Prop 8 Overturned!! | INFJ Forum

Prop 8 Overturned!!

I doubt it will last, but for the moment, good for them.

Why do you doubt it will last?

Becasue the United States populace is often sheep like and they listen far to well to the fear mongers.

Even so, I hope this is a sign of whats to come.

Becasue the United States populace is often sheep like and they listen far to well to the fear mongers.

At this point it is irrelevant. The case will go on to the Appeals Court, which is notoriously liberal and who will likely hold up the verdict and then it will go up to the Supreme Court, where just about anything could happen. The Supreme Court is currently the most conservative it has been since the 1950s. When this case makes it that far, it will be a true test of whether or not same sex marriage is based on conservative values.

Where this leads now is likely a Federal Constitutional Amendment to define marriage as between one man and one woman. Given that there are over 30 states with Constitutional Amendments defining marriage as such, it isn't unlikely that such an amendment could be passed. I imagine by 2012, we could see such an amendment being made to the Constituion of the United States, and that would be a truly sad day.

Sweet I can finally get hitched!

Reactions: VH
I believe in tax cuts...

Why are marriages still that important? (rhetorical question) With the age of first marriage sky-rocketing in the recent few decades (since WW2 essentially), a day may come when almost nobody marries; except gay couples, because they need to emphasize how equal they are, and not at all oppressed, or feeling different!
What do you expect?

Congrats? :) I got a feeling this will be kindof messy... but still, congrats. :)

Why are marriages still that important? (rhetorical question) With the age of first marriage sky-rocketing in the recent few decades (since WW2 essentially), a day may come when almost nobody marries; except gay couples, because they need to emphasize how equal they are, and not at all oppressed, or feeling different!
What do you expect?

Not much but I hope some continued good will come of this ruling. But I have lost a lot of faith in my countries ability to see reason.

The downside to this is now I'm going to have to hear how an "activist judge" overturned the "will of the people". Which is getting ridiculous at this point because the will of the people is the Constitution of the United States.

I have a feeling it will pass through the supreme court when it gets there.

This will certainly make the Kegan confirmation a lot more interesting.

The timing couldn't be more insane. The day before the floor vote.

I have a feeling it will pass through the supreme court when it gets there.

I hope hope that happens. I would love to see us actually move forward. It saddens me to no end that our country is so backwards when it comes to these matters. If gay marriage actually was allowed and supported. I might be able to respect the US a little again.

This will certainly make the Kegan confirmation a lot more interesting.

The timing couldn't be more insane. The day before the floor vote.

Yeah lovely timing. The thing is though the dems have just enough majority and there are those select GOP who are for her, so I think she will get confirmed.

Also, the supreme court is on the conservitive side, but its been voting just liberal enough. I could see it passing by a 5v4 vote. Just pray ginsburg doesn't keel over.

Well, if they're going to allow straight marriage... this is good.

But personally, I STILL think marriage should be abolished as a legal status for everyone. Joint property seems like a bad concept. Marriage should be ceremonial.

I feel like married people do get advantages due to those rules that they don't really deserve, and that some people just get married in order to take advantage of them.

I feel like married people do get advantages due to those rules that they don't really deserve, and that some people just get married in order to take advantage of them.

That's exactly it.

Hopefully it will stick and an amendment to the constitution fails to materialize.

Honestly the abolition of the term marriage from law and have it replaced with civil unions I would think would be a better way to go about this. The fundis would get their tradition and everyone else their guaranteed benefits...