Random INFJ characteristics... | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Random INFJ characteristics...

Hmm, I think I know what you're getting at, and it crossed by mind this morning but I didn't think anyone would waste time on a technicality. But I shall rephrase:

"I have witnessed several instances where INFJ's have passed judgement and labeled others".

INFJs sometimes...

1. Like to do things their own way even when it might be an inconvenience.
2. Become overly self conscious and worry compulsively about what others are thinking about them.
3. Are terrified of looking stupid or incompetent.
4. Do things in a tedious way out of fear of making a mistake.
5. Dismiss an idea before getting all the facts.
6. Be overly idealistic when they should be realistic and be overly cynical when they should be optimistic.
7. Have an inflated sense of self importance.
8. Procrastinate.
9. Resist doing something just because others want them to do it.
10. Obsessively fear being controlled by others.

:m173:

Personally...
1. Not so much
2. YES.
3. Yep.
4. Too often.
5. That depends...usually, I try not to.
6. Nope. I've conditioned myself against that.
7. Sometimes, but I keep that to myself
8. Learned not to the hard way
9. I used to a lot more, but I've matured
10. Sometimes, yeah, but not so much specific people as society as a whole.

INFJs sometimes...

2. Become overly self conscious and worry compulsively about what others are thinking about them.
6. Be overly idealistic when they should be realistic and be overly cynical when they should be optimistic.
8. Procrastinate.

:m173:

1. Yes, completly.
2. Yup.
3. Yes.
4. Kinda, yes.
5. Haha oh yeah...
6. Yes.
7. Yes, but I don't allow myself to think that.
8. Yes/no. I sort of do.
9. Oh yeah, big time. I buck nearly anything someone tells me to do.
10. I don't fear it, but I greatly resist it.

The coughing monkey admits nothing!

Ok enough people here admitted to being clumsy. Satya, I think you can add that do your excellent list. :D

Consider it added. Although I'm not that clumsy. Years of hiking and martial arts have made me pretty aware of my feet. I walk funny though. And I jump curves, just like I did when I was a little kid.

Hm...I'm starting to think that procrastination is my unique bad habit.

Last edited:
Random INFJ characteristics

It's quite funny that you mention this! I'm always on the verge of tripping!

Even as an able-bodied person, I was something of a klutz, though paradoxically, I was also quite ahtletic and well-coordinated. Since having a stroke 17 years ago I have had to learn to pay close attention to what I'm doing, planning out my movements--which body parts go where--whenever I transfer out of my wheelchair. It's been a difficult lesson to learn, even after all this time, despite paying rather enormous prices for even small distractions: a fractured hip, a broken shoulder and thumb, 13 hours spent on a hardwood floor one night waiting for my aide to arrive and scrape my fanny off the floor and deposit me back in my wheelchair.

The upshot of all this is I'm still a klutz when it comes to the simple stuff. My roomie, also in a wheelchair, and an ESTJ, never seems to have these problems. My b/f, however, another wheelchair user and an ENFJ, seems more accident prone even after 34 years in a chair. Maybe it's an NF thing.

That don't get talked about a lot.
:m155:
Whel I know several INFJS

They all:

Have very strange eating habits

Are extremely stubborn

i don't have strange eating habits.

however, i am extremely stubborn. but i think my accurate intuition makes me that way. ie, my gut instinct is usually right, so why should i ever ignore it?

Here's another INFJ characteristic: Being a freedom fighter.

I'm taking AP English this year, and we switch teachers every five weeks (it's like a team up kind of thing). I loathe this class so much. I used to love English before this. But they have this holier-than-thou attitude that we are mere peasants who know nothing and must be enlightened in so many ways, because we won't get any of this elsewhere! True for many of my peers, but a lot of the stuff they teach I'm already quite familiar with, and sometimes they get facts wrong. Oftentime I'm sitting in the class like "Mmm hmm.....wrong."

We had to write a reflection of the class during the past semester, and mine was quite scathing in a cynical way. One of the teachers pulled me aside and asked what was wrong, stating that "I'm quite cynical for my age." I just smiled and nodded and thought to myself, "Screw you man."

I'm doing quite good in that class though.

Here's another INFJ characteristic: Being a freedom fighter.

I'm taking AP English this year, and we switch teachers every five weeks (it's like a team up kind of thing). I loathe this class so much. I used to love English before this. But they have this holier-than-thou attitude that we are mere peasants who know nothing and must be enlightened in so many ways, because we won't get any of this elsewhere! True for many of my peers, but a lot of the stuff they teach I'm already quite familiar with, and sometimes they get facts wrong. Oftentime I'm sitting in the class like "Mmm hmm.....wrong."

We had to write a reflection of the class during the past semester, and mine was quite scathing in a cynical way. One of the teachers pulled me aside and asked what was wrong, stating that "I'm quite cynical for my age." I just smiled and nodded and thought to myself, "Screw you man."

I'm doing quite good in that class though.

It seems like everyone I know who had AP english had an experience very akin to this. One of the reasons I chose not to take it. I really enjoyed my advanced english class, and learned alot from it.

Ya freedom fighters!

Yeah, I have had experiences like this, although more at my old school than the one I'm at now...they're pretty good here. However, the students here have that sort of attitude, so I'm often doing the same thing when listening to them speak instead :doh:

So I guess we might as well grow accustom to it.

INFJs sometimes...

A. Have strange eating habits.
B. Are stubborn.

C. Tend to trip alot.

8. Procrastinate.

D. Tend to be freedom fighters.

A. I will go through phases where I eat the same thing everyday for the same meal for weeks, then not eat it again for years. I'm also very fussy about what I won't eat until I get an intuition to try something new, at which point it becomes my favorite meal for a few weeks.
B. Stubborn is too weak of a word. I am intractable.
C. I tripped a lot when I was younger, but always managed to catch my footing before I actually fell, even on the ice. I often joked that I was the world's most graceful klutz. I would constantly drop or knock over things, but catch them before they hit the ground. I didn't pay a lot of attention to my surroundings, but had the reflexes to get away with it. Now that I'm older, I move slower and pay more attention to my surroundings. I don't create my own accidents nearly as often, and usually catch people or the things that they drop or knock over. I've still got that Ni spidey sense and Fe reflexes.

1. I insist upon doing things my own way, and get quite bent out of shape when I cant. My way is usually a much better way, and if it isn't, I need to experiment so I can understand it better.
2. I am more inclined to worry if people like me, or if I've done something to make people not like me. I probably ask people what they think about me far more than I should.
3. I have no fear of this that I know of (happens too often to bother worrying about), but love to look cool and extremely competent, and have been known to go out of my way to appear so by secretly practicing a skill or task for days.
4. If I don't feel especially competent at something or there is a great risk involved, I will do it the tedious way to make sure it gets done right. Usually, at some point, a better way just hits me in the middle of it.
5. Why get all the facts when you have the answer? Sheesh. Hehe. You gotta love Ni.
6. I couldn't word this better. However, I'm usually proven right when I pick an 'unrealistic' extreme. They can't be too unrealistic if they are the truth, can they? However, I could really do a better job of not polarizing my feelings on the subject, and especially do a better job of not vehemently pouring them on the people around me who are trying to stay balanced toward the issue.
7. I feel that my inflated sense of self importance is at the proper air pressure. I'm the only person I know who is always right, the voice of morality and reason, empathy and compassion, wisdom and insight. If I wasn't constantly saving the world around me, can you imagine how terrible things would be? Oh wait. They get along just fine without me... though when I show back up they're seldom in as good a state as when I left.
8. I'm procrastinating now!
9. Only if the motivation is to control me. If someone genuinely needs me to do something, I'm more than helpful.
10. I think I trust people, as well as my ability to see through people, too much to fear being controlled. I always see it coming, and either deflect it gracefully, or directly confront them if they make me unable to deflect.

D. I do my fair share of standing up for justice, even at risk of great personal harm, especially for those who are victims of deliberate wrong doing. However, the desire to be an advocate for the less fortunate is more of an INFP trait. INFPs and ENFPs seem to have a strange ability to overlook personal accountability. More often than not, I've seen them get mired in a quest to help people that won't help themselves. I'll fight to the end against injustice, but I won't fight for someone's right to continue to do the wrong thing. I'll help anyone who sincerely seeks my help, but I won't force it on people, and certainly won't waste my time on people who don't want it. Someone has to express a need for me to help them. For example, I've broken up a fight between complete strangers when someone was getting beat up and clearly not fighting back, but I wouldn't break up a fight between strangers who were actively attacking each other. As another example, I volunteer at the literacy council and believe in free educational access for anyone who wants it, but I won't stand up for compensations for people who refuse to seek education. To me, it is just as much of an injustice to expect others to take care of you (unless you are disabled) when you are unwilling to take care of yourself as it is to deny someone help when they sincerely need it to become self sufficicent and eventually help others.

I tend to not eat when I am busy working on something I need to get done. And all my other quirks in life have come from life and my reaction to it. So my habits may be strange to others but they fit me just fine. I will pass judgment on people and later I find that I was right about them. We judge all the time so what's the big deal? I just may not like you or your group. I am sure you don't like me either..lol I have also noticed that I can cause a ruckus just by stating my opinions. When I start to talk about how I feel most people can't relate.. Nothing new though..

I tend to not eat when I am busy working on something I need to get done. And all my other quirks in life have come from life and my reaction to it. So my habits may be strange to others but they fit me just fine. I will pass judgment on people and later I find that I was right about them. We judge all the time so what's the big deal? I just may not like you or your group. I am sure you don't like me either..lol I have also noticed that I can cause a ruckus just by stating my opinions. When I start to talk about how I feel most people can't relate.. Nothing new though..

Yes I completly agree with the being judgemental bit. I feel hypocritical saying this (because I seldom stop myself), we really should give people the benifit of the doubt. Again, I feel hypocritial about saying this because I normally dont, unless the person forces themselves onto to me and I learn otherwise. But people could appear one way, and be completly different. Having met people like this, I keep this into concideration. However, once I see a pattern within this, it will likely go away, lol.

They're clumsy and tend to trip frequently lol, or at least I am...can anyone else relate or is it just me?

lolz That's me! :m074: It's funny, people tell me I'm such a graceful point dancer, but in person I'm always tripping and bumping into things Anyone else like this?

I used to always give people the benefit of the doubt until proven other wise. I would also not look at you and pass judgment. I do both things now. And I don't feel bad about it anymore. I look at it like this. This is my life, and I don't have to let just anyone into it. I am careful who I hang with now. I used to be friends with everyone. I found out that I knew a lot of people but had few real friends. I am polite to people I meet on the street and in my everyday life. It's funny but I think we all really need to sit down and really talk to each other. I really don't think people sit around and talk about life anymore. It's one thing the internet has helped although I would rather be in another persons presence..

I'm careful with who I "let inside" or associate with on a voluntary basis, but I don't pass judgment on people who are doing their own thing. I don't really have problems with people, mostly because I have an unusually easy time putting myself in their place; I naturally look from other people's eyes.

That's not to say I don't make assessments; I'll notice characteristics, both good and bad, and I guess I kind of make notes about where they should be in my social book; whether I should keep them at arms length, a casual friend, someone to talk to, etc. I don't realize I'm doing this most of the time.

However, I rarely condemn people. Everyone has good and bad, and I understand why people do what they do; sometimes, I'm a little too lenient, I think. But, I don't have enemies because of it, and that's nice.

I will pass judgment on people and later I find that I was right about them. We judge all the time so what's the big deal?

The big deal is knowing the difference between passing judgment on a person vs. their action. People are imperfect and make mistakes all the time. And if you correctly judge every person you meet, then congratulations, you'd be the first person in the world that could boast such an accomplishment. One can make valuable observations without passing judgment on the individual.

I think you just past judgment on me...And it is not a big deal at all. All humans do it to everyone everyday for all kinds of reasons that we don't understand. It does not make them right or wrong, it is just the way it is. And like I said before how I feel about you or anyone else is really my problem and as long as I keep to myself and don't hurt anyone it's still not a problem...

Last edited: