Questions About Christianity | Page 7 | INFJ Forum

Questions About Christianity

What is "Biblical Validity" *raises eyebrow while picking nose*

Last edited:
Well, in all honesty, if you were to take science, logic, and the like, and try to apply it to a religion that believes in a God that goes above and beyond adequate description, it doesn't exactly fit. Talking snakes and donkeys? Pigs possessed with demons? Dead coming back to life? Who the hell in their right /logical/ mind would believe in that?

But it doesn't matter. It's faith. It's knowing without proof, believing against all odds.

Biblical validity is this: Let's say someone says "The Bible said [insert generic sin] is wrong." So, then we take a look at the Bible, see if we can find a verse that says that it is wrong or right, and thus prove the statement correct or incorrect. Sort of like checking a source.

very scholarly

I've got a question for my fellow Christians, or any that aren't who would like to chime in with a bit of knowledge on the subject.

I've always wondered where it Biblicaly states that the Earth is of a certain age, and why it is that some believe that the earth is only a couple thousand years old (maybe couple hundred thousand). Should the passage of scripture stating that a thousand years is like a day to God, and a day is like a thousand years to God, be taken into account? If so, could that possibly point to the seven days of creation being seven thousand years? Or am I over thinking this?

Yeah, I'm playing a bit of a 'devil's advocate' on this one. I know what I believe, but I'm just wondering what others think of all this.

And, for clarification, I'd like to know the Biblical reasoning. I'm not interested in carbon dating or scientific evidence - I want to know what this means within my own faith, not within the broad spectrum of humanity as a whole.

There is not a biblical verse I can quote, it is a compilation of adding dates in the bible that brings one to deduce the 6000 year number. Also I don't think the 1000 years is like a day verse applies because it is being taken out of context when you treat it that way.

I love you all!
No matter what you think or believe, I love you anyhow.

To follow Jesus is to live beyond yourself, and so much more.

Impossible to define here...

How to become love? Jesus did it. Read up what he said.

Reactions: muir
I've got a question for my fellow Christians, or any that aren't who would like to chime in with a bit of knowledge on the subject.

I've always wondered where it Biblicaly states that the Earth is of a certain age, and why it is that some believe that the earth is only a couple thousand years old (maybe couple hundred thousand). Should the passage of scripture stating that a thousand years is like a day to God, and a day is like a thousand years to God, be taken into account? If so, could that possibly point to the seven days of creation being seven thousand years? Or am I over thinking this?

Yeah, I'm playing a bit of a 'devil's advocate' on this one. I know what I believe, but I'm just wondering what others think of all this.

And, for clarification, I'd like to know the Biblical reasoning. I'm not interested in carbon dating or scientific evidence - I want to know what this means within my own faith, not within the broad spectrum of humanity as a whole.

I think Uberogo has the right idea. No passage actually says it but people have inferred a figure from the dates given.

As for the reality, well, think about it. Does any moment except the present one actually exist? Where is the past and future? Are we not just experiencing a neverending present moment?

Everything is contained within the present moment. From me sitting at my computer typing this to you reading it. Right now there are people looking at the Grand Canyon, a couple kissing atop the Eiffel Tower, dozens are born and dozens die. Cells and particles are reproduced. Stars are born and die. The present moment IS everything because nothing else really exists.

But we know that things that are not a part of this moment have happened. But when? Where? So perhaps it is all the same moment. Maybe something can be billions of years old AND be created in an instant!

What Muir says about duality is something to look into if you have not already. It is very fascinating. I urge you not to automatically repel that which doesn't seem to be in line with your beliefs because if you are capable of suspending disbelief to get as far as you have it would be a real shame to stop now.

No, I'm sorry, but no. I know my beliefs to be true. Theories and energies and the like - they can't compare from what I've seen. When you are healed from an ailment that has plagued you for 16 years, or when your friend no longer has stomach ulcers because of the power of duality, feel free to come back to me. I'm not here to preach, I'm not here to convert, I'm here to enjoy myself, gain a bit of understanding of what exactly I am as a person, and see if I can help others along the way. Duality is not something I'm interested in.

Duality

[video=youtube;dLrMVous0Ac]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLrMVous0Ac[/video]

How we got the bible

[video=youtube;Cw62X69hV-0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw62X69hV-0[/video]

Miracles

[video=youtube;6qSCaxaUyf8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qSCaxaUyf8[/video]

Duality is not something I'm interested in.
Aren't you interested in other ideas and concepts outside your own set of beliefs? Just for information and maybe broading your vision?

If you ascribe to the Christian duality of good vs. evil or God vs. Satan, then technically you are.

No it isn't, it is something that you are in

But reality is an illusion

[video=youtube;JF61lhEeGng]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF61lhEeGng[/video]

Last edited:
Reactions: Cornerstone
Seriously, is it too much to say that I know what I believe? I'm not trying to preach to you and broaden your views. I'm just trying to ask and answer questions about Christianity, not duality. If you'd like to make a 'Questions about Duality' thread, feel free, but until then, I'd rather stay on topic.

[MENTION=1871]muir[/MENTION] Reality is not JUST illusion... to say so is inaccurate.

substituting truth for a thought like 'all is illusion' is not correct

I agree with you if you mean to say that Reality is not summed up in all we see with our eyes and perceive with our mind.

I've seen and experienced some things that simply don't agree with standard logic, philosophy, man's wisdom...

I've seen too much to climb inside that box again
If you choose to believe your reality is an illusion, it is your choice to do so.
If Alan Watts wants to preach his unreal reality there is gonna be an audience for him.

I just can't buy it... I have seen too much!
I don't know how to transmit my experience to others through this text box...
I can only hope that whoever reads this on the other end recognizes sincerity.
I'm not the same person I was even a few weeks ago.
We are so much more than we think we are.
When we begin to grasp what reality IS, that is freedom, that's walking in the light, enlightenment.

This is what Jesus is all about.
We who follow Jesus are learning about our true nature. Heaven flows out through us to the world.

I can only testify that The Kingdom of Heaven is real.
His love flows out through me... it is mind boggling.
Heart can go where mind struggles to follow.

We are in the world but not of it.
Jesus, truth, love, God reality... it is not just myth.
This is more than an easter story, more than religion, more than what Christianity has represented until now.
Truth isn't subject to popular belief.

Man was created for love. Truth is simply profound!

I could sit here and type about it forever.
I just wanted to share a bit of my heart right now.

I may not personally know you but I love you too much to agree to disagree. I won't debate but I won't deny the truth either.
I've seen too much!

Following Jesus means persecution is to be expected.
People mock and scoff what they don't understand.
I'm just preaching that freedom is here and available for all.
Be free and know who you are. Your father is in Heaven, you are made in His image!

The Kingdom is here! It really is good news!
Be well people! Peace to you all!

*He sighs* Can we get off the damn debates and ask questions/provide answers about Christianity? Sorry, it's starting to tick me off. It's a Q and A thread - supposedly - not a debate thread. And no, duality does not fall under Christianity, so please don't try that again by saying that one is part of the other.

@muir Reality is not JUST illusion... to say so is inaccurate.

substituting truth for a thought like 'all is illusion' is not correct

I agree with you if you mean to say that Reality is not summed up in all we see with our eyes and perceive with our mind.

I've seen and experienced some things that simply don't agree with standard logic, philosophy, man's wisdom...

I've seen too much to climb inside that box again
If you choose to believe your reality is an illusion, it is your choice to do so.
If Alan Watts wants to preach his unreal reality there is gonna be an audience for him.

I just can't buy it... I have seen too much!
I don't know how to transmit my experience to others through this text box...
I can only hope that whoever reads this on the other end recognizes sincerity.
I'm not the same person I was even a few weeks ago.
We are so much more than we think we are.
When we begin to grasp what reality IS, that is freedom, that's walking in the light, enlightenment.

This is what Jesus is all about.
We who follow Jesus are learning about our true nature. Heaven flows out through us to the world.

I can only testify that The Kingdom of Heaven is real.
His love flows out through me... it is mind boggling.
Heart can go where mind struggles to follow.

We are in the world but not of it.
Jesus, truth, love, God reality... it is not just myth.
This is more than an easter story, more than religion, more than what Christianity has represented until now.
Truth isn't subject to popular belief.

Man was created for love. Truth is simply profound!

I could sit here and type about it forever.
I just wanted to share a bit of my heart right now.

I may not personally know you but I love you too much to agree to disagree. I won't debate but I won't deny the truth either.
I've seen too much!

Following Jesus means persecution is to be expected.
People mock and scoff what they don't understand.
I'm just preaching that freedom is here and available for all.
Be free and know who you are. Your father is in Heaven, you are made in His image!

The Kingdom is here! It really is good news!
Be well people! Peace to you all!

this pretty much says it all. I propose we abandon this particular thread

this pretty much says it all. I propose we abandon this particular thread

I propose we continue on with this Q&A.

I propose we continue on with this Q&A.
ok but lets make sure each question gets three answers

one that is "biblically valid" complete with chapter and verse

one that is poetically christian

and one more universalistic