Shifting From MBTI to JCF: Why? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Shifting From MBTI to JCF: Why?

Nice article.

We've had discussions about type functions in the past on the board - and even discussions on why your MBTI does not equal behavior (that cognitive function is a *preference*) but I think this is the first time we've had it all in one place.

Thanks!

I can't tell you how many discussions I've had with folks explaining that being messy doesn't mean you're a "P" any more than standing in a garage makes you a car. Or something similar to that effect. :D

Reactions: jn56uytrx
Great Read. ^_^

Iv'e always had a look on all this stuff, similar to what you just said.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blind Bandit
Great Read. ^_^

Iv'e always had a look on all this stuff, similar to what you just said.

[MENTION=3379]Free Mind[/MENTION] did it help you out to see if you are an INFJ or an INFP. If so which do you see as a better fit?

@Free Mind did it help you out to see if you are an INFJ or an INFP. If so which do you see as a better fit?

Well from the definitions of INFJ-P I found on teh interwebs, I can take points from both that suit me well, so there is no type which I lean towards more really, seeming as I havn't been on this forum and learnt an awful much about this personality stuff, I can't really give a judgement I can stick to and be certain.

What I have done mainly with researching this stuff so far, is just looked at each 1 and tried to find things I lack and improve upon that. But after doing these multiple choice question tests, I have come up both INFJ and P so these are the 1's I have looked at most in depth, and also might be a reason why I think I can relate to them the best...I havn't looked in depth at the others really.

Feel free to say anything at all to what I said above...anyway I can improve my understanding will help.

Well from the definitions of INFJ-P I found on teh interwebs, I can take points from both that suit me well, so there is no type which I lean towards more really, seeming as I havn't been on this forum and learnt an awful much about this personality stuff, I can't really give a judgement I can stick to and be certain.

What I have done mainly with researching this stuff so far, is just looked at each 1 and tried to find things I lack and improve upon that. But after doing these multiple choice question tests, I have come up both INFJ and P so these are the 1's I have looked at most in depth, and also might be a reason why I think I can relate to them the best...I havn't looked in depth at the others really.

Feel free to say anything at all to what I said above...anyway I can improve my understanding will help.

I'm talking strictly about this article, not descriptions on the web. While the descriptions online can give a general idea, they do miss important pieces because they rely to much on external manifestations of the cognitive functions (which are not reliable enough to use for everyone). What I am really asking is, based on this article and what other people in this thread have said about it, which side do you see yourself as more. As I said in my previous post, and what others have said, you can not be INFP and INFJ at the same time, as those two types are wildly different on the inside and the way they are wired.

I'm talking strictly about this article, not descriptions on the web. While the descriptions online can give a general idea, they do miss important pieces because they rely to much on external manifestations of the cognitive functions (which are not reliable enough to use for everyone). What I am really asking is, based on this article and what other people in this thread have said about it, which side do you see yourself as more. As I said in my previous post, and what others have said, you can not be INFP and INFJ at the same time, as those two types are wildly different on the inside and the way they are wired.

So your saying I can't be INFP-J only 1 of the other?

Not able to have a little bit of this, a little bit of that?

This is why im still a little confused at how to 'type' myself.

I guess i don't really sway in any particular direction, maybe because I havn't looked 'intensly' at it.

Last edited:
So your saying I can only be 1 type?

Not able to have a little bit of this, a little bit of that?

This is why im still a little confused at how to 'type' myself.

It is absolutely impossible, in every way, to be both types. You are one mbti type and only one mbti type, no if's and's or but's. this is exactly what the article was saying. You should re-read the article then, as it hits this point several times, and it is an important concept to understand when it comes to mbti.

Let's look at the functions. There are 8 cognitive functions total within the theory. Ni, Ne, Fi, Fe, Ti, Te, Si, and Se. Each one of the 16 personality types has four main functions that they have conscious control over, and 4 functions that are "unconscious" or unused. I understand that this might feel a little awkward and "wrong" but this is how the theory is worded, and it must be understood and accepted in order for the theory to work. For an INFP, their function order is Fi>Ne>Si>Te. They have conscious control over those four functions in that order. Where as, an INFJ has their function order as Ni>Fe>Ti>Se. The other four functions that the INFP does not use, and visa versa. These two types are wired to think and function in very very different ways, despite being off by a single letter.

They might appear similar on the surface for a short while, but in reality, they are extremely different, as the article explains. You can't be more then one type, because it completely invalidates the functional prefrences of the theory.

It is absolutely impossible, in every way, to be both types. You are one mbti type and only one mbti type, no if's and's or but's. this is exactly what the article was saying. You should re-read the article then, as it hits this point several times, and it is an important concept to understand when it comes to mbti.

Let's look at the functions. There are 8 cognitive functions total within the theory. Ni, Ne, Fi, Fe, Ti, Te, Si, and Se. Each one of the 16 personality types has four main functions that they have conscious control over, and 4 functions that are "unconscious" or unused. I understand that this might feel a little awkward and "wrong" but this is how the theory is worded, and it must be understood and accepted in order for the theory to work. For an INFP, their function order is Fi>Ne>Si>Te. They have conscious control over those four functions in that order. Where as, an INFJ has their function order as Ni>Fe>Ti>Se. The other four functions that the INFP does not use, and visa versa. These two types are wired to think and function in very very different ways, despite being off by a single letter.

They might appear similar on the surface for a short while, but in reality, they are extremely different, as the article explains. You can't be more then one type, because it completely invalidates the functional prefrences of the theory.

Thanks. ;)

http://jamesbkim.com/content/definition-cognitive-functions

Does that explain the 8 cognitive functions well?

Or do you have a better link.

Judged by that, I am more INFJ.

Thanks. ;)

http://jamesbkim.com/content/definition-cognitive-functions

Does that explain the 8 cognitive functions well?

Or do you have a better link.

That's a good rough overview. Honestly, this article that Limit posted walks through each of the functions quite well and explains them on a basic level, also how each one is particularry used in each type. Functions stand alone are a bit tricky to grasp because never actually work completely alone. Again, you need to read this article through carefully.

That's a good rough overview. Honestly, this article that Limit posted walks through each of the functions quite well and explains them on a basic level, also how each one is particularry used in each type. Functions stand alone are a bit tricky to grasp because never actually work completely alone. Again, you need to read this article through carefully.

Ya, I normally need to read these type of in depth articles a few times before fully grasping it, thanks for clearing a few things up though.

Hey Limit, how many different forums
are you going to post this on in order
to help your friend gain recognition?

I'm really curious.

Reactions: invisible
Hey Limit, how many different forums
are you going to post this on in order
to help your friend gain recognition?

I'm really curious.

Well he could always post some different articles; do you disagree with the content?

Limit, I would just like to say I love you. :D you worded my frustration very effectively, and you even used the same sarcastic tone I would have <3 Also, my Ti is more developed than my Fe, so yeah, I do type iNtj a lot, just like you said, and you're absolutely right about people not paying enough attention to the functions associated with types... and our natural lack of objectivity and tendency to bend our responses to match our ideals... Thanks :p

Limit, I would just like to say I love you. :D you worded my frustration very effectively, and you even used the same sarcastic tone I would have <3 Also, my Ti is more developed than my Fe, so yeah, I do type iNtj a lot, just like you said, and you're absolutely right about people not paying enough attention to the functions associated with types... and our natural lack of objectivity and tendency to bend our responses to match our ideals... Thanks :p

It was SimulatedWorld who wrote the article. I just brought it here because I thought it would be a great help to everyone studying MBTI.

If you enjoyed this thread you might also enjoy the discussion on intpf: http://intpforum.com/showthread.php?t=9155

Gah, that thread got RIDICULOUS. Adymus and SimulatedWorld like to post libraries.

Reactions: IndigoSensor
So it is not about the test but about the ordinary people making false interpretations

I don't know, MBTI test really helped me a lot understanding myself. It was like finally the light has shone in the dark tunnel.