Regarding forum conflicts (please read) | Page 9 | INFJ Forum

Regarding forum conflicts (please read)

You can't bluff me. I've been at this far longer than you have. But that's ok, I'll let you go.

I am not entirely sure what I am trying to bluff, but I think you need to stop using my age/experience against my arguments which are perfectly valid. I would have thought given the previous discussion, you'd understand the logical fallacy in that statement. And, for the record, I choose to come and go when I please. Not when you tell me to.

Reactions: Free
I am not entirely sure what I am trying to bluff, but I think you need to stop using my age/experience against my arguments which are perfectly valid. I would have thought given the previous discussion, you'd understand the logical fallacy in that statement. And, for the record, I choose to come and go when I please. Not when you tell me to.

Ok, I'll be direct then. You are wrong, don't know what you're talking about, and you're trying to cover it up by saying you "disagree".

Reductio ad absurdum is ancient and very well established. You can't just interpret it your own way and call it a disagreement.

Ok, I'll be direct then. You are wrong, don't know what you're talking about, and you're trying to cover it up by saying you "disagree".

Reductio ad absurdum is ancient and very well established. You can't just interpret it your own way and call it a disagreement.

It is also used as a fallacy. By-definition, a technique can be used in different ways, but Reductio ad Absurdum is rarely used to conclude something logically valid, in my opinion. Yes, we're speaking of opinions, therefore I am not covering anything up. There is no conspiracy here. I just have a different perspective than you do, and you're trying to tell me that I am wrong. Not everyone is going to think exactly as you do. Again, I am sorry to disappoint.

Reactions: Free
It is also used as a fallacy. By-definition, a technique can be used in different ways, but Reductio ad Absurdum is rarely used to conclude something logically valid, in my opinion. Yes, we're speaking of opinions, therefore I am not covering anything up. There is no conspiracy here. I just have a different perspective than you do, and you're trying to tell me that I am wrong. Not everyone is going to think exactly as you do. Again, I am sorry to disappoint.

Any argument that is fallacious can be reduced to being absurd so are you saying that all fallacies are reductio ad absurdum?

I can tell you why God of the gaps is not reductio ad absurdum - it's because being absurd is not what makes it invalid.

God of the gaps is essentially "We don't know how this works, therefore it was God" which does sound absurd, but absurdity itself doesn't actually prove that the argument is invalid. You can look at the contents of the argument itself and already see that the conclusion does not necessarily follow the premise. You don't have to reduce it to absurdity to prove it.

Reductio ad absurdum is a process to show a conclusion that might not be immediately apparent. e.g. some people have argued that EM waves are like sound waves in that they are vibrations and can vibrate matter, and cause earth quakes and stuff. This might seem plausible until we look at the fact that the environment is FULL of radio waves bouncing all over the place. Satellite tv, cell phones, GPS, radar, radios, Wi Fi... If radio waves caused vibrations we would all be shaken to death.

This is why it is important to distinguish reductio ad absurdum and not just let it be any argument that seems absurd.

And seriously, when is any opinion NOT ok? EVERYONE can try to escape by saying "Well that's just my opinion! I can interpret it this way if I want to!"

"Get out of argument free" card.

[MENTION=6917]sprinkles[/MENTION]

What'd I miss?

Just the usual pointless exercises which I somehow feel obligated to perform even though I get nothing out of it.

Just because something seems pointless or we cannot discern the importance doesn't mean it is that way. I very much value your point of view which is why I asked you for yours. I understand if you don't want to share it though.

[MENTION=13855]JJJA[/MENTION]

What about you? Willing to get me up to speed?

Recently there has been some disputed conflicts, and in most cases I understand why these things are debated - there are often very fundamental ideas colliding. With many people here being Ni users a lot of people will be very set in their ways and maybe you feel like you need to push it onto others to really get to them, but are you really getting much out of it?

I don't mean to say that there shouldn't be any debates, I think it is very important to have open discussions on various matters, but I think it is important to be mindful of how you go about it. A lot of the time I feel like arguments aren't held in an open manner. I get that you don't want to budge on your own moral ideals etc., but not giving room for the others breeds a very hostile environment. Even when you're in the right.

I know that it isn't always appreciated when I butt in like this, and I don't mean to rant, but I feel like it often gets much more hostile than it needs to be, and I think it can be discouraging to people. There is more that could be said about this, but I'm wondering - is this really where we want the forum to be?

I apologize for the directed question, but I personally think we could be doing so much better without giving up much.

This is in reply to the original poster as I haven't read all the posts in this thread.

I think this forum is going in the wrong direction, the moderator's function (in my opinion) should not be to close a thread that doesn't suit his own taste (like he did with the transgenders thread) but he should only make sure that 1-nobody hurl personal insults at the others, or 2-makes fun of other people's beliefs.

Unfortunately this forum is full of these two specific issues, at least within the threads I contributed in, some people here have no problem making fun of God or Jesus or religion, they seem to see it as OK since the Christians here are not as vocal or mean enough to counter their insults and mocking.

Also some posters use insults to silence viewpoints that goes against their lifestyles, and the funny thing is they call what I posted about gays hate speech and insulting when they themselves have been hurling insults at me all the time! I am not offended at all by the personal attacks and I usually ignore them, it's just a pity they are hurting themselves that way, hurling insults at others can be a very effective way at distracting yourself from the real discussion points, it numbs your mind, so instead of countering a fact with a fact, you feel superior and untouchable by using those insults, usually it backfires though.

It is the easiest thing to hurl insults at a person, but the most difficult thing to confront the message itself.

Some personal-attack examples that have been directed at me:

-Why do you care so much about the stupid shit stupid people say?(he's talking about me!) Shouldn't it just be self evident that dumb people say dumb things?
-He's a nobody who's going to harm nobody.
-He just wanted to be a shitstain on the forum, but that doesn't mean I can't do a little bit of cleaning up on my own does it?
-You really ARE mentally incompetent, aren't you?
-You said that it's an easy choice, not me, you idiot.
-Maybe you should either quit fucking lying or pick your words more carefully so you don't go insulting people with how unbelievably stupid you are.

fencecat.jpg

[MENTION=14048]amad[/MENTION]

That's right. I did unto you as you did unto others. If those are my beliefs and I'm just expressing my opinion, it becomes exactly the same as you do when you accuse homosexuals of child molestation. I was justified in doing so.

[video=youtube;cYP1MlDGfUE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYP1MlDGfUE[/video]

This is in reply to the original poster as I haven't read all the posts in this thread.

I think this forum is going in the wrong direction, the moderator's function (in my opinion) should not be to close a thread that doesn't suit his own taste (like he did with the transgenders thread) but he should only make sure that 1-nobody hurl personal insults at the others, or 2-makes fun of other people's beliefs.

Unfortunately this forum is full of these two specific issues, at least within the threads I contributed in, some people here have no problem making fun of God or Jesus or religion, they seem to see it as OK since the Christians here are not as vocal or mean enough to counter their insults and mocking.

Also some posters use insults to silence viewpoints that goes against their lifestyles, and the funny thing is they call what I posted about gays hate speech and insulting when they themselves have been hurling insults at me all the time! I am not offended at all by the personal attacks and I usually ignore them, it's just a pity they are hurting themselves that way, hurling insults at others can be a very effective way at distracting yourself from the real discussion points, it numbs your mind, so instead of countering a fact with a fact, you feel superior and untouchable by using those insults, usually it backfires though.

It is the easiest thing to hurl insults at a person, but the most difficult thing to confront the message itself.

Some personal-attack examples that have been directed at me:

fencecat.jpg

Dude, I gave you all kind of links and facts to read. What you gave me in return were opinion pieces and various biblical interpretations.
You linked me to a twins study…which is actually one of the studies done that show you were incorrect.
People didn’t have a problem with what you were saying, but with how you were saying it.
I asked you for links and factual information of which I received none.
And instead of reading the actual scientific links that were provided you flat out ignored that they were even included in the post.
A religious website is not a scientific website, it’s biased.
YOU are entitled to your own personal religious beliefs and morals, however; YOU cannot force those beliefs on anyone else in this country…move to Saudi Arabia if you wish to do that.
That is why people dislike you, not because we’re all the one’s with serious communication issues.
Look in the mirror Sir.

oh I forgot to mention one more thing, nobody should use "people here dislike you" and I have heard it many times in the short time I was here!.

Nobody hired anybody else here to speak for them as far as I know.

Another superiority complex, too sad.

[MENTION=14048]amad[/MENTION]

There is one thing I can agree with you on though. I do agree that that thread shouldn't have been closed because more established members like Lerxst and just me have the right to share their opinions. You, though, are more likely to be banned for trolling. Those others members have participated in other threads and shared redeemable, positive values with us, while you have not.