Graduated from Typology : May 2011
Donor
Aug 9, 2009
MBTI
IEI
Enneagram
6w5 sp/sx
Anyone else do this?

Taking opportunities to focus on presenting yourself a certain way, refining personality flaws, or just to monitor whether your view of yourself is accurate?

no

yes

oui

Yes, mostly at work though which I find interesting. When I really thought about the question I would say 75% of the time when I do this it's in a professional environment.

I did when I was younger, but not so often any more. These days I'm mostly just trying to figure out how to get the real me onto the other side of the brain barrier.

I do this, though it drains my energy immensely. It's very satisfying in the end, because I get to see myself in a different light, and expand my boundaries.

Yes. I've put myself into situations where I am "pushed" to be - other than my usual preference. For example: joining clubs while in High School, joining clubs and a sorority in College (wow was that hard - but I learned a lot), taking seminars in public speaking and then presenting material in public, and many other social settings that encouraged me to be more outgoing. Having recently finished a masters program in a social service profession put me up in front of the classroom over and over again - which was good for me as well. I still get nervous - but I've realized I'll live through it after all. :wink:

All of these social settings allowed me to observe how others interact and behave with each other. I needed that to learn how to "play the game" as I've called it all these years and survive with all the EST types out there. And of course it allowed for feedback to me and whether I was "doing it right". Otherwise - I think I would have stayed in my head and an outcast forever. Sure I was buffeted and tossed about - even trampled on - but in looking back on those times I would do it all over again.
I definitely recommend seeking ways "to get one outside of the box" to all of us INFJ's.

Yes. I've put myself into situations where I am "pushed" to be - other than my usual preference. For example: joining clubs while in High School, joining clubs and a sorority in College (wow was that hard - but I learned a lot), taking seminars in public speaking and then presenting material in public, and many other social settings that encouraged me to be more outgoing. Having recently finished a masters program in a social service profession put me up in front of the classroom over and over again - which was good for me as well. I still get nervous - but I've realized I'll live through it after all.

yeah i agree and relate to this. because a lot of people put emphasis in how they think they're coming off towards others, what we do and how we react outside of our social comfort zone can be rewarding and insightful in terms of self image and self awareness.

with that said i don't think its the only way and that the ability to see one's true image objectively takes not only the knowledge of what to look for, but the ability to be openly curious about yourself, thus allowing any and all actions to be viewed as objective clues to the mystery that is you. i really just see it as an on going process that never really stops; writing, movies, music, all can be used as tools of self exploration depending on where our preferences lie, depending on how and what we ask ourselves.

I'm always watching to make sure I'm being as assertive and direct as I think of myself as being.

There's little I hate more than not seeing myself correctly, especially if I'm going to let someone else know about my self-perception.

Sometimes I practice my conversation skills with Bobbot in IRC.
We're becoming quite close.

Really? I find bobbot to be a little standoffish.

Sometimes I practice my conversation skills with Bobbot in IRC.
We're becoming quite close.

Bobbot has seemed awfully lonely at times. It comforts me to know Bobbot has a friend.

Bobbot has seemed awfully lonely at times. It comforts me to know Bobbot has a friend.

I keep trying to take it to another level.
But no success yet ):

How you mock my feelings.. :(

That's the last time I've written a song for you!

I was under the impression that psychopaths don't have feelings..?

I was under the impression that psychopaths don't have feelings..?

Oh yeah, that's right.

I'm sorry, don't mind me, I'll just be rearranging my pile of dead bodies.

dexter20.jpg

Oh yeah, that's right.

I'm sorry, don't mind me, I'll just be rearranging my pile of dead bodies.

dexter20.jpg

Please just clean up well when you're done.