Single mothers devalue fatherhood? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Single mothers devalue fatherhood?

I pretty much agree with the sentiments of the OP... and:

One loving parent is better than two parents who can't get along for five minutes in my opinion.

I don't think that anyone should ever have to "settle" for someone else, and I think that this could be empowering for women.

"Devaluing Fatherhood" or any such nonsense is just that, nonsense. This fear is probably just coming from a man so misogynistic and insecure in himself, and his masculinity, that he's envisioning a world taken over by women, a world where men aren't needed. (His worst nightmare...)

I hate to say it, (and this is coming from a man,) but if you're so afraid of being considered useless, instead of attacking women for empowering themselves for a change, why not just try making yourself more useful?

If you have a kid at 35, you will be 50 when the kid is 15.
That's a big problem, as anyone who can remember being 15 will attest.
My mother was 50 when I was 15. I don't see how that is a big deal at all.

The fact that my father was already 64 at the time might have been more significant.

Yes. That's definitely significant.

The children of Single Mothers whose mothers are abusive have no father to protect them.

Motherhood and fatherhood are both very important and neither should be devalued. With that said, not every mother or father, or pair of mother and father, is ready to raise children. Some are ready at a younger age, some at an older age. Some have other things to take care of and aren't really well-equipped to put their children first.
From what I've seen, families with both a mother and a father are usually better off when it comes to raising children. This isn't to say that single parents cannot handle it, because I have seen some who make excellent parents, just as I have seen parents in nuclear families who weren't so successful. However, naturally, families with a mother and father are usually more successful at raising children.

Last edited: