Questions About Christianity | Page 9 | INFJ Forum

Questions About Christianity

We choose our denomination, or some stay where they've been raised. I don't subscribe to everything in any denomination I've attended.

I was raised Baptist, so I've always subscribed to the trinity.

The Canon decided what books were in and which were not deemed credible.

Last edited:
Welll... it's been a long time since that Old Testament class in college, so... lemme link you somewhere more exact, but it's like a panel of judges who determined if certain books were actually inspired by God or man made.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_canon

EDIT: It would help if I spelled canon right. ;D

That's how all the gnostic gospels got left out :(

That's how all the gnostic gospels got left out :(

Yes

So what was the agenda of the people who cherry picked the gospels that went into the carefully packaged bible?

Yes

So what was the agenda of the people who cherry picked the gospels that went into the carefully packaged bible?

Nothing lesser than the whole world domination :p

World denunciation.

It's fascinating how so many Christians seem to believe that blind conformity is the best possible way to celebrate a Jewish revolutionary.

None are so blind as those who cannot see. There are those that study a lifetime to understand a subject, and pass with high grades; yet, they never understand how to apply what they have learned. There are others that apply things they know not what they apply; yet, they never understand what they have not studied. There are still others that understand with their hearts what they see; yet, their hearts are cold so they neither understand nor apply what they have seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze
I guess that makes sense.

Reactions: just me
Then there is the blind couple I used to pick up and drive to church. They lived in what we know as darkness so they could see better. They poured water for each other with one finger in the glass so they would know when it was full. They fed and watered their bird as well as those with light in their eyes. They touched each other's clothing to insure they looked well enough for others to see. They watched out for each other. They knew when it was time for church. They were always thankful for anyone that helped them in any way. In all their affliction, they saw something in that church that had them come every Sunday. What they received was applied. They understood what they studied not. They received well what they saw with warm hearts. Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God. What they heard when people helped them to get to church, when people helped them to sit in their spot they enjoyed sitting in, by the warmth they felt from others in the group, by the words they listened to from the one speaking, and who they enjoyed singing praises with.....and praying with; the feelings they received in love: all was their reason for getting up each Sunday and looking forward to going to church. What that couple saw in their blindness was far more than what most people see in their sight. So many take for granted what they looked forward to, and they did look forward to it. Until one has experienced such joy and love, one need not think they see any of the wonderful things God has created. For the Kingdom of God is far more than meat and drink; than mountains and valleys; than trees and rivers; none are so blind as those that cannot see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze
Question to non-Catholics:

Who determines what your official beliefs/dogmas/doctrines/sources are?

eg. Who determines that belief in the Blessed Trinity is an article of your faith? (Not explicit in Scripture)?
eg. Who determines which books are included in your Bible? (Why the epistle of St James isn't included)?
etc. etc.

Depends on which branch of protestant Christianity your talking about. Most branches have their own system and hierarchy while others follow an independent church model in which the each church is governed by a group of elders or by the body as a whole.

Reactions: Flavus Aquila
Question to non-Catholics:

Who determines what your official beliefs/dogmas/doctrines/sources are?

eg. Who determines that belief in the Blessed Trinity is an article of your faith? (Not explicit in Scripture)?
eg. Who determines which books are included in your Bible? (Why the epistle of St James isn't included)?
etc. etc.

Whatever the RCC believes the protestants probably believe otherwise as the RCC is the true defining force behind the protestant religion/beliefs/practices.

Reactions: Flavus Aquila
Depends on which branch of protestant Christianity your talking about. Most branches have their own system and hierarchy while others follow an independent church model in which the each church is governed by a group of elders or by the body as a whole.
A great, compact answer.

What is the theological/scriptural basis for these hierarchs/elders/collectives' legitimacy in interpreting Scripture, or determining doctrine?

I can see how each individual might have his/her own interpretations/beliefs - but no one would claim their own beliefs to be authoritative for others' beliefs.

Whatever the RCC believes the protestants probably believe otherwise as the RCC is the true defining force behind the protestant religion/beliefs/practices.
I have heard it said that 70% of protestants' time is spent justifying/showing how one can actually be Christian, without being part of the Catholic Church.

A great, compact answer.

What is the theological/scriptural basis for these hierarchs/elders/collectives' legitimacy in interpreting Scripture, or determining doctrine?

I can see how each individual might have his/her own interpretations/beliefs - but no one would claim their own beliefs to be authoritative for others' beliefs.

Churches that have hierarchy tend to have it based on tradition and by-laws, with some form of biblical interpretation validify their position. Independent churches are by their nature individualistic with a wide range as to why they hold the positions they do. The churches that hold to the deacon-elder system which is common among restoration movement churches follow a hold to the outlines set forth in Acts, Timothy and Titus. Which state that it is the job of the deacons to take care of the day to day tasks of the church while the Elders are to lead the church in preaching, teaching and spiritual matters.

I'm from the latter group.

I have heard it said that 70% of protestants' time is spent justifying/showing how one can actually be Christian, without being part of the Catholic Church.

I spend 70% percent of my time explaining that Catholics are Christians.

None are so blind as those who cannot see. There are those that study a lifetime to understand a subject, and pass with high grades; yet, they never understand how to apply what they have learned. There are others that apply things they know not what they apply; yet, they never understand what they have not studied. There are still others that understand with their hearts what they see; yet, their hearts are cold so they neither understand nor apply what they have seen.

Yeah, if someone really doesn't want to believe, they will find things rationalize their disinterest in belief. They will find something contrary to support their feelings. Fair or not, for many it's clearly not about understanding or seeking truth, but negating anything that they don't want to believe or mocking something they don't understand or really want to understand. You can give someone all the evidence in the world and they will still find something to contradict or criticize. If someone doesn't want to believe, they will find things to say to reinforce that non belief. But it's not the fault or failing of believers and their beliefs if those who don't believe dislike, demean, and put down that belief. Putting others down because they believe based on the perception that there is no reason, proof, or validity for those beliefs is just as ignorant, intolerant, and discriminatory as demeaning others because they don't believe. If you don't believe, take responsibility for your own feelings, and don't blame others for not "proving" enough that what they believe is valid. There are more than enough reasons to believe. So, if there is a choice not to believe, then that's a choice. No one can force anyone to believe. We can nitpick the Bible or Christian principles all we want, but it still comes down to personal faith.

Reactions: just me
That is another thumbs up, btw.

It's a common misconception that 'good people go to heaven, bad people go to hell'. Honestly, it's about a commitment, dedication, and relationship with God and Jesus Christ through the Spirit that is so hard to get down in words that you're probably either scratching your head, laughing, or preparing a rebuttal while reading this. You see, Jesus doesn't look at what you did, or how many people you saved, or how humble you were - he looks at why you did it. No, killing people in the name of God does not get you into heaven - that's not what I mean when I say he looks at the motive. I'm saying if you are following the Bible, going after God, and loving all as yourself, but keeping Him as the foremost thing in your life - there's nothing really that you've got to worry about.

You are right in pointing out the common misconception "good people go to Heaven, bad people go to Hell." However, your reasoning that " Jesus doesn't look at what you did but why you did is incorrect. Christianity isn't about good intentions. Wouldn't good intentions be an action you would be required to take in and of itself? None of us would ever be able to have good enough intentions to save us, ever. Also, you perhaps unintentionally contradicted yourself when you said
It's a common misconception that 'good people go to heaven, bad people go to hell'. Honestly, it's about a commitment, dedication, and relationship with God and Jesus Christ through the Spirit
. You are saying Christianity is not based on whether you are a good person or bad person, but in your next statement you say that it's about a person's commitment, dedication, and relationship with God and Jesus Christ. How much commitment and dedication would you have to have? There is no way our own actions could save ourselves. This is what the Bible is about-Every human being is born into a sinful state, and a broken relationship with God. (Psalm 51:5-6) God can't be around sin, because He is perfection. His very nature cannot tolerate the presence of sin. He is after all God; perfection. Without the Holy Spirit dwelling within us, we can never be in a relationship with God. This was God's purpose in sending His holy son Jesus to Earth. Jesus is perfection- God who came to Earth in the flesh. Jesus came to Earth to save us from our sin, and the consequences of our sin (death). He was the perfect sacrifice, the perfect payment. Jesus sacrificed Himself for our sakes by allowing Himself to be crucified on a cross. His death was enough to pay the price for our sins. after three days, Christ resurrected from the grave. Death could not keep perfection in it's grip. Since Jesus paid the price for us completely, why are we all not saved? The answer to this is because God has given us free will. We can either choose to believe and put our faith in Jesus to save us, or refuse Him. In John 3:16-17, we are told- "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son to into the world to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through Him." What then are we supposed to believe about Jesus? Most historians will tell you that a man named Jesus walked the Earth, who professed to be one with God. Is it believing that Jesus was one with God and died on the cross for our sins; paying the price for them completely? in James 2:19 we are told that the demons believe that there is one God, and tremble. ( In other places throughout the New Testament of the Bible we see that the demons believed Jesus was God.) After all, doesn't Satan believe in God? So we can see that believing in Jesus means more than believing in His existence. First off, it begins with accepting Jesus is was who He claimed to be. ( The divine Son of God, who came to Earth and sacrificed Himself for our sake, dying then rising from the grave; basically believing what was stated above). But in order to be saved, you must put your faith in Jesus Christ to save you from your sins; trusting that what He did was enough to save you, but also trusting in Him personally to save you from your sin. Basically, trusting in God's integrity. The most difficult part of believing is having faith that Jesus will keep His promise. However, I am confident that He will. So as you can see, there is no work involved in being saved, but only faith in somebody else's work; and a trust in that person who completed the work to keep their promise. It is simply faith in Jesus Christ. This is what the Bible is all about. Upon putting our faith in Jesus, we are saved and the Holy Spirit begins to dwell in us. (Ephesians 1:13)
A very small, yet increasingly loud, viewpoint is that we are all saved by grace
Cerce, According to Romans 3:23-24-"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, being justified freely through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus." (We can't redeem ourselves!) in Romans 4:5 we are told-" But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness" In Ephesians 2:8 believers are reminded that " For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. In fact, we are told in Romans 4: 4 " To him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but debt." If you need anymore proof that we are indeed saved by grace through faith, I suggest the book Romans in the Bible. John, Galatians, and Ephesians are also excellent books to read.
Humans have tried to perfect ourselves by our own actions many times over, and have yet to succeed. The idea that if we work hard enough, we will eventually become perfect in God's sight is silly. Simply crack open a history book if you want to see what I mean. To everybody reading this who isn't interested in this stuff, I encourage you to think about the implications for eternity if Christianity is valid. Maybe it would be worth it to take a deeper look. I truly am sorry if I come across as harsh in this post; it just seemed that there weren't many clear cut answers being given that were backed up by the Bible. This is something very close to my heart. I am also sorry about the length of this post! I hope somebody takes the time to read it! I realize that there are a lot of questions I didn't answer. Paladin-X, I would love to talk about this some more with you, if you would be at all interested. I know I didn't talk about the likely-hood of God's existence compared to other Atheism and other beliefs, etc. etc., but I would be happy to discuss this sort of thing in a later post. Here is the name of a great video on Youtube- " THE NEW BIRTH-What does it really mean to be 'Born Again' . it was created by current pastor, who is an INTJ. He did a really wonderful job explaining things!

[video=youtube;Bgm4O3uCdZ0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgm4O3uCdZ0[/video]