Relationship "terms/titles" | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Relationship "terms/titles"

I like to think of a lover as sort of a secret affair. Boyfriend is just that...but at 41 I feel ridiculous telling people I have a boyfriend (even though he is only 27). I can't stand to hear someone refer to their significant other as their old man or old lady. Hearing someone say my man or my woman brings up some kind of carnal tingliness in me though.

As far as pet names go, my bf and I like to just throw out whatever comes to mind. Love you monkey lips or talk to you later sugar booger. Stupid stuff like that. Its fun.

I pretty much agree with the definitions already said (I only skimmed, in case there was a disagreement, I think Shai said it best, minus the rape). However, I'm really ok being in relationship as described as "boyfriends." However, I must express my contempt for the term "partner." It seems to be a term used exclusively for homosexuals, and it therefore implies that a homosexual relationship is distinctly different from a heterosexual one. Also, with SO, I'm ok with this term as a gender-neutral term for use in discussion of general terms, but I don't think I'll ever introduce someone as my SO.

Partner is used here for heterosexual relationships as well.

A partner is someone who has your back though.
Starsky? HE had a partner.
Cagney? HE had a partner.
Gorsky? HE had a partner.

Just because you're fucking someone, doesn't make them your partner.

In the gay community, "partner" is synonymous with Significant Other.

well, your rant's stepping on my rant. :m181:

I just use whatever sounds right and not worry about it.
Posted via Mobile Device

[quote=N

hmmm, i used to be obsessed with labels but they kept presenting problems for me because the other person i was with was unwilling to define the relationship.

anyways, while i have stopped labeling relationships..i haven't stopped labeling everything else. hahah it's very compulsive, really.