MBTI
ENTP
Enneagram
Sexy
-Source- With Permission from the Original Article Writer

Shifting From MBTI to JCF: Why?
by simulatedworld
PersonalityNation.com

So the staff has requested that I write out the full case for abandoning the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and moving forward into a typology approach centered primarily around Jungian Cognitive Functions (or JCF, as we have recently--and affectionately--taken to calling it.)

1) Changes in the meaning and interpretation of MBTI type codes:

I have to say this is a topic that hasn't been addressed too much on internet typology forums, and I want to clear up some of the misconceptions involving terminology and so on by suggesting some standards for how to approach Jungian typology in a modern context, without the irritating bipolar dichotomy system upon which MBTI is founded.

"But wait Sim, if you don't like MBTI, why do you use its four-letter type code labels (ENFP, ISTJ, etc.) all the time?"

Well, dear reader whose future thoughts in response to this not-yet-published article I can apparently predict clairvoyantly, I'm glad you asked that question. First and foremost it's important to understand that modern Jungian typology has assimilated MBTI's type labels in reference to various combinations of Jungian Cognitive Functions, and in modern practice most of the better typologists on forums are using these four-letter codes with no intention of referencing MBTI's type profiles.

I feel like nobody has actually consciously pointed this out, and yet it's vital to understanding what's going on in the online typology forum community today. The fact is, it's simply easier to say "ESTP" than "person who prefers extroverted sensing introverted thinking extroverted feeling introverted intuition."

2) The problem with self-report:

Secondly, MBTI is a self-report instrument, which carries a number of obvious inherent flaws. As I've pointed out any number of times by now, self-report tests don't account for that which the test-taker believes erroneously about himself. They can't be counted on to produce accurate results because Jungian functions are, at their core, metaphorical representations of value systems, methods of navigating an approach to understanding the self and its relationship to the outside world.

If you don't understand a certain sort of perspective, a test that evaluates your understanding of that perspective based on your own biased self-description of your understanding of it is not going to generate any sort of meaningful result.

I'm honestly at a loss for why nobody seems to take this into account. You guys obsess over your cognitive functions tests, your Big 5, your MBTI results, your Socionics tests--as if any of it matters to anything! If we're going to do Jung and his work any sort of justice, we have to recognize that psychological type is simply too complex to be tested by a 20-minute multiple choice questionnaire.

3) Psychological type can't be quantified objectively:

Sorry Te doms, I know it's hard for you to place value on anything that can't be objectively measured, but if that's a deal-breaker for you, then your time would likely be more productively spent on something other than Jungian typology. We're not working with science here; we're working with philosophical metaphors, abstract generalized representations of the various kinds of values and self-images people use to construct their identities. That's a REALLY complicated thing to figure out, and it's not going to be solved by a short survey about whether or not you like to organize your desk.

I heard recently about someone claiming to be INTP in Jungian functions and yet ENTJ in MBTI. That may well be true, but the fact that the person who said it found his MBTI test result significant enough to even bother including it in the description in the first place is, unfortunately, highly representative of the vast overemphasis the online type community places on type test results. No multiple choice questionnaire can accurately test your type because you can't accurately or objectively assess your own understanding of perspectives and mindsets you don't understand, and don't even REALIZE you don't understand because you've never experienced them firsthand.

When I mention Jungian typology to most people who aren't familiar with it, but have heard of the MBTI, it's understandable that they wouldn't be aware of what modern typology has done with MBTI's type labels. That's certainly a reasonable mistake, but it's time that this nomenclature discrepancy be cleared up. "I'm ESFP" simply means "I'm an Se dominant with Fi, Te and Ni as my supporting attitudes", not "I use more S than N/more F than T, etc."

4) Too much focus on what, not why:

While we're on that topic, let's consider what MBTI was designed for. Myers and Briggs attempted to borrow (and grossly oversimplify) Jung's ideas in order to design a quick and easy test to help people get an idea of what career path might fit them best. It asks a series of questions about what you do with your life--that was never Jung's focus. He spent the bulk of his career researching subconscious motivations for human psychological needs and value systems: he was after why we think, feel, and behave the way we do.

For instance, why did I use the Oxford comma there? Did I want to impress you all with my sophisticated English? Did I do it just because I am personally irritated by what I see as bad English? Did I do it because having good English is valued among the people I consider peers on this forum? Did I do it because that's what I've always done so it's comfortable? I could have done it for any number of different reasons, likely a combination of several influences from different functional perspectives. If a type test asked me, "Do you use the Oxford comma?", how would that information tell us anything relevant about my value system without knowing why I use it?

The problem with the "what" over "why" approach is that the same action can mean a million different things under different contexts and coming from different people. Functions can't be directly observed; they have to be inferred by collecting a lot of data on a specific person over a lengthy period and coming to know his most treasured values through personal interaction and in-depth analysis of his motivations and viewpoints.

5) Jung's ideas don't translate coherently into bipolar dichotomies or "sliding scales":

That's not even getting into the myriad problems with the entire concept of using bipolar dichotomies to model personality. I get so tired of seeing people post, "Oh well I used to be a J because I used more J than P, but now I am very borderline on P/J because I do less planning", and this is pretty much all thanks to MBTI. When you don't even acknowledge the difference between Se/Si or Ne/Ni or Te/Ti or Fe/Fi, you're missing the fundamental point of what each of those value systems represents.

Just the other day on PersonalityCafe I saw a post where someone claimed that Lady Gaga used to be an ISFP but has "developed into an NFP" because she's learned to think abstractly. This is exactly the kind of crap I'm talking about. That's what happens when an ISFP grows into tertiary Ni--it doesn't mean she is turning into an INFP!

(On a side note, I've seen a lot of talk recently about how "Ne and Ni are really two sides of the same coin", but I think this is a mistake. I think Ne and Ni contradict each other about the way to deal with abstract perceptions--I think Ne and Si are two sides of the same coin, and this is why the two always accompany each other.)

6) MBTI has created numerous misconceptions and erroneous colloquial definitions of Jungian terms:

Anyway, MBTI is also responsible for the misconception that intro/extroversion is based purely on how much social interaction you do. This couldn't be further from the truth. E/I isn't about being social. T/F isn't about being an emotionless prick or an overly sensitive baby. P/J isn't about being messy or neat, and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, S/N is not about seeing "details vs. the big picture."

That last one is possibly the worst thing MBTI has done to Jung's ideas, almost single-handedly. No, you don't need to be an N type to "see the big picture." Hell, you don't even need to be an N type to have a strongly developed iNtuitive function! Which leads into yet another problem...

7) MBTI ignores functional imbalances and mistypes those who emphasize tertiary over secondary:

MBTI doesn't account for dominant/tertiary loops, because it assumes that anyone who accents his N function over his S function must be an N type, etc. This one is really pervasive--some hyper-introverted Ni+Ti INFJ with poorly developed Fe shows up and people say, "OMG HE IS MORE T THAN F, HE MUST BE INTJ", which utterly misses the point and does this person a disservice by mistyping him and falsely attributing a Te attitude to someone whose value system has nothing to do with Te.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: INTJ vs. INFJ isn't about "more T vs. more F"; it's about TeFi vs. FeTi. Until you guys learn this, you are just going to keep plowing into the same wall of misunderstandings and erroneous type reads.

8) There is no objective correctness in philosophy:

So how do you type people, then, if you don't know them in depth? Well see, that's the thing--Jungian type can't be quantified and therefore has no objective definition. Jungian types are rather like "genres" of people, in that there's no way to empirically assess them. They only exist as general, collective understandings among people who have studied them, and different people may disagree about a person's type. Neither is objectively right or wrong. That is the nature of the beast. Reading types is something that happens gradually--the more you've done it, the faster and more accurately you can do it. The more information you obtain on a given person, the more likely your type read is to be accurate. If you're experienced with typology, you can snap type a lot of people with relatively high accuracy, but you're still going to be wrong sometimes--first impressions can be misleading, and there's no simple quick fix in the form of an internet quiz that will settle the momentous question of your identity for you.

If you can't deal with that, forget typology and go work on the hard science of mapping out the entirety of human cognition in quantifiable terms--I imagine you'll figure it out by the year 4,000 or so. Good luck!

Until science completely figures out cognition, however, we're going to have to settle for the imprecise and nebulous nature of philosophy and analytical psychology, which depends heavily on subjective interpretation, and thus can't be tested meaningfully with a simple questionnaire. Don't like it? Don't bother with Jung.

9) MBTI creates erroneous assumptions about surface similarities between people of the same type or similar types:

Another of the more irritating problems is that MBTI results in the erroneous assumption that people of the same type all must behave similarly or possess similar surface preferences, religious/political/social beliefs, etc. I've lost count of how many times I've seen, "But he can't be INTJ, because he doesn't remind me of this other INTJ that I know!" or "There's no way he's INFP, because he's way too rude to me to be an F!" or worse yet, "He can't possibly be an S--he's way too smart!"

That doesn't mean they aren't the same type; it means you haven't yet recognized the similarities between their cognitive approaches because you're too busy focusing on virtually meaningless surface differences.

10) MBTI misrepresents types that share all four function attitudes as "complete opposites" when they are nothing of the sort:

Lastly, MBTI is heavily misleading in its portrayal of types that share zero letters as "opposites." Without JCF, it's impossible to see how ESFJ and INTP could be categorized together--they differ on all four dichotomies, so they must be opposites, right?

Wrong. They also share all four functions attitudes {Fe, Ne, Si, Ti}. They'll probably have trouble getting along earlier in life before their functions are differentiated, but once they grow into their full potential they become, in many respects, far more similar to each other than to types that share one, two, or even three of their MBTI letters.

Generally speaking, I still get along vastly better with ISFJs (with whom I share zero letters) than with ENTJs, with whom I share three. If you don't understand JCF, it's impossible to see why, and it's impossible to have any idea what Jung was talking about or what any of this personality typing stuff is actually about if you still stick to a simplistic system designed to tell you all about your deepest personal values based on a 20-minute internet quiz.

Once again, forget what and focus on why. Once you do that, you'll realize the massive inherent problem with type profiles, start to study Jungian Cognitive Functions, figure out your type and others' types for real, and take off the damn training wheels.

~SW

-Source- With Permission from the Original Article Writer

Last edited:
Intersting article. I like description of how functions are important. They explainsor example a lot. For example, why I get more relaxed conversation with ITSPs than with INFPs. With first one I share first four function.

I would like to rep this 1000 times!!!!

This is the best thing I've read in ages, everyone on this forum, particularly serial "type me" thread starters need to read this.

Most of this confirms what I have been feeling, ever since I started to get into the cognitive processes. I've always been under the idea that the MBTI, using 16 personality types, misrepresents and oversimplifies itself- which has led to the myriad of stereotypes and generalisations. But according to this, it makes sense why, because Isabel Myers designed it that way, considering her use context of use.

That's not even getting into the myriad problems with the entire concept of using bipolar dichotomies to model personality. I get so tired of seeing people post, "Oh well I used to be a J because I used more J than P, but now I am very borderline on P/J because I do less planning", and this is pretty much all thanks to MBTI. When you don't even acknowledge the difference between Se/Si or Ne/Ni or Te/Ti or Fe/Fi, you're missing the fundamental point of what each of those value systems represents.

Oh my god yes! This is a major problem with most people on this forum, trying to decipher between INFJ and INFP. Even before that, I read a few books on the MBTI when I just started out, and they pretty much just focussed on the 4 letter type code, ignoring the CF. The J and P dichotomy always seemed so false and shallow to me. It's amazing that anyone took it seriously, because it was essentially watering down the human personality.

Just the other day on PersonalityCafe I saw a post where someone claimed that Lady Gaga used to be an ISFP but has "developed into an NFP" because she's learned to think abstractly. This is exactly the kind of crap I'm talking about. That's what happens when an ISFP grows into tertiary Ni--it doesn't mean she is turning into an INFP!

+1 to this frustration

MBTI doesn't account for dominant/tertiary loops, because it assumes that anyone who accents his N function over his S function must be an N type, etc. This one is really pervasive--some hyper-introverted Ni+Ti INFJ with poorly developed Fe shows up and people say, "OMG HE IS MORE T THAN F, HE MUST BE INTJ", which utterly misses the point and does this person a disservice by mistyping him and falsely attributing a Te attitude to someone whose value system has nothing to do with Te.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: INTJ vs. INFJ isn't about "more T vs. more F"; it's about TeFi vs. FeTi. Until you guys learn this, you are just going to keep plowing into the same wall of misunderstandings and erroneous type reads.

So true. A few INFJs on here clearly use Ni+Ti combo with weak Fe.

8) There is no objective correctness in philosophy:

So how do you type people, then, if you don't know them in depth? Well see, that's the thing--Jungian type can't be quantified and therefore has no objective definition. Jungian types are rather like "genres" of people, in that there's no way to empirically assess them. They only exist as general, collective understandings among people who have studied them, and different people may disagree about a person's type. Neither is objectively right or wrong. That is the nature of the beast. Reading types is something that happens gradually--the more you've done it, the faster and more accurately you can do it. The more information you obtain on a given person, the more likely your type read is to be accurate. If you're experienced with typology, you can snap type a lot of people with relatively high accuracy, but you're still going to be wrong sometimes--first impressions can be misleading, and there's no simple quick fix in the form of an internet quiz that will settle the momentous question of your identity for you.

If you can't deal with that, forget typology and go work on the hard science of mapping out the entirety of human cognition in quantifiable terms--I imagine you'll figure it out by the year 4,000 or so. Good luck!

Until science completely figures out cognition, however, we're going to have to settle for the imprecise and nebulous nature of philosophy and analytical psychology, which depends heavily on subjective interpretation, and thus can't be tested meaningfully with a simple questionnaire. Don't like it? Don't bother with Jung.

This last bit has put into words what I haven't quite been able to clarify in myself about Jung all this time. This has really helped me to frame approaching people with this. I think it's an important argument considering the psychological types aren't taken seriously because "you can't prove they exist". Even to non-psychologists people are suspicious and think you are talking spiritually or in too abstract a term. I remember I heard a guy comment in a video about how psychology has moved away from a philosophy to a science and that has really taken away from it and I can apply what he meant to this. I think this is what is great about all of Jung's work and which has consequently driven me to understanding his theory of the psyche as a whole.

Four letters are useful in start, but I noticed that with time I get used to think more in function term than in letter term.
Do you find any web site or book specially useful for this?

Functions are main reason why I don't get why my shadow type should be ESTP when in shadow INFJ has ENFP functions...Wich is more correct...

Shadow proceses for INFJ: Ne, Fi, Te,Si, acording to web page about processes

Functions are main reason why I don't get why my shadow type should be ESTP when in shadow INFJ has ENFP functions...Wich is more correct...

You might want to do some research of aspiration function and anima.

INFJs can look very much like ESTPs just through their inferior function.

Their are dom/tert loops, and inferior function blows up.

We

I would recommend anything by Lenore Thompson or Carl Jung himself. Seriously. Same with enneagram. READ BOOKS, then come and discuss them! The discussion that be had will be amazing when people actually start to learn the topics.

Reading Carl Jung directly would be great if it weren't like trying to translate Latin.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
Reading Carl Jung directly would be great if it weren't like trying to translate Latin.

Lawl. My first thought when reading that was 'that sounds like something an INTP would say'. :)

This is the best thing I've read in ages, everyone on this forum, particularly serial "type me" thread starters need to read this.

Yes please, help my eyes stay within their sockets, the constant rolling isn't doing them much good.

Ah, I didn’t think it was that bad. YOu have to drop MBTI from your brain completely first.
:m032:

Ah, I think you misunderstand me. If I'm not mistaken, he's one of the psychologists whose word choice is really klunky due to having been translated from another language. Or maybe he just uses lots of jargon and logically compact language like many philosophers do.

oh man...ok, I will start reading the wall of text now, not that i'm not used to it by now. It seems something I need to prepare myself for. ^_^ Information HERE I COME!

Well, I read the article. I must say that it hurt a little to read :(, very, very objective and no-nonsense, but I'm glad I did. I like that you have found many of the flaws and inconsistencies in MBTI, but in respect to many here on the forums who are not really interested in going super in-depth into Jungian psychology (myself excluded), I'd say that one of the main focuses here on these forums is creating online discussions as a supportive community. While it would be nice if everyone was thoroughly knowledgeable about Jungian psychology, many here are just at the starting stages, so I'm willing to be patient with their developing knowledge of cognition; and can only hope that those who understand better than I can be patient with my own ignorance in the matter. Many of the things you talked about are contrary to what I have spent many hours on learning and building insight for, so learning otherwise... could take some getting used to, to say the least. Especially considering that much of it was stereotypical and/or misleading information *sigh* Either way, I'll remain open to these new perspectives...

One thing that I really appreciated in the article is the idea that because cognition as a science is still in development, type is a very abstract and blurry concept. This always bugged me a bit before, and I'm really trying to come to terms with it. I think that since I've always identified strongly with the stereotypical description of the INFJ, and the cognitive processes associated with it, I wanted to be assured that other people are as strongly introverted (particularly with Ni) as me, and that I could potentially find someone who has similar qualities. Maybe I never will, who knows?

I really like the "why" approach, and have been using it much more than the "what." I had to, because I've been convinced since the start that type does not change. The 'what' often changes over time, but the 'why' usually follows a pattern. I'd like to be able to really understand which motivations result from which cognitive functions. I agree that this is probably one of the best ways to solidly understand your type. Knowing the "why" behind what you do.

Are there any good books about Jungian cognition that you have found particularly helpful? Oh, and also, I couldn't reist asking- as an ENTP, why would you use the Oxford comma? :p

I have been ignoring this long ass article, but I finally read it and am really glad I did. I don't know much about any of this really, so its been as informative as possible for me. Thanks.

It was the JCF that showed me I was an ENFP, not INFJ/INFP. And so glad I did, INFJs are relative buzz kills, and INFPs have shells of lightweight plastic. Not that those are bad mind you, but thats why I realized I wasn't them, but I couldn't figure out which type I was, since I'm decently introverted for an extrovert.

:mk:

Reactions: the
oh man...ok, I will start reading the wall of text now, not that i'm not used to it by now. It seems something I need to prepare myself for. ^_^ Information HERE I COME!

No, a wall of text is a block of text without any paragraphs or decent formatting. This is very well formatted and put together.