Sh** tests | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Sh** tests

We humans have two opposing social systems called ranking and linking. Ranking is determining social status though competing and comparing. Linking is bonding, liking, getting to know someone, meet their needs. (The words speak for themselves.) Both have their place and are fine when used for their intended purpose. The modes are mutually exclusive, when one is on the other is off and vice versa.
Also, when we can't utilize one system, we only have the other to fall back on.
That's important because we seem to be in a link deficient society. I can only speculate what caused that, and I will if people deem it relevant, but it's not important for this point.

Ranking is directly tied to our self-esteem. If someone's self-esteem isn't affected by your attempt to lower their rank by treating them like garbage, they have proven themselves to be of a higher rank than you, and hence they're 'attractive'. That's the shit-test and passing the shit-test in a nutshell.

This thread looks like it sucks, so I'm not going to read through it all.

But as far as shit tests and negging and all that, some of it (obviously not all) is flirting and creating sex tension, no? Do people not hook up anymore after fighting and insulting each other as a weird form of foreplay? I remember endless times talking to girls where we'd be pushing each other verbally and even physically sometimes. It was all childish bullshit of course -- we were basically having a conflict over "no, you wanna fuck me more than I want to fuck you."

In fact, I remember one time I got into that with a girl at the mall and she literally pointed to my friend standing next to me and listed everything about him that she liked more. "He's cuter than you", "You seem like his little brother", "your nose is crooked", etc. I played along with it and gave her shit too, but I knew what was really going on. She wanted to feel resistance instead of collapse. It's normal. I want that myself sometimes. It also reminds you there's a real person with wit and a strong sense of self, and who doesn't want that?

Of course, I'm older now and have been out of the game for years so I might just be talking about a bygone era.

Is it really a trend, though? I've only ever heard of the 'shit test' in the context of bullying or ranking behavior.

I'm not saying that there aren't women who do this (there are a lot of dating guides out there and I can see how this psychology would slot in) but it just seems so incongruous with the general mood I've seen on social media lately. The trending discussions I see most often is women being averse to catcalling and pick-up artistry and citing examples of over-insistent men trying to pick them up when they want to be left the eff alone. As such, I can't see this kind of behavior being cited as socially acceptable as that would only encourage men to keep making unwanted advances by mistaking them for shit tests.

Skimming both articles, they kind of remind me of that terribly misguided 'How to Pick up Women Wearing Headphones' thing that was trending a few years back (which basically boiled down to 'harass her until she capitulates to your demands') Maybe this is the next headphone guide?

Or maybe I'm just grossly out of touch.

edit: I can spell, I swear

Last edited:
Man...

I'm over hook-up culture, promiscuity, and just trying to get into women's pants. Just go to church, find a nice woman, get married, and start a family.

If you're having problems with toxic women, you're going to all of the wrong places to find a wife.

Date intentionally- go to church, ask a woman out, and tell her that you love her.

Man...

I'm over hook-up culture, promiscuity, and just trying to get into women's pants. Just go to church, find a nice woman, get married, and start a family.

If you're having problems with toxic women, you're going to all of the wrong places to find a wife.

Date intentionally- go to church, ask a woman out, and tell her that you love her.
Amen.

No seriously. Women do this? This is juvenile. If men did this to me, there's no way I won't burn their souls to hell. It sounds like the kind of stuff only seven year olds do. Or twelve years old. Maximum.

If people actually did it, I think it speaks a lot about their maturity and that is a serious red flag. Being silly is an entirely different world from whatever that is. I mean juvenile is okay and cute under the right contexts but not in the long term.

Yes but now you've stated the importance of this element to me directly, in an open way.
I think it's more socially acceptable for women to test men, and men to test men.
I could venture a guess, which is something along the lines of building social capital.
But I don't give a fuck about this topic, I only give a fuck about you and the people here on an individual basis.
Seems like a thread designed to disparage women, disguised as intellectual curiosity.

I am guessing it's just a natural dynamic born out of some psychological needs.
It has something to do with "play" and how we are raised learning how to play, or not.
Strong point.

Is it really a trend, though? I've only ever heard of the 'shit test' in the context of bullying or ranking behavior.

I'm not saying that there aren't women who do this (there are a lot of dating guides out there and I can see how this psychology would slot in) but it just seems so incongruous with the general mood I've seen on social media lately. The trending discussions I see most often is women being averse to catcalling and pick-up artistry and citing examples of over-insistent men trying to pick them up when they want to be left the eff alone. As such, I can't see this kind of behavior being cited as socially acceptable as that would only encourage men to keep making unwanted advances by mistaking them for shit tests.

Skimming both articles, they kind of remind me of that terribly misguided 'How to Pick up Women Wearing Headphones' thing that was trending a few years back (which basically boiled down to 'harass her until she capitulates to your demands') Maybe this is the next headphone guide?

Robbing banks is the fastest way of earning money because we're evolutionarily programmed to Rob Banks*, and bank tellers and cashiers are evolutionarily programmed to respond to the 'bank-robbing' behaviour of the Bank robber. If you don't believe me, just look at the evidence: bank robbers are able to acquire more money in a single night that most guys go in a year.

P.S. Who the fuck is Rob Banks? Thanks, autocorrect :tearsofjoy:

Robbing banks is the fastest way of earning money because we're evolutionarily programmed to Rob Banks*, and bank tellers and cashiers are evolutionarily programmed to respond to the 'bank-robbing' behaviour of the Bank robber. If you don't believe me, just look at the evidence: bank robbers are able to acquire more money in a single night that most guys go in a year.

Strong point

Seems like a thread designed to disparage women, disguised as intellectual curiosity.

You're not wrong

This thread looks like it sucks, so I'm not going to read through it all.

But as far as shit tests and negging and all that, some of it (obviously not all) is flirting and creating sex tension, no? Do people not hook up anymore after fighting and insulting each other as a weird form of foreplay? I remember endless times talking to girls where we'd be pushing each other verbally and even physically sometimes. It was all childish bullshit of course -- we were basically having a conflict over "no, you wanna fuck me more than I want to fuck you."

In fact, I remember one time I got into that with a girl at the mall and she literally pointed to my friend standing next to me and listed everything about him that she liked more. "He's cuter than you", "You seem like his little brother", "your nose is crooked", etc. I played along with it and gave her shit too, but I knew what was really going on. She wanted to feel resistance instead of collapse. It's normal. I want that myself sometimes. It also reminds you there's a real person with wit and a strong sense of self, and who doesn't want that?

Of course, I'm older now and have been out of the game for years so I might just be talking about a bygone era.

That era is alive and well, my friend

Attached is the trend of the search term "Shit Test" since 2004. There is a positive, loose correlation based simply on time as a determinant as evidenced by the r square 39.5

I guarantee one could come up with other hypotheses of recent social phenomena to correlate it's rise as a "trend"

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 5.37.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 5.37.50 AM.png
    164.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Attached is the trend of the search term "Shit Test" since 2004. There is positive, loose correlation based simply on using time as a determinant as evidenced by the r square 39.5

I guarantee one could come up with other hypotheses of recent social phenomena to correlate it's rise as a "trend"

First few I checked show some correlation...

Point is this can be explained through study and intellectual curiosity by further refining study parameters, data collection and experiments

Anyone looking for a thesis topic in feminism, sociology or psychology: here's an idea

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 5.56.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 5.56.26 AM.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 6.04.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 6.04.35 AM.png
    58.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited: