Scared of ghosts? | INFJ Forum

Scared of ghosts?

Soulful

life is good
Nov 18, 2008
MBTI
I'm actually really scared of them. Terrified, in fact, if I think one could be present. My body literally tenses and I start to feel panicky (which is uncommon for me). It's mostly my imagination I think. It usually happens if I wig myself out when I'm by myself during the night rather than because I'm sensing someone, and I've never encountered a ghost. I haven't figured out why I'm this scared, and how to not be. Does anyone else get scared?

Add me to the list. I think it has to do with watching a lot of scary movies and tv shows. Maybe they just have a bad reputation.

I don't get scared....I have a pretty friendly relationship with the world beyond and spend a good bit of time in the metaphysical world. I find it rather homey and tend to gravitate towards the more thin boundaries. Once the rules are understood a bit, it's not all that intimidating...or foreign.

That said, I don't seek out otherworldly encounters if curiosity or fascination with the bizarre is at work. Proper respect is due even in these situations.

Last edited:
I am not afraid...

I have been hurt before by them...but I am not scared...I have had to face too many to fear them

I don't get scared....I have a pretty friendly relationship with the world beyond and spend a good bit of time in the metaphysical world. I find it rather homey and tend to gravitate towards the more thin boundaries. Once the rules are understood a bit, it's not all that intimidating...or foreign.

The thing is, I spend a lot (A LOT) of time thinking about a world 'beyond' and long ago accepted a world that I can't see/hear. I have no problem thinking about ghosts or knowing that they're real. It's when I consider that they may present that I get terrified. It freaks me out. And that's bewildering to me, because I don't see a reason to be afraid and I actually want to be comfortable with it.

I am not afraid...

I have been hurt before by them...but I am not scared...I have had to face too many to fear them

:m196: I remember reading some of your posts in the 'ghost stories' thread. Was there ever a time when you were scared? like when you first sensed that they were there or were younger?

Last edited:
I tend to not believe in the supernatural or spiritual realm.. and yet I am afraid of spirits... Maybe I just talk big. I get strange feelings at night, as if I am not alone or being watched. I did not used to get these feelings.

I chalk it up to stress, and using anything to avert my mind from the real issues at hand. I figure my active mind/imagination is inventing impossible problems to distract me from the real ones.

I don't see a reason to be afraid and I actually want to be comfortable with it.
One gets more comfortable over time I think. The more one learns...not just about one part of the spirit world, but all of it...the more things make sense. I would fully expect to be somewhat caught off guard by a real-life encounter, that seems fair, but adding significant other input to our awareness does help us deal with a more complete set of "givens" rather than just fear.

This is tricky business though...things are not always as they appear.

:m196: I remember reading some of your posts in the 'ghost stories' thread. Was there ever a time when you were scared? like when you first sensed that they were there or were younger?

no...when I was a kid...I played with them...I have never been scared of them...but they have always just been there...so like people I learned to tell them when they overstepped their bounds

I tend to not believe in the supernatural or spiritual realm.. and yet I am afraid of spirits... Maybe I just talk big. I get strange feelings at night, as if I am not alone or being watched. I did not used to get these feelings.

I chalk it up to stress, and using anything to avert my mind from the real issues at hand. I figure my active mind/imagination is inventing impossible problems to distract me from the real ones.
I know what you're saying. Kinda like when you turn off all the lights and you're walking down the hallway to your bedroom, and you feel as if something is watching you from behind.

Maybe I'm just crazy, but that basically sums up my experience with 'ghosts' 'spirits' or 'aliens'. It can be pretty darn terrifying at the time, and for no reason at all.

I think you're right. It probably has something to do with stress.

If you're in the dark, your body is naturally signalling you to be more alert and cautious.. Your heart rate speeds up and you get tense, so that if there is a monster somewhere you will have the energy to escape. Body reacts to stress the same way

I don't believe in spooks, I don't I don't I don't

I do not fear ghosts because they do not exist. I know that many people find this offensive. The fact remains, if there were such a thing as ghosts and their presence could be sensed by humans then an experimental trial could and would have been conceived and executed to determine the truth of their existence. Why is this such an alien concept?

Hasn't there always been experiments ?

There are photos, videos ..

If you are thinking of maybe some kind of chamber where you could catch one and keep one in, that doesn't work since they are not solid.. They are spirits..

Photos, videos, and audio are not empirical nor repeatable evidence.

Neutrinos are not solid; hasn't prevented us from observing their existence.
Can't say the same about "spirits".

And to a degree, there indeed have "always been experiments".
As to the results of said (legitimate) experiments, let's just say, they're uniform.

Last edited:
no conclusive scientific evidence

Hasn't there always been experiments ?

There are photos, videos ..

If you are thinking of maybe some kind of chamber where you could catch one and keep one in, that doesn't work since they are not solid.. They are spirits..

Please, honestly there is no conclusive scientific evidence supporting ghost, ufos, esp, telekinesis, or astral projection. Can we stop pretending that these things are simply a matter of personal belief?

Can we stop pretending that these things are simply a matter of personal belief?
There are well documented occurances that defy explanation. Just because science has no way to replicate or measure such things does not mean it did not happen. Our science simply does not reach that far.

BS

There are well documented occurances that defy explanation. Just because science has no way to replicate or measure such things does not mean it did not happen. Our science simply does not reach that far.

That is a very considered opinion. Thank you for adding to a thoughtful discussion.