Is religion is anti-truth?

• yes

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • no

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • other

Votes: 16 38.1%

• Total voters
Religion is bullshit. Have a good day...all the ones that have fallen for the greatest scam in the history of mankind.

You say that as though all religions constitute one big scam to be dismissed as bullshit, despite the fact that so many arose and evolved independently.

I'm more of the opinion that religion is a natural consequence of human psychology.

What if it's telling you you are doing it wrong because you are?

If God made me the way I am (agnostic) then thats just the way it has to be. I don't believe hell is my destiny, God wont punish my agnosticism.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5iFIO00Yrk"]YouTube - Listen To Your Heart - D.H.T[/ame]

Well who says God made you agnostic? If you started out as a Christian, could it stand to reason that God 'made' you a Christian, and you show to dismiss him and be agnostic?

Well who says God made you agnostic? If you started out as a Christian, could it stand to reason that God 'made' you a Christian, and you show to dismiss him and be agnostic?

I stopped being a Christian when I was 12. Christians should feel loved by God. I felt the opposite, I feared him immensely. I was afraid every time I went to church. I am no longer afraid of that God. He is only one possible version of the Christian God. I did not become agnostic to dismiss God. I did it because I wanted to stop being afraid. I stopped believing God hated me. I stopped believing I was going to hell. Perhaps I'm wrong. I can never be 100% certain. I'll know when I die.

I stopped being a Christian when I was 12. Christians should feel loved by God. I felt the opposite, I feared him immensely. I was afraid every time I went to church. I am no longer afraid of that God. He is only one possible version of the Christian God. I did not become agnostic to dismiss God. I did it because I wanted to stop being afraid. I stopped believing God hated me. I stopped believing I was going to hell. Perhaps I'm wrong. I can never be 100% certain. I'll know when I die.

So you're openly acknowledging ignoring God hoping he will go away? Nothing personal, but God isn't about to stop existing because you asked nicely.

Hopefully before then...what gave you the idea that God hated you?

So you're openly acknowledging ignoring God hoping he will go away? Nothing personal, but God isn't about to stop existing because you asked nicely.

I never asked God to stop existing. I just consider the possibility of his non-existence. If I can experience God as he truly is then I will believe in him regardless of what religion he is in charge of. I have been practicing meditation lately, its hard work but if it can help me find the truth about God it will be worth it.

Why try meditation when you can download a bible for free online? I'll be honest, I'm not trying to ostracize you, or make you feel petty, but again, it seems like you are just looking for excuses.

Dude, I kid you not, I totally cussed out this granny driving 35 on the highway in the 65mph zone. I knew it was a sin, and consciously defied God. However, he still loves me. I realized I was being a dick, and apologized.

Masturbation

I new it was wrong and did it anyway.

Everybody's got something.

Did you ever talk to a pastor about it?

The Christian concept of sin is that it separates the individual from God. Because God, by His nature, cannot associate with it. It is not out of hate, but simply cannot happen. The way through this is faith in Jesus Christ. His death and resurrection on the cross covers the sin, and makes the person pure before God. No sin can separate a person from God, the one thing He asks is for the person to put all their faith and trust in Him, and to give Him their life. With that comes personal friendship with God Himself. The desire to sin is gone and you become a new person.

It comes down to perhaps the most well-known verse in the Bible, John 3:16

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life."

That applies to anybody who does what needs to be done and follows Christ.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stu
Why try meditation when you can download a bible for free online? I'll be honest, I'm not trying to ostracize you, or make you feel petty, but again, it seems like you are just looking for excuses.

I could no more interpret the Bible correctly than I could interpret the Koran correctly.
By meditating I think I could talk to God directly, then he could tell me which religious texts to read.

Last edited:
Reactions: IndigoSensor
Praying is so much easier than meditating, just my two cents

Everybody's got something.

Did you ever talk to a pastor about it?

I talked to a youth pastor. He told me it wasn't that big of a deal.

The Christian concept of sin is that it separates the individual from God. Because God, by His nature, cannot associate with it. It is not out of hate, but simply cannot happen. The way through this is faith in Jesus Christ. His death and resurrection on the cross covers the sin, and makes the person pure before God. No sin can separate a person from God, the one thing He asks is for the person to put all their faith and trust in Him, and to give Him their life. With that comes personal friendship with God Himself. The desire to sin is gone and you become a new person.

Reading a book about Abraham Lincoln does not mean I have a personal friendship with him. I would need a spiritual connection of Jesus to know if he's their or not. I would need to feel his presence to know he exists. Thats Why I am meditating, to see if I can form such a connection. Without such a connection my prayers would be empty words of hypocrisy.

Reading a book about Abraham Lincoln does not mean I have a personal friendship with him. I would need a spiritual connection of Jesus to know if he's their or not. I would need to feel his presence to know he exists. Thats Why I am meditating, to see if I can form such a connection. Without such a connection my prayers would be empty words of hypocrisy.

Well, hopefully that goes well for you, and you find the truth you are seeking.

Just to add on to the conversation, Prayer is one of the personal connections Christians have to Christ. Reading scripture is one way to learn about him but prayer helps get to know him. Another way of getting to know him is to emulate him, it's a combination of these things and personal revelation that brings us closer to God and Jesus.

Praying is so much easier than meditating, just my two cents

And because it is easier it is better and more enlightning? If that is the case I strongly disagree.

On the subject of what happens in the brain during meditation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_on_meditation

I also saw a BBC documentary just a couple of days ago that mentioned MRI scans have shown that, during meditation, blood flow to the Temporal lobe drops quite dramatically. Part of the temporal lobe's function involves our ability to perceive, name, and categorise "things" (including ourselves), and so the reduced blood flow results in a reduction in our sense of self and the things around us as being separate and individual "things". Apparently they've observed a similar reduction in blood flow to the temporal lobe when Nuns pray.

Urtehnoes said:
But besides that, most of the CHristian laws are one that everyone else follows. (example: don't steal, cheat, lie, bitch, snitch, hit, have greed etc.) The two big exceptions are abortion, and evolution/big bang.

There are plenty of Christians who believe in evolution and the Big Bang. I imagine these are the Christians who don't think the Bible should be interpreted as a natural history textbook.

Last edited:
And because it is easier it is better and more enlightning? If that is the case I strongly disagree.

Prayer and meditation serve very different function, not entirely sure why they are being compared in first place. Christian going through Buddhist meditation aren't going to find God, at least not through the meditation.

Prayer and meditation serve very different function, not entirely sure why they are being compared in first place. Christian going through Buddhist meditation aren't going to find God, at least not through the meditation.

How do you know this? What do you think meditation is?