Proms proms and more proms | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Proms proms and more proms

edit: I don't see anything wrong with mini supermarket trollys at all though, I used to like wheeling one with a flag on too.

Shopping carts are useful er.. contraptions. Yes. They carry the goods. That's fine. That's necessary. But there's something sinister when the market is overtly telling you it is training your children. The flag did say, "Customer in training." Did you miss that part?

Last edited:
Shopping carts are useful er.. contraptions. Yes. They carry the goods. That's fine. That's necessary. But there's something sinister when the market is overtly telling you it is training your children. The flag did say, "Customer in training." Did you miss that part?

Then when you take the kids through the cereal aisle, all the cereal cartoons are looking down at them.

parents hired ball gowns and tuxedos for their seven-year-olds to wear at last year's event

This counters your argument Dragon. In the gender role society we live in, I really doubt that females are going to be dressed in tuxedo's, therefore the only conclusion that can be drawn is that there were males in attendence. As long as this is so, I see no problem with any of this.

Last edited:
This counters your argument Dragon. In the gender role society we live in, I really doubt that females are going to be dressed in tuxedo's, therefore the only conclusion that can be drawn is that there were males in attendence. As long as this is so, I see no problem with any of this.

How exactly does this go against what I said? I don't see how it applies. I was assuming males were in attendance; it doesn't change what I said; it changes your assumption of what I said.

I can remember primary school dances. And always being disappointed in them. My parents had me and the neighbours daughter and my sister and my friend all spending months learning ballroom dancing for the junior d

Innocent childhood times were gone once it became normal to send your own 7year olds (or whatever age kids start public school at) to someone else to babysit/ teach 5 days a week while you go and slave for some big business wanker.

Reactions: acd, slant and Faye
I didn't miss it, I just didn't think it was that relevant. Were the supermarkets to put substance in that little ditty and set up kiddie supermarket trolly conventions with mugs and tshirts reading "I am the next generation of shopper" or something, THEN I too would be concerned! However in something as mundane as a strip of text on a trolly I see no cause for concern.

In Holland when I had my flagged trolly, I believe there were similar things on them, stuff like 'mini shopper' in dutch. But I have not grown up to be an unquestioning drone of some corporation.

Lets face it these proms are not for the children they are for the parents. Parents that are obsessed with turning their children into mini adults. So they can take pictures and fawn over them. When I was their age I would have been happier catching bugs.

i wouldn't go anyway

OMG THAT'S YOU?

...wow that's adorable

I think it's sad that children are forced to grow up so fast these days. Having a prom is fine at the end of high school but for primary school students? Come on.

I don't think they should be worrying about that sort of stuff. Children are already pressured enough. Having a dance is fine but it's different when you turn it into a big deal for your children. They should be out running around and enjoying it because everyone knows it's downhill from middle school.

As for me, I never cared for dressing up as a kid. Too confining. For primary school graduation, we had a formal awards ceremony followed by a fun day of playing in the park. :m159:

Super cute picture, Shai. <3

hey! At 7 i WAS catching bugs.
Posted via Mobile Device

That was not sarcasm. I was an eminent bug catcher in my days. I would even build lego homes for them....

I was reading the paper today and lo and behold, they've introduced primary school proms for 7 year old girls. I was initially shocked but I don't know why. Every passing hour seems to bring yet another fad that takes another step in removing childhood innocence and their right to simple honest fun playing in the mud and whatnot. Social pressures are enough as they are let alone having it piled onto 7 year old kids in this way.

What are your views on the deterioration of children being able to simply be children and not be expected or brainwashed into thinking looks mean everything in general and proms in particular?

I personally abhor the parents for getting so stupidly obsessed with these sort of things and whilst it may seem innocent 'oh but she loves dressing up in a lovely dress and it's all so fun', in reality I believe it is stoking the flames of what I see as a bleak, brainless and unsustainable future for British society. I see it as part of a wider rotting of social fibre that includes things like unchecked hysteria at soldiers funerals which seems insincere that would not have been seen a couple of decades ago, things like 'rain tax' being proposed as well as people reaching 65 having to pay a

As time has gone on and this is a quite old thread, I've read a few books on things of this sort. I won't bore you with the titles as the titles are irrelevant. Just know that I've incorporated the minutia into my mind and am ready to relay it to you now.

The lower upperclass is very eager to advance thier offspring into the mid-upper class. I am sure these mothers had the best intentitions of setting thier child off on the right foot by doing this. Indeed it was completly useless. The True upper class doesn't participate in proms. Deep down, past the beautiful, shiny, golden wrapper around these mothers hearts is the darkest muck with that dark chocolate whispering voice which inspired Dance Moms.
abby-lee-miller.jpg