of a religious framework are vulnerable to mental disorder.

There's tons of it out there.

The impression that I am left with is that you believe religion is best explained by reference to the extreme elements within it. You assume that religious conviction imposes a particular understanding on others. "There is a spectrum of religious understanding and commitment, in which extremists commit themselves to destruction and chaos, and others seek to bring healing and value to the poor and destitute, it is clear that it is impossible for belief systems to be defined by the actions of a few individuals within them, in much the same way that it is inaccurate to define the attributes and workings of the human body by reference to a single freckle that appears on the skin." (Bob Eckhard). To see the extreme elements within religion as characteristic of the whole, is a narrow and misinformed view. This is a point worth making because you use gross generalisations within religious groups.

"Take serial killer Dennis Nielsen, who murdered fifteen people in the late seventies and early eighties. We do not presume that all people called ‘Dennis’ are likely to become a serial killer. We might hope that there are far more instances of people with the name ‘Dennis’ who are involved in doing good work or carrying out altruistic acts as there are criminals with the same name (although we would never know for sure…). Neither do we presume that the arrest and conviction of a mother found guilty of murdering her son, heralds a new wave of women psychopaths who cannot be trusted to safeguard their children. Similarly, we do not condemn all Germans as Nazis because at one point in history fanatics with extremist ideas committed atrocities in pursuit of their Arian ideology. We are reasonable enough to ascertain that this sort of behaviour is not indicative of every German." (Bob Eckhard)

Extremist activity is by its very nature at odds with the norms of society - the action is considered extreme because it does not fit with normal behaviour. Religious belief is poorly defined by selecting as a sample the extreme minority.