Reality is Perception | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Reality is Perception

We all share this experiential existence.
We all have blood flowing through our veins.
We all share the elements, water, air, earth, fire.

We share reality.
Perception is dependent on the perceiver.

We share the chance to live with integrity or not.

We share the chance to seek truth or to not.

One mans true reality might seem truly delusional to another.

Reality may change if our perception may change.

As individuals we project the awareness we are into reality.

We should be careful when we judge others.
We should be careful not to be so proud.

If you perceive you are not falling into an erupting volcano as for all other intents and purposes you are falling into an erupting volcano...

The issue heats up beyond the point of the person experiencing it being able to produce a counter-argument.

Reality isn't so human centric as to depend on perception. Which is a different issue to our understanding of reality or our thoughts on reality.

I am convinced reality minus all humans would exist, because human species-ism didn't manage to turn the actual globe into a disk on a giant flying space turtle or lead into gold.

Impossible: A square circle is really impossible.

Kind of made me imagine a bunch of squares arranged in a circle formation... a square circle.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimtaylor
Quantum mechanics does not say that reality doesn't exist without consciousness

It says reality is doing something different when we aren't looking at it. We therefore don't know what it is doing when we aren't looking at it. But it IS doing something

Belief is very powerful. In many instances what we believe will happen will happen. What we believe is true is true. But not in every instance. It all boils down to the placebo effect. Our beliefs influence our perception of reality but they absolutely do not define reality

If you believe you are ill, this will probably cause you to feel ill as how you feel can be influenced by the placebo effect. If you believe the earth is flat that will not change the shape of the earth as the shape of the earth cannot be influenced by the placebo effect

Our perceptions are our realities but not reality itself.

Believing an apple is a ladder will not turn the apple into a ladder but you will percieve it as such. This is an important distinction. Our beliefs are assumptions based on previous assumptions and therefore flawed

We do not know what reality is, only what our perceptions assume about reality

Rather. Perception is selection....reality is like a liquid that we can compound int0 erm....wateva....shape we like....it's not nesserily the the correct shape....there are no CORRECT shapes....it takes the form that we understand and accept.

The numerical world is easy to represent and verify, so I don't get wat u don't get about that example given.

Although....we we shape our reality with words....it can all get a lil complicated depending on how we choose to represent the information, it's possible to simplify our reality, or complicate it, but there's only one intense reality....and sadly....sum things just don't get any simpler. But Ill try.....

We label our reality....or perceptions with nouns, and use universal grammer to connect, illustrate, compose...etc the genius of language allows us to express in depth the 'ideas' that we understand....it is ideas that shape our reality....ideas of the self, others, and blah blah blah blah..sometimes I jus bump ma head puttin it all together...hehe

The only truth i know is that i'm alive right now , and that i intend to be tomorrow followed by the days after that. Everything is is questionable . That i find to be the truth.

death and taxes

Our perceptions are our realities but not reality itself.

I think in a nutshell this is exactly what I was trying to get at. The next question is how do you decide the difference between the two? In some cases it is very easy, like the volcano example in this thread. In other cases like religion, etc… it is not so easy. Partially because we have not found the absolute truth that the vast majority of the populace can agree on to a lot of those things. This thread is a perfect example of what I am trying to hint at. To one God and the Bible is reality equally so to the air we breathe for another, they are meaningless. Which one is reality?

Of course there are other examples of our perception and mind tricking us into thinking something is reality when it is not. In fear a perceived danger may become something greater than it actually is. Is that fear any less real? Even if it is a perceived danger, are not the emotions and feelings created from it real?

Let’s say I convince enough people that aliens killed my dog to the point that it goes down in history that aliens killed my dog. Of course the reality of the situation is that my dog was hit by a car but the world has come to believe that it was an alien. The reality is far different from what is perceived but because enough people believed it, what is perceived becomes reality. I just find it fascinating because it makes you wonder if we can truly believe anything that is written in the history books? Just because enough people believe it, does it make it true? It is very easy to argue yes in some instances and in others it is not.